HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,713 Posts
Even though not many new posts in this thread, anybody who has posted here are likely still subscribed and will get notification of any new posts (like yours). Whether they answer is yet to be seen. A thread can be old but it isn't really "dead" till someone closes it.
However, before asking a question, you might want to do a search of this thread to see if it's been asked before and answered. Also, hopefully you got the manual with it. Go through it and follow its suggestions on how to set it up. Check everything over. If it's used, it may have been damaged and something could be "off".
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:45 AM
365 flying days a year
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Xviper. I've managed to get through about half of this thead so far. I don't plan to try and fly her for awhile yet. Doing lots of reading as I do that questions pop up that I haven't seen addressed yet. The SR is apart now waiting for me to put the new main gear in. After that I would like to apply power to see what I have. Its used so the sooner I find out about any problems the sooner I can get parts on order. I will be using my DX6i. In order to bind with the SR do I just need to do a simple bind as I did with my 120 SR or will I be needing to use the bind plug? If I find out it has problems after I bring it to life then I may have more questions but thats really the only one I'm concerned with right now. I am a little hazy on all the settings for the DX6i right now since this will be my first CP heli but I'm reading more every day and its starting to come together for me. I got the manual online from HH and have a lot of setup videos book marked. Will be building a 450 clone later but no rush on that. Wanted to get started with a cheap CP practice heli that I can use in the garage. Its very big and I'm flying something in there about 10 times a day. I go from simulator orientation practice to the garage for the real world experience then back to the workbench. I have nothing but time.

Thanks for letting me know someone still checks here now and then.
dakotakid is offline Find More Posts by dakotakid
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Thanks for the quick response Xviper. I've managed to get through about half of this thead so far. I don't plan to try and fly her for awhile yet. Doing lots of reading as I do that questions pop up that I haven't seen addressed yet. The SR is apart now waiting for me to put the new main gear in. After that I would like to apply power to see what I have. Its used so the sooner I find out about any problems the sooner I can get parts on order. I will be using my DX6i. In order to bind with the SR do I just need to do a simple bind as I did with my 120 SR or will I be needing to use the bind plug? If I find out it has problems after I bring it to life then I may have more questions but thats really the only one I'm concerned with right now. I am a little hazy on all the settings for the DX6i right now since this will be my first CP heli but I'm reading more every day and its starting to come together for me. I got the manual online from HH and have a lot of setup videos book marked. Will be building a 450 clone later but no rush on that. Wanted to get started with a cheap CP practice heli that I can use in the garage. Its very big and I'm flying something in there about 10 times a day. I go from simulator orientation practice to the garage for the real world experience then back to the workbench. I have nothing but time.

Thanks for letting me know someone still checks here now and then.
Yes, you use the bind plug. Insert bind plug, connect battery in heli, turn on transmitter while holding trainer switch on dx6i, wait until binding is complete. Then disconnect battery in sr, turn off tx, remove bind plug.

I wouldn't recommend practicing in a garage unless it is the size of a small gym
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:48 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Yes, you use the bind plug. Insert bind plug, connect battery in heli, turn on transmitter while holding trainer switch on dx6i, wait until binding is complete. Then disconnect battery in sr, turn off tx, remove bind plug.

I wouldn't recommend practicing in a garage unless it is the size of a small gym
Thanks wavekatcher. Just wanted to be sure before I fired it up for the first time. I have one more question for now and more later I'm sure. In the process of removing the head and main shaft on the SR I moved some of the servo arms from the position they were in. Is this going to cause any kind of problem when power is applied again?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,713 Posts
Quote:
Thanks wavekatcher. Just wanted to be sure before I fired it up for the first time. I have one more question for now and more later I'm sure. In the process of removing the head and main shaft on the SR I moved some of the servo arms from the position they were in. Is this going to cause any kind of problem when power is applied again?

Unless you stripped a gear in the servo, it will re-center when you power them up again. Maybe help them along by centering them as best you can before powering up.
After you bind it, make sure you don't have the "brake" ON for the motor. Brake should be OFF for helis. Might even consider doing the throttle max/min set just in case. The ESC part of the manual should tell you how.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:

The servos will recenter each time the battery is plugged in. Be sure to always fly in "idle up". The SR is much more stable with the higher head speed. I use negative exponential also to counteract the sloppy controls.

I suggest taking the time to do the RADDS helicopter training. Google it. It will help learn CP helis.

The SR is a very difficult CP heli, especially with the garbage tail motor. I have 3 SRs. One with a metal swash,blade grips etc,..... one for parts,.... and also the Huey SR.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Unless you stripped a gear in the servo, it will re-center when you power them up again. Maybe help them along by centering them as best you can before powering up.
After you bind it, make sure you don't have the "brake" ON for the motor. Brake should be OFF for helis. Might even consider doing the throttle max/min set just in case. The ESC part of the manual should tell you how.
No I'm sure nothing stripped. Two of them just moved up a bit then I was taking the links off. I did push them back down and they had nice smooth movement. I will be doing all the ESC stuff because I have no idea what was set on this bird before I got it used. It appears this SR only had one very short flight by someone who had maybe never flown a heli before. The blade tips hit a lamp post on the tips and the main gear had a few teeth missing. Otherwise seems in new condition. Main and feathering shaft not bent so it couldn't have been too bad. It will be awhile before I get to it now. Since I know I will be sticking with this hobby now till the eyesight goes completely, we are cleaning out the guest bedroom and it will become dedicated to storing retired helis, fixing the new ones as I wreck them, and building clones. I was an aircraft mech in the Navy for 20 years so this stuff comes easy. If I just had the eyesight I had then...sigh.

Thanks xviper
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
The SR is probably not the best first CP heli. I ended up puting my SR away untill I felt comfortable with a sim, then got the mCPX. This little heli can be dialed back to near fixed pitch gentleness or dialed up to full 3D capabilities! Now the SR seems docile and is a good trainer for larger CPs. The mCPX is a blast and doesnt break too easily over grass.
mmilan is offline Find More Posts by mmilan
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
The servos will recenter each time the battery is plugged in. Be sure to always fly in "idle up". The SR is much more stable with the higher head speed. I use negative exponential also to counteract the sloppy controls.

I suggest taking the time to do the RADDS helicopter training. Google it. It will help learn CP helis.

The SR is a very difficult CP heli, especially with the garbage tail motor. I have 3 SRs. One with a metal swash,blade grips etc,..... one for parts,.... and also the Huey SR.
Yeah...I figured thats what would happen just like on all my FP helis. Just going slow since this is my first 6 channel and CCPM machine. If I come to something I am not sure about I stop there and find the answer before messing something up. Old Navy habit of doing things by the book and not having to explain later why you thought you knew more than the manufacture.

I will be doing all the RADD type low and slow type training for sure. Plenty of training gear material. The little FP helis and the sim have been very valuable in my orientation training. I use the I'm sitting in the cockpit method and it seems to work for me. I put off moving the heli to the side and nose in for a long time because I was having so much fun just tail in. When I finally did move to the side I found I really like the challange once I got past the fear factor. Even at my age I seem to have what my son calls talented thumbs. Getting control of all my squirrely FP's has been fairly easy. I figure out what I did wrong the first time and after that I am controlling the heli and not the other way around. I have 700 hours of real flight time in single engine up to the T34 so I don't know if that helps or not. Can't hurt I guess. I have a son who was a real Army heli pilot and he says the only way that makes it possible for him to fly the RC helis is to picture himself sitting in the cockpit holding the sticks. I have enough parts to build two 450 clones so I may be using one of them for RADD's type training also. I got the SR because I don't like having just one heli and having down time after crashes. I like to have at least one working machine at all times so when I get the urge I don't have any waiting for parts depression. Life is running out on me and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Yes...I think the swash on the SR is going to have to go for a metal one. I don't like the looks of it. Looks like a uncontrolled crash waiting to happen. Maybe skittering around on the ground with training gear would be ok but no air work.

Thanks.
All the good advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilan View Post
The SR is probably not the best first CP heli. I ended up puting my SR away untill I felt comfortable with a sim, then got the mCPX. This little heli can be dialed back to near fixed pitch gentleness or dialed up to full 3D capabilities! Now the SR seems docile and is a good trainer for larger CPs. The mCPX is a blast and doesnt break too easily over grass.
Yes the mCPX has had my eye for a long time. Its hard to hide the 450 stuff from the wife but maybe I can slip a little one like that in and she won't even notice..

If I set it in the middle of the row of four V911's I bet she won't even see it. When the UPS man comes as he does everyday here it seems, I can say 'only some more heli parts dear...nothing to see here'
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,713 Posts
Quote:
If I just had the eyesight I had then...sigh.
I got a set of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-he...ht_3502wt_1159
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Yeah...I figured thats what would happen just like on all my FP helis. Just going slow since this is my first 6 channel and CCPM machine. If I come to something I am not sure about I stop there and find the answer before messing something up. Old Navy habit of doing things by the book and not having to explain later why you thought you knew more than the manufacture.

I will be doing all the RADD type low and slow type training for sure. Plenty of training gear material. The little FP helis and the sim have been very valuable in my orientation training. I use the I'm sitting in the cockpit method and it seems to work for me. I put off moving the heli to the side and nose in for a long time because I was having so much fun just tail in. When I finally did move to the side I found I really like the challange once I got past the fear factor. Even at my age I seem to have what my son calls talented thumbs. Getting control of all my squirrely FP's has been fairly easy. I figure out what I did wrong the first time and after that I am controlling the heli and not the other way around. I have 700 hours of real flight time in single engine up to the T34 so I don't know if that helps or not. Can't hurt I guess. I have a son who was a real Army heli pilot and he says the only way that makes it possible for him to fly the RC helis is to picture himself sitting in the cockpit holding the sticks. I have enough parts to build two 450 clones so I may be using one of them for RADD's type training also. I got the SR because I don't like having just one heli and having down time after crashes. I like to have at least one working machine at all times so when I get the urge I don't have any waiting for parts depression. Life is running out on me and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Yes...I think the swash on the SR is going to have to go for a metal one. I don't like the looks of it. Looks like a uncontrolled crash waiting to happen. Maybe skittering around on the ground with training gear would be ok but no air work.

Thanks.
All the good advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your service. It is because of veterans like yourself I am able to fly helis and airplanes.

I have actually done some work out @ Lemoore Naval airstation. Drilling holes for soil and gw contamination. Pretty neat that there is actually a Mcdonalds on the base. We did some work near the runways whilst touch n go's were happening a few hundred yards away. Of course we had eyes and guns on us @ all times

Also, accidently hit a gas main no one had any idea was there. Scary
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Those are cool. I have one like that and wear 3 power reading glasses under that just to see those tiny screws. The screws seemed a little bigger on the P-3's and F/A-18's At my age we need full scale RC helis I can see the death and mayhem reports at the city park on the evening news now.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:49 PM
365 flying days a year
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your service. It is because of veterans like yourself I am able to fly helis and airplanes.

I have actually done some work out @ Lemoore Naval airstation. Drilling holes for soil and gw contamination. Pretty neat that there is actually a Mcdonalds on the base. We did some work near the runways whilst touch n go's were happening a few hundred yards away. Of course we had eyes and guns on us @ all times

Also, accidently hit a gas main no one had any idea was there. Scary
So thats why my gas was off so long?

Yes our skys here are filled with the sounds of freedom all day and night. Some people wonder why there is a Navy base no where near the water. I guess they think all the planes stay on the carriers all the time. This place was perfect. The Navy owns all the land for miles and not once in 50 years has one of the cows called the base commander complaining about the noise
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:39 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Hi,

Could someone measure and tell me the precise thickness of the Blade SR's main shaft please.

Thank you

BR
- Tumppi
Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)