HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 03:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors View Post
So once I hit the IU switch I should go all the way to landing in IU? Or at some point should I be switching back to normal to land?

The more I learn about CP flight the more I realize I need to learn!

Jim
That's how I fly, so yes. Once you hit IU, you are basically in "flight" mode even if you are only hovering. I always "fly" in IU. It's less taxing on the motor if you have it running at your max set headspeed. It also gives a quicker response to pitch changes if the motor doesn't have to fight so hard to work against the added resistence as you increase pitch.
When you get more and more into this, you'll learn how to tailor the pitch curve and the throttle curve in "stunt" mode. That's a whole other learning experience for when you get a fancier TX.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
393 Posts
Level swash

I have had my SR UH-1 for several weeks now and I am still leery of the swash being what appears to me, not level. I know that the possibility exists that my first "flight" (hover) will result in a crash and repairs but i would like to increase the odds of actually getting off the ground (even a very short distance) and back down on the skids without damage.

Being complete Novice with CP helis and realizing that at times on my FP helis, the swash is not level once I get things mechanically trimmed for a stable hover without drift I thought that perhaps a few pictures for you more experienced flyers might either help to confirm that I have a problem or that it is close enough to level to not worry about it.

Thanks for any critique or input you may have. I took these pictures with the battery in and the gyro initialized.

Jim

Name: DSC01303 (800x600).jpg
Views: 47
Size: 256.4 KB
Description: From the side, looks a bit angled forward to me

Name: DSC01304 (800x600).jpg
Views: 62
Size: 53.3 KB
Description: From the front, looks like a shorter left side here.
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old May 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,973 Posts
Quote:
I have had my SR UH-1 for several weeks now and I am still leery of the swash being what appears to me, not level. I know that the possibility exists that my first "flight" (hover) will result in a crash and repairs but i would like to increase the odds of actually getting off the ground (even a very short distance) and back down on the skids without damage.

Being complete Novice with CP helis and realizing that at times on my FP helis, the swash is not level once I get things mechanically trimmed for a stable hover without drift I thought that perhaps a few pictures for you more experienced flyers might either help to confirm that I have a problem or that it is close enough to level to not worry about it.

Thanks for any critique or input you may have. I took these pictures with the battery in and the gyro initialized.

Jim

Attachment 4846121

Attachment 4846122
Those pictures can be deceiving because of the way the fuse may have been mounted, but it does look like the swash is slanted slightly forward. And in the second picture, it may be slanted slightly to the heli's right.
Insofar as this goes, it's not terribly bad. I would suggest you leave it and do your first hover on a surface that is very slippery, like cement or concrete so that the heli can "skitter" across it as it gets light on the skids. This will confirm (assuming that the surface is level) if the swash is slanted. Try to counter the skid with the appropriate stick input while it's still on the ground. Then add clicks of trim in that direction until it more or less stays put. Then try a lift off and be prepared to correct and/or land (without going full low stick). If you can get it into a hover about 3 feet off the ground and it doesn't slide too bad, then you'll know the swash is level. You can then elect to correct for the trim adjustment with swash rod length adjustments. Put the trim back to neutral before flying again. The idea is to be able to hover with the trim tabs as close to neutral as possible.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old May 08, 2012, 09:05 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
102 Posts
Quote:

Jim

Attachment 4846121

Attachment 4846122
IMHO, your swash is probably too out of wack to control. Setup is the most important part of successfully flying CP helis. Alot of FP helis are off axis as they dont compensate for the left roll tendencies. So dont be fouled by FP heli setup. My SR will hover hands off for several seconds, but this has taken me several months of trial and error (spelled r e p a i r s). The swash is perfectly level now. The slide method of trimming and then contolling is a great method. There are several "tutorials on how to setup (level) your swash. Just Google setup of CP helis and search youtube. One written site:
http://www.kempley-helicopters.com/guides/ccpm-setup. Do you have training gear?
mmilan is offline Find More Posts by mmilan
Old May 09, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Insofar as this goes, it's not terribly bad. I would suggest you leave it and do your first hover on a surface that is very slippery, like cement or concrete so that the heli can "skitter" across it as it gets light on the skids. This will confirm (assuming that the surface is level) if the swash is slanted. Try to counter the skid with the appropriate stick input while it's still on the ground. Then add clicks of trim in that direction until it more or less stays put. Then try a lift off and be prepared to correct and/or land (without going full low stick). If you can get it into a hover about 3 feet off the ground and it doesn't slide too bad, then you'll know the swash is level. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilan View Post
.... My SR will hover hands off for several seconds, but this has taken me several months of trial and error (spelled r e p a i r s). The swash is perfectly level now. The slide method of trimming and then contolling is a great method. There are several "tutorials on how to setup (level) your swash. Just Google setup of CP helis and search youtube. One written site:
http://www.kempley-helicopters.com/guides/ccpm-setup. Do you have training gear?
xviper... Thanks for the suggestions. This weekend I will find some nice level concrete to attempt to see how the huey behaves just getting her light on the skids. That sounds like a good way to test things out.

mmilan... Thanks for the link. I have links to all sorts of videos and instructions on setting up a CP heli and I have and will read and re read them all Yes, I do have training gear. There seems to be a bit of back and forth on the use of training gear as well. Some seem to think that it throws off balance but I think the majority of folks believe it is a good thing. Lots of sim time here as well so hopefully that helps... where are the "CP Heli setup and adjustment" sims?

Jim
Old May 09, 2012, 09:38 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
102 Posts
JCMORS,
Sounds like you are very well prepared to successfully fly your SR. It's a ton of fun.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
another thing to mention here is the heli's tendency to roll one direction during lift off, it's been so long since I had an sr that I forget which direction it rolls to but I'm sure one of you guys that are currently more familiar can help jcmors.
MikeontheBike is offline Find More Posts by MikeontheBike
Old May 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
102 Posts
She wants to roll left
Old May 10, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilan View Post
She wants to roll left
Thanks for that tip, I'll try to be prepared for that on lift off then
Old May 12, 2012, 12:01 AM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
I'm a newbie fighting the SR as well. I destroyed it out of the box, day 1 (great learning opportunity, humbling also..) Rebuilt the stock head and had it hovering in the garage, landed too hard and destroyed it once again, week 2. Today I put the CNC head on and its a different heli. I love it now.. Been threw a few batteries now and have had it in the air solid the entire time. So much so, I'm thinking of removing the training gear. I would recommend that upgrade to anyone. Tail mod is next on my list.
FlyinBass is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBass
Old May 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBass View Post
I'm a newbie fighting the SR as well. I destroyed it out of the box, day 1 (great learning opportunity, humbling also..) Rebuilt the stock head and had it hovering in the garage, landed too hard and destroyed it once again, week 2. Today I put the CNC head on and its a different heli. I love it now.. Been threw a few batteries now and have had it in the air solid the entire time. So much so, I'm thinking of removing the training gear. I would recommend that upgrade to anyone. Tail mod is next on my list.
This has been my fear. Being the Huey version I am hoping to not destroy it out of the box on my first flight. I know that repairs are inevitable. I know that everyone crashes but I am trying hard to prolong that event as long as possible. Of course I could do that easily by leaving her in the box but what fun would that be?

Wind and weather permitting this is going to be the weekend. Spare blades, feathering and main shafts, gear etc on hand just in case!

Jim
Old May 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
102 Posts
Quote:
this has been my fear. Being the huey version i am hoping to not destroy it out of the box on my first flight. I know that repairs are inevitable. I know that everyone crashes but i am trying hard to prolong that event as long as possible. Of course i could do that easily by leaving her in the box but what fun would that be?

wind and weather permitting this is going to be the weekend. Spare blades, feathering and main shafts, gear etc on hand just in case!

Jim
go for it!
Old May 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Under Construction..
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
This has been my fear. Being the Huey version I am hoping to not destroy it out of the box on my first flight. I know that repairs are inevitable. I know that everyone crashes but I am trying hard to prolong that event as long as possible. Of course I could do that easily by leaving her in the box but what fun would that be?

Wind and weather permitting this is going to be the weekend. Spare blades, feathering and main shafts, gear etc on hand just in case!

Jim

Hope ya faired well. All your spare parts listed are exactly what i destroyed after having the bird in the air all of 4 seconds. In hindsight, completely my fault and now having rebuilt it, I could not be happier. I've put 6 batteries through mine this weekend so far and feel I'm progressing as slowly as i can, but she's come home fine each time. I'm still on the stock TX too.. Hope you had fun on your first flight.
FlyinBass is offline Find More Posts by FlyinBass
Old May 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2010
393 Posts
Alas, I never got to have my first flight as of yet. Family obligations and wind prevented me from making that leap forward. Hoping that this coming weekend will afford me the opportunity.

Jim
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:15 AM
365 flying days a year
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Is anybody out there?

Is this thread dead? Thats not fair! I just got my SR and still have some questions before I lift off for the first crash...haha.

Been flying the FP stuff (DH9116, 120 SR, V200D02) for three months solid now. Not a virgin anymore. My first flights with all my helis lasted 2 seconds each...the length of time from the pad to the garage door. I can crash with the best of them. Have at least two of my birds torn apart on the dining room table at any time. Got the SR on a $100 ebay special. 67 years old and lots of catching up to do and a short time to do it.

If anyone see this and knows of any other active SR threads please let me know.

Thanks
Retired old man with 364 flying days a year. The other day is when we have winter here in Central Cal and that is usually over by noon.
dakotakid is offline Find More Posts by dakotakid