Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:44 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Hey Vip,

Both my other SR's I'm running my gyro settings @66% in rate 0. Same with the Huey but still having some tail wag. SO....Do I adjust up or down to get less wag?
There's a difference between tail "hunting" and "wag". Hunting is where the gyro isn't set far enough into "head hold" mode. Wag is a characteristic of the SR and is caused by having a tail motor. You can minimize wag but it will always be there. Hunting can be completely eliminated.
At 66%, I'd say you need more to get further into HH mode. Try going 70% and see what it does, then maybe 75%. From there, alter +/- 1 or 2% at a time till you minimize the effect.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Last edited by xviper; Dec 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
There's a difference between tail "hunting" and "wag". Hunting is where the gyro isn't set far enough into "head hold" mode. Wag is a characteristic of the SR and is caused by having a tail motor. You can minimize wag but it will always be there. Hunting can be completely eliminated.
At 66%, I'd say you need more to get further into HH mode. Try going 70% and see what it does, then maybe 75%. From there, alter +/- 1 or 2% at a time till you minimize the effect.
Thanks for the help!
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Thanks for this information. this may be a factor in my troubles in dialing in my gyro on the DDVP tail kit. I am having trouble telling if the gain is too low or too high.
drh is offline Find More Posts by drh
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh View Post
Thanks for this information. this may be a factor in my troubles in dialing in my gyro on the DDVP tail kit. I am having trouble telling if the gain is too low or too high.
I think if you've got this tail mod, it's more likely a gyro situation. If the gain is too low, the tail will drift one way or the other. If the gain is to high, then the tail will twitch. In a case like this, it becomes very similar to a direct motor driven tail with the "wag".
With the stock SR, a bit of wag will always be present, hence, minimizing this wag is the best way to home in on the correct gyto gain. Unfortunately with the SR, the tail movement is almost always accompanied by an audible indicator. The sound can affect they way the eye sees things.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:11 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
Hey Vip,

Both my other SR's I'm running my gyro settings @66% in rate 0. Same with the Huey but still having some tail wag. SO....Do I adjust up or down to get less wag?
Go to 100% and do a short hop and see if anything changes or not.. If it's flyable but waging faster than work your way down to get to the smoothest tail you can get.. I take it your TA on rudder is at 100% and not more,, if you went to say 120% on right and left left at 100% than this changes where the switch % is for going from rte to HH gyro..

You can also try flying in rate mode starting at 20% and play around there to see what happens...

I think the DD tail with a too low HH setting has a problem in it's to slow to catch the tail in time and then over corrects and then shut's off to go back and then over corrects again. I'm thinking that if the HH starts it correction faster it might be better.. I have the DDVP on mine now so can't play with this to see if I'm right or not..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Go to 100% and do a short hop and see if anything changes or not.. If it's flyable but waging faster than work your way down to get to the smoothest tail you can get.. I take it your TA on rudder is at 100% and not more,, if you went to say 120% on right and left left at 100% than this changes where the switch % is for going from rte to HH gyro..

You can also try flying in rate mode starting at 20% and play around there to see what happens...

I think the DD tail with a too low HH setting has a problem in it's to slow to catch the tail in time and then over corrects and then shut's off to go back and then over corrects again. I'm thinking that if the HH starts it correction faster it might be better.. I have the DDVP on mine now so can't play with this to see if I'm right or not..
Did you find it pretty easy to dial in the DDVP tail?
drh is offline Find More Posts by drh
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh View Post
Did you find it pretty easy to dial in the DDVP tail?
Once I figured out why it over drove the servo and broke the steering arm.. I seem to remember it as being sort of fun to set it up.. As I was following some instructions that step by step told me how and it was doing the right things in the right order.. Might of just been the shock of that happening???
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Fun with the UH-1 Huey Gunship

I had a great time at the club field today with the UH-1 Huey, the mCPx and my Blade 450. The weather was great so I didn't want to bother any of the other pilots to be cameramen so I had to just hover and do some slow forward flight in front of the camera.

UH-1 Huey at the Club Field #1
Blade SR Bell UH-1 Huey Gunship at the club field #01 (5 min 11 sec)

UH-1 Huey at the Club Field #2
Blade SR Bell UH-1 Huey Gunship at the club field #02 (2 min 26 sec)

Blade 450 at the Club Field
Blade 450 3D Simple Flying on a Sunny Northwest Day (6 min 15 sec)
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:47 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
A great picture taken by a fellow club member.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
I ordered a new stock tail motor and will be replacing it tonight. I bought a $2 tube of heat sink compound from hopmeup.com as well. My question is, do you have to add any glue to the heat sink in addition to the compound in order to make it stay in place? or is it just friction fit with the heat sink compound underneath it?
SgtManny is offline Find More Posts by SgtManny
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtManny View Post
I ordered a new stock tail motor and will be replacing it tonight. I bought a $2 tube of heat sink compound from hopmeup.com as well. My question is, do you have to add any glue to the heat sink in addition to the compound in order to make it stay in place? or is it just friction fit with the heat sink compound underneath it?
the goop will create it's own suction fit as long as you don't goop it on. just enough to cover the surface of the heat sink. It's designed to fill the imperfections and gaps so that heat is transferred throughout the entire heat sink. just be careful not to get any in the air holes!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
A great picture taken by a fellow club member.
Nice Pic! and nice field! St. Helens looks different from Portland! lol
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
So when using a pitch gauge, do you start measuring and adjusting linkages in Normal mode, then switch to idle up? Or after you adjust linkages in normal mode, do you just use swash mix settings in the TX to achieve you -10, 0, 10 pitches in IU mode? I am using a DX6i with my SR.

I was referencing the article on EFlite's website, http://www.e-fliterc.com/Articles/Ar...ArticleID=1715, but it didn't seem immediately obvious if both modes are set manually by adjusting linkages, or if one is done manually and then the other is done electronically using the TX.

Blake
SgtManny is offline Find More Posts by SgtManny
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtManny View Post
So when using a pitch gauge, do you start measuring and adjusting linkages in Normal mode, then switch to idle up? Or after you adjust linkages in normal mode, do you just use swash mix settings in the TX to achieve you -10, 0, 10 pitches in IU mode? I am using a DX6i with my SR.

I was referencing the article on EFlite's website, http://www.e-fliterc.com/Articles/Ar...ArticleID=1715, but it didn't seem immediately obvious if both modes are set manually by adjusting linkages, or if one is done manually and then the other is done electronically using the TX.

Blake
What I do...... The mechanical set up is done in stunt mode, you adjust the servo to swash links so that 0 pitch is in the middle of the swash travel range on the main shaft with the servo arms at 90 degrees. Then you use the TX's to limit the servos total travel that the swash and cyclic controls can move so that you have no binding when they are at full travel.. You then us the TX pitch curves to set/limit the total actual pitch range you wish to be using in stunt mode. Then you set up the TX for normal mode.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3 Posts
my sr main motor started acting weird cutting on and off and wanting to run backward. changed batt .....not. motor too hot to touch recon what is problem
cgcom45 is offline Find More Posts by cgcom45