HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
Well I dont mind adding some weight to the front but again as I have stated... is this normal??? I would think a ready to fly heli would be READY TO FLY.. not lets add a bunch of weight and MAKE it fly..

Has anyone else run into this problem/issue.

Let me rephrase this.. so maybe you will understand my issue a little more.

So you go to your local Chevrolet dealer. plot down $30,000 for a new Camaro, then you drive it home. you come to realize they did not balance the tires, or do a front end alignment, or even set the timing.. but hey its ready to drive.

Metal..
Sort of; I would say they set the timing close, it is mostly aligned and the tires are close to being balanced. Will it fly right out of the box? Yes, but it would fly better after being tuned a bit. In the end, the plastic flexes quite a bit and there is some slop which means you will never keep it perfect, but it is also pretty forgiving of a less than stellar setup.

I have always had to mount the battery a bit forward to get the balance right, but everything still fits within the stock canopy. If you do need to weight it, try a bit of modeling clay in the nose of the canopy, the farther forward you add the weight, the less you will need. I have a couple of Sky LiPo and one Turnigy Nanotech 1000 mAh packs in addition to my stock pack. They weigh a little more and don't need to be quite as far forward. You might also consider using 1300 mAh packs to add more weight to the front.

You might be able to adjust the position of you ESC and re-position some of the wires. Make sure your tail boom is properly seated and not hanging your tail motor out any farther than it should.

Good luck!

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Last edited by Chocula; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Grammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Maybe put on some training gear. This thing is already a handful to hover for someone new to CPs. Try to get it away from ground effects. Have lots of space around you. Warranty will be void if it's crashed.
Yeah I have a set for it. Kind of makes it bouncy (has the fiberglass rods and ping pong balls) I want to find one of them old school sets with the wooden dowels big clunky and heavy.. any suggestion where to get them or do people just hand make those?? looks easy wood block drilled four sides some dowels and balls to go on the end..

I'd take it outside but the wind here is bad (the town we live in is Hurricane )

I have a couple batteries coming for it. I went with the 1600 mah mostly because they weigh more than the stock batteries, by about 10 g's I figure that will help my balance problem.

Once I get the batteries I can take it to the church by us they have a big hall I can use.. that will give me more than 10 mins to try it!
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I have a set for it. Kind of makes it bouncy (has the fiberglass rods and ping pong balls) I want to find one of them old school sets with the wooden dowels big clunky and heavy.. any suggestion where to get them or do people just hand make those?? looks easy wood block drilled four sides some dowels and balls to go on the end..
You could always take off the ping pong balls. Wood dowels can be found at places like Home Hardware, Lowes.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
You could always take off the ping pong balls. Wood dowels can be found at places like Home Hardware, Lowes.

Viper again thank you for all the input. I think I will make a set out of wood.

Today I stopped at the tire store, Bought a strip of tape a weights (lead tire balancing weights) Came home slapped on 1.5 oz to the sides of the frame as far forward as I could get them (right under where the velcro strap goes through)

Anyways moved the battery a little forward (not to bad) and got a perfect balance.
Spun it up outside and was actually able to hover the thing for a few seconds 3 or four times.. I would have gone longer but it was pretty windy..

So I feel much better heck with waiting for horizon to get back to me, I wanna move forward and since it seems fairly stable this way I am going ahead.

I ordered the batteries as soon as they come in its time to hit the basketball court at the church and get some calm air!

man my heart is beating a mile a min!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
Sort of; I would say they set the timing close, it is mostly aligned and the tires are close to being balanced. Will it fly right out of the box? Yes, but it would fly better after being tuned a bit. In the end, the plastic flexes quite a bit and there is some slop which means you will never keep it perfect, but it is also pretty forgiving of a less than stellar setup.

I have always had to mount the battery a bit forward to get the balance right, but everything still fits within the stock canopy. If you do need to weight it, try a bit of modeling clay in the nose of the canopy, the farther forward you add the weight, the less you will need. I have a couple of Sky LiPo and one Turnigy Nanotech 1000 mAh packs in addition to my stock pack. They weigh a little more and don't need to be quite as far forward. You might also consider using 1300 mAh packs to add more weight to the front.

You might be able to adjust the position of you ESC and re-position some of the wires. Make sure your tail boom is properly seated and not hanging your tail motor out any farther than it should.

Good luck!

-Chocula
THis is very true. I guess just want it to be RIGHT. not Thats close enough..

I am waiting for the bigger batteries now. with the extra lead I added I still have the stock battery a little bit forward so the 1300 mah should still work just fine!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
So I was thinking about ordering the belt drive for the tail rotor now that I got the CG figured out... and its listed as out of stock.... bummer

I sent them an e-mail asking when I could expect them... but I was wondering if there was any other choices??
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
So I was thinking about ordering the belt drive for the tail rotor now that I got the CG figured out... and its listed as out of stock.... bummer

I sent them an e-mail asking when I could expect them... but I was wondering if there was any other choices??
Enjoy the SR for what it is. If you want a better, more precise helicopter, you would be much better off getting one rather than trying to make the SR into something that it will never be. Align, Guai, Curtis Youngblood, etc. all make some very nice helicopters when you are ready for them. The learning curve is steep and it hurts less when you crash the SR so keep flying the SR until you don't crash anymore. Once you break the wooden blades, replace them with a plastic (plasti-blade or similar, NOT carbon fiber) set that can take a few crashes and your typical crash costs should be under $20, provided you kill the throttle before impact.

A lighter heli with its CG a little to far back would fly much better than one that is severely over weighted. The 1600 mAh battery plus a training gear is probably pushing what this heli will do so keep a watchful eye on your motor and esc temps.

You should not need a heavier training gear to get your balance right, just mount it a bit forward on the skids. The training gear should be setup for balance in the air, it doesn't matter if its way off when on the ground. Experiment with moving the training gear mounting clips around until you get something you like.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
Enjoy the SR for what it is. If you want a better, more precise helicopter, you would be much better off getting one rather than trying to make the SR into something that it will never be. Align, Guai, Curtis Youngblood, etc. all make some very nice helicopters when you are ready for them. The learning curve is steep and it hurts less when you crash the SR so keep flying the SR until you don't crash anymore. Once you break the wooden blades, replace them with a plastic (plasti-blade or similar, NOT carbon fiber) set that can take a few crashes and your typical crash costs should be under $20, provided you kill the throttle before impact.

A lighter heli with its CG a little to far back would fly much better than one that is severely over weighted. The 1600 mAh battery plus a training gear is probably pushing what this heli will do so keep a watchful eye on your motor and esc temps.

You should not need a heavier training gear to get your balance right, just mount it a bit forward on the skids. The training gear should be setup for balance in the air, it doesn't matter if its way off when on the ground. Experiment with moving the training gear mounting clips around until you get something you like.

-Chocula
I have found that parts are pretty cheap already. and easy to find. thats nice. I might have said 1600 mah but I believe what I ordered were 1300 mah. they weighed in at about 20g's more than the stock pack.

I have the cheapie training gear on kind of forward. that makes the tail down when landed no matter where the CG is. so I am going to try and move it back behind the skid mounts.. (more under the CG or the mainshaft)

The wind has been harsh here the last few days. so I took it out in the street and did some skidding with it. got it a few inches of the ground a couple times but the wind made that a no go.

as for the plastic blades... yep already ordered 3 sets and I am running one right now. I also have an extra set of wood blades I bought when I bought the heli.. so i am go for blades for a while. at least I hoe so.. LOL

I also got a couple "feather shafts" (shaft the blade grips go on) and a couple tail booms those look like the things that will take some damage in a crash..

How loose should the head be at the blade grips.. it sure seems i can wiggle the blades up and down quite a bit.

I am sure leaving it loose will make the thing more stable and soft (less reactive to input too) or should I go ahead and add a couple shims and tighten that up??

as for spending money to make it nice.. well I like working on things.. almost as much as flying them so a few mods and upgrades will be fun (and learning) to me. of course as I get going I bet i'll have PLENTY of chances to have to fix the thing LOL (knock on wood)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Yes, you use the bind plug. Insert bind plug, connect battery in heli, turn on transmitter while holding trainer switch on dx6i, wait until binding is complete. Then disconnect battery in sr, turn off tx, remove bind plug.

I wouldn't recommend practicing in a garage unless it is the size of a small gym
Yet another newbie sucker who bought a SR and am ready to bind it to my DX6i. I know to use the bind plug, but is that the bind plug that came with the SR or the one that came with my DX6i? Exactly where on the receiver does the bind plug go; there does not appear to be any open connecrtions.
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYChopper View Post
Yet another newbie sucker who bought a SR and am ready to bind it to my DX6i. I know to use the bind plug, but is that the bind plug that came with the SR or the one that came with my DX6i? Exactly where on the receiver does the bind plug go; there does not appear to be any open connecrtions.
They are the same. A bind plug is just a way to jump 2 pins together. Look at the plug and you'll see that it's just a wire loop going from one outside pin to the other outside pin. It goes in the port that's labeled "BAT/BIND" on the RX. It might just say "BAT". Ordinarily, when it's bound and you're flying, that port is empty, unless you're using an external BEC.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
"Beware of the ..."
Uk
Joined Aug 2003
52 Posts
Hi
I am new to this thread, after flying a couple of co-ax helis then a V911 which I think is great
I decided to get a Cp heli and ordered a Blade sr rtf.
While the Sr was in the post I found this thread and read the bulk of the posts and started to dread ordering the blade sr.
Anyway it turned up and was happy with the build of it so i charged it up and checked the blade tracking and tried a little hop all seamed well, after all the horror stories on the thread i decided to put training gear on, and take her outside.
I spooled her up which was rather scary after a little fp v911 and did a couple of short but controlled hovers with trim adjustments but it was rather windy so called it a night.
Next day it was quite a bit calmer so tried again and did a 5 or 6 minute hover around 3ft altitude with minimal movement then did some forward and backward tail in for approx 8-10 feet with no probs
Take offs and landings were a doodle with the training gear on even on the grass
I am sure a crash will happen but to any newbies like me it certainly is not as bad as it is made out to be in a lot of the threads.
Happy flying to all !
Judderman is offline Find More Posts by Judderman
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
223 Posts
Judderman, I two learned how to fly on the SR, what's nice is the availability of parts and their lower cost, I now have several others heli's but the SR comes out when the other heli's are waiting for parts. While the tail motor calls for replacement more often then I like, its not a lot of work to replace nor expensive. The belt tail systems on most heli's take a lot longer to repair a boom or a bent tail shaft. It's a good training heli's for learning how to fly, I never could get mine to loop or fly inverted, the gyro just would not hold on mine. Enjoy your SR.
wattflyer is offline Find More Posts by wattflyer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Seems that making new threads around here is frowned upon, so I guess I'll bump this one to ask my questions.

First off, where is everyone getting these orange fins or are they just painted stock fins? Also, I've seen skids from a few other helicopters being run. Which ones are direct bolt ons and who has them in stock? I normally order from rcboca or helidirect and I don't see that either one of them has the skids I've seen mentioned in this thread. Then there's the trex head dampers. If only the old versions work, is there anywhere that still sells them or does anyone make aftermarket sr dampers that are stiffer?
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Seems that making new threads around here is frowned upon, so I guess I'll bump this one to ask my questions.

First off, where is everyone getting these orange fins or are they just painted stock fins? Also, I've seen skids from a few other helicopters being run. Which ones are direct bolt ons and who has them in stock? I normally order from rcboca or helidirect and I don't see that either one of them has the skids I've seen mentioned in this thread. Then there's the trex head dampers. If only the old versions work, is there anywhere that still sells them or does anyone make aftermarket sr dampers that are stiffer?
MIA makes a really good WIDE skid for the SR. and they have them in colors

I am using Carbon Fiber Stab fins on mine Found them on E-bay for a few bucks. the orange ones?? not so sure.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
Tail rotor orientation

I am not too sure if anyone still follows this thread but I had to replace my tail motor due to a crash and did not pay attention to the orientation of the tail rotor itself. Is there any way to ensure I have installed it correctly?
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper