SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYChopper View Post
I am not too sure if anyone still follows this thread but I had to replace my tail motor due to a crash and did not pay attention to the orientation of the tail rotor itself. Is there any way to ensure I have installed it correctly?
Think of it as a wing ( a airfoil ),, and you want the top of the wing (curved part) facing towards the motor.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,472 Posts
Quote:
I am not too sure if anyone still follows this thread but I had to replace my tail motor due to a crash and did not pay attention to the orientation of the tail rotor itself. Is there any way to ensure I have installed it correctly?
Use my picture as a reference only as mine is on the UH-1 scale fuse and the tail rotor motor is on the other side and reversed.
Notice how the blade tips are rounded, with one point closer to the center than the other? In the picture, the rotor spins counter-clockwise so that the leading edge of the rotor is the one with the "shorter" corner. The shorter corner hits the wind first, followed by the taller corner of the blade tip.
Whichever way your main rotors turn, the tail will torque the opposite way. The tail rotor must spin so as to counter this spin. The motor must turn in the direction such that the tail blade bites into the wind with the "short corner" as the leading edge.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
I seem to recall that the shiny side goes out (away from the motor). This makes a surprising difference in how much thrust it puts out, and will work your tail motor very hard if installed backwards.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:18 PM
USA, NY, Watertown
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
I have been really thinking about buying one of these, I have a MCX, and I want to upgrade. My brother in law keeps telling me that I shouldn't bother with the SR and go straight to a 400 size copter...I just don't want to shell out that much cash for something that I am going to be learning on. Anyone have an opinion?
barnburner13 is offline Find More Posts by barnburner13
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:34 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner13 View Post
I have been really thinking about buying one of these, I have a MCX, and I want to upgrade. My brother in law keeps telling me that I shouldn't bother with the SR and go straight to a 400 size copter...I just don't want to shell out that much cash for something that I am going to be learning on. Anyone have an opinion?
My advise is what ever you do don't buy this one.. May be the nanoCPX, mCPX2, 130X or the 300 would be better..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner13 View Post
If you're coming from an MCX, you will more than likely crash your first CP heli. Which do want to crash more, a $200.00 heli or a $300.00 - $500.00 heli? Throughout this lengthy thread, you will see many posts about the SR NOT being a beginner friendly heli and how expensive it is to fix. You might want to look at something small for your first CP heli, maybe one of the electronically stabilized, flybarless ones. Small helis can take a crash much better than a bigger one because of lower mass. Take a look at the Blade MCP-X or for more money, the Blade 130-X.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
SR not a beginners CP Heli

@ Viper, you said it perfectly. I was given a SR for my first cp heli, MISTAKE! I ended up buying backward ( mCPX then a 130x). I have found the 130x to be more stable and if its we're available when I first bought the mCPX, I would have purchased the 130x.
mmilan is offline Find More Posts by mmilan
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
If you're coming from an MCX, you will more than likely crash your first CP heli. Which do want to crash more, a $200.00 heli or a $300.00 - $500.00 heli? Throughout this lengthy thread, you will see many posts about the SR NOT being a beginner friendly heli and how expensive it is to fix. You might want to look at something small for your first CP heli, maybe one of the electronically stabilized, flybarless ones. Small helis can take a crash much better than a bigger one because of lower mass. Take a look at the Blade MCP-X or for more money, the Blade 130-X.
I went through a larger coax and then to some micro fp birds. I was in a hobby shop local to where I was working at the time and got permission from the wife to buy the Blade SR UH-1 Huey. I liked the scale fuselage. I finally got both the courage and the weather opportunity to take it out and try it. Less that a few seconds and barely off the ground I knew I was over my head. I put it away and ordered a genius cp micro cp heli to practice on before i destroyed the huey.

I found the Genius to be an excellent trainer and very durable. If you are wanting to stick with the Blade line, the new nano CPX or MCPX would be something along similar lines. Whatever you go with definitely get a computer tx (Dx6i or above for the Blades).

I can now hover my SR Huey. Working on all orientations, thanks to the Genius. A small micro cp heli come highly recommended by this still relative noob!

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:20 AM
USA, NY, Watertown
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
yeah, I already have a dx6i, I have been flying planes for a few years. I think the nano CPX is looking good with the winter months approaching.
barnburner13 is offline Find More Posts by barnburner13
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
I seem to recall that the shiny side goes out (away from the motor). This makes a surprising difference in how much thrust it puts out, and will work your tail motor very hard if installed backwards.

-Chocula

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
OK, so after a mild crash landing on grass, my SR flew but had noticeable blade misalignment. One blade was significantly higher than the other when flying at eye level. Upon further examination, I think the spindle/feathering shaft is bent. How can I tell? One thing I noticed was that the blades/blade grip can be moved up and down when holding the blade grip; is this normal or another indication the spindle is bent? If they are out in flying position, one appears droopy or sagging.

Also, are the paddles on the flybar supposed to be flat or horizontal or at some pitch?
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,472 Posts
Even a mild crash can result in a bent feathering shaft. Only way to tell is to take it apart and examine it. There's a YouTube video that shows you how to do this.
Both blades together normally have a bit of a "see-saw" characteristic but each blade holder should not have much movement on their own. Flybar paddles should be level but I've seen some people put in a couple of degrees of up angle. This seems to give a small bit of stability in the hover. Stock is level. If one blade is "droopy", probably something got bent. Try to adjust the tracking to get rid of this and if it hovers OK, you may have bit the bullet. If not, I see some dismantling in your future.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
I'm a heli ignoramus as I play mostly with planes. However, sometimes I fly helis a bit. I picked up on trade a Blade SR and flew it twice. On the second flight it had a tipover accident and now is doing something I can't identify the cause of. The tail motor spins up to seemingly full speed with the application of any throttle causing the heli to just spin abound on the ground. Here is a crappy (ie: somewhat dark) video I captured of it doing it:

Blade issue (0 min 39 sec)

So, what needs replacing? Any hints?
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,472 Posts
Your tip over has bent or damaged something in the rotor head. One or both of your main blades has changed pitch severely enough to cause it to torque spin at well below hovering speeds. The tail blade cannot counteract that torque. You need to check for bent stuff, set the pitch for both blades and then check tracking once you can get it to at least spin up enough to lift off without augering itself into the ground. If you can't lift off, then you need to clamp the heli down and do the tracking that way. Or, you may have damaged the tail rotor. It may be too loose on the shaft, hence not getting driven firmly enough.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:30 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Your tip over has bent or damaged something in the rotor head. One or both of your main blades has changed pitch severely enough to cause it to torque spin at well below hovering speeds. The tail blade cannot counteract that torque. You need to check for bent stuff, set the pitch for both blades and then check tracking once you can get it to at least spin up enough to lift off without augering itself into the ground. If you can't lift off, then you need to clamp the heli down and do the tracking that way. Or, you may have damaged the tail rotor. It may be too loose on the shaft, hence not getting driven firmly enough.
Looked at the tracking of the blades. Definitely some separation. Gently tweaked on both blades to bring them into better (but not great) alignment and now when you cyclic (rudder) left it will stop spinning the tail rotor like crazy at about 1/2 throw. Don't see anything else damaged. Maybe it just needs a new set of blades.

Thks.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar