HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2010
76 Posts
Will the tx that comes with this support any of the current trainer sims?
I'm trying to pick out my next heli, and want to get a sim too. If money were no object I'd probably get the Blade 400, but add a sim to that and its a lot of $.

Thanks,
Bill
bimmerbill is offline Find More Posts by bimmerbill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:16 AM
SCF
Joined Nov 2009
66 Posts
Nope, will not hook up to the sims.
SCF is offline Find More Posts by SCF
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:25 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Bimmerbill:

Pick up either Phoenix or FS One. Phoenix comes with a Spektrum DX5 transmitter and FS One comes with a USB transmitter style controller. Both work very well and the helis are very, very close to reality in FS One. The models can be tweaked but I am not worried about it, yet. I can use my DX6i in FS One and it does hook up very easily with the supplied cables. I don't have Phoenix, but a couple of guys I know have it, and they say is is very good. To each, his own.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:34 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
I enjoyed my original BCP but after owning my Hornet X3D and now my LA Heli Ricco I always though what if the BCP had been a belt or shaft driven heli where would it be now?

Tail motors seem ideal to me in sub micros where they seem to last forever but I quickly grew tired of soldering tail motors at $7-10 a crack. These days there are several belt and shaft driven micros to choose from. I'm a bit disappointed to see E-flight turning it's attention to a completely new but similar heli as the current Blade CP. I would have liked to see a redesign of the BCP series to a belt or a shaft drive with a BL motor setup.

The new heli could have been shipped with heavy paddles and flybar weights with the RTF version set to a low headspeed. I understand the name recognition with the M series from a marketing and sales point but it is possible to go from mild to wild through configuration changes and E-flight could have had a much larger target audience of potential buyers. The current BCP design is long in the tooth it has a nice price point and support system but I would like to see a follow up / refresh ..
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:31 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
If a careful long look is taken at the new frame and tail boom of the SR, there lies the potential for a shaft drive upgrade in the future. All those lovely things add more cost for the beginning heli pilot to absorb as he/she takes dirt naps with their new heli. It is great for advanced pilots to bemoan no shaft or belt drive, but they are not the target consumer that most of these heli's are aimed at. What is easier? Get a good tail motor that takes three minutes to change if it burns out (let's not compare those old motors to the current DD motor), or get a belt drive system that can take can a lot more time, money, and still need adjustment as the belt stretches in. It also takes a lot of getting used to in the care that must be taken to ensure proper assembly order and lubrication. Let's not even try to imagine a novice heli owner trying to sort out a slightly bent tail drife shaft that causes vibrations at the most inopportune moment in the wind up to being airborne. Most new pilots have little to no mechanical experience with helicopters (I used to have one thirty years ago so I am not a heli mechanical newbie) and have no idea what adjustments or parts might be needed in a crash repair.

The simplicity of the twin motor heli makes overhauling it simple with common household tools. The push by everyone to put high end options and expectations on a training helicopter is rather silly and useless. They should be purchased and flown as supplied and as the pilot progresses, the pilot can determine if they have outgrown that heli or find that a few low cost, easy upgrades can take them a bit further. There are upgrades for just about everything out there and some are good for bling factor only while others add value and performance. To me, bling factor is a complete waste of time and money but it sells. While a full metal head can be more precise in operation, a well setup plastic or glass filled head can work just as nicely for bouncing around the sky. Dispite all the metal, links are still mostly plastic, no?

The new SR has extra weights already on the flybar to assist slowing down the cyclic responses for a beginner CCPM pilot. I have moved the weights inboard on both my CP's but will not remove them until I take the head apart during an overhaul. The flybar paddles are too nicely setup to disturb them for the time being. Once the overhaul takes place, those weights are history. I have taken a look at the two helis you have, one being not far removed from a Walkera but the other is a rather interesting looking heli. I see lots of similar head parts out there and would not be surprised where the design may have originated. Neither are good helis for the beginner and would fall into the advanced class. The CP Pro 2 is also not for the beginner but with the right toning down it can be a very easy heli to fly, especially with the tail being so solid. I can see the SR being just as reliable. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Jaded Flyer
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2004
2,025 Posts
I have the mcx and msr. make this bnf and i will have an sr as well.

That price point is VERY tempting but i have a dx7 and no desire to lug around another Tx....on the other hand i have some friends i could sell it to, but then when it's time for them to move up they'll have an extra as they hit the sr stage.

+1 vote for BNF please.

,mike
mcharles13 is online now Find More Posts by mcharles13
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:32 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I have taken a look at the two helis you have, one being not far removed from a Walkera but the other is a rather interesting looking heli.
That part you have backwards, the Walkera 22 series were copies of MSComposit Hornets. They copied the Hornet II which was the evolution of the original Hornet FP/CP, the 22a was CP with shaft driven VP tail (basically an exact copy of a Hornet II), the 22e was a CP with motor tail (same as the 22a from the frame forward), the 22d was fixed pitch with shaft driven VP tail (just an FP head on a 22a).

Truthfully, the Ricco is simply a mature cousin of the Hornet series, the Ricco evolved from the MaxiR, and the MaxiR evolved from the Rambo before that... The Rambo was designed by LAheli around upgrade parts that they had designed for the Hornet.

Had you said that as little as a year ago, you would have been acosted by quite a few forum members around here . As little as a year ago, Walkera's reputation was still quite bad from the crummy electronics they slapped on their helis back then , it's amazing to me how much they have improved, and broken free of the cloning that they used to do.

But, I do agree with you, this is Blade SR is targeted at a different demographic than the Hornet (discontinued), and Ricco. I personally applaud Horizon for trying to fill the empty hole in the market for a CP that can actually be transitioned to from Coaxials.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
It's not too hard to make a mistake like that around here, if you haven't been directly involved since the Heli Baby, lol. It would be nice if all thise wannabe heli manufacturers would just make their own parts up for their own machines and stop making inferior quality parts that look like the better quality originals. There are only so many ways you can stack three servos around a mainshaft and I don't think one method is that much better than another. I guess the biggest jump forward was eCCPM and that would have been a light year ahead on my old Heli Baby. Seems Walkera got a huge amount of milage from that helicopter, as they have another version called the "UFly" and that is still the same frame. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:28 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Did I already ask for BNF? Then it's BNF +2. My whole kitchen and diningroom are paved with RTF transmitters and I REALLY don't want another one. That's what I got DX6i to avoid.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:10 AM
Heli girl!
USA
Joined Apr 2007
1,087 Posts
I am still waiting for a BNF Blade 400. BNF should be an option on most of HH models. It is one of the sweet features about spektrum.

This SR looks like a nice "beater" heli for backyard flying.
bekylane is offline Find More Posts by bekylane
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:47 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Bekylane:

Technically, if you bought the Plug 'n Play version, dropped in a AR6100e, and got a battery with charger, you would have what you want. That will work as long as you already have the DX6i or DX7. However, I am not sure just how much money you would save?

Don
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:57 AM
USA, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Dec 2009
66 Posts
BNF!!! I agree that HH should offer a BNF of every model.
Evil-E is offline Find More Posts by Evil-E
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:52 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
i might be more likely to get this if they have a BNF, if not then i dont see the point in having a dx6i or any other programable TX if you dont get the chance to benefit from it .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:35 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
If a careful long look is taken at the new frame and tail boom of the SR, there lies the potential for a shaft drive upgrade in the future. All those lovely things add more cost for the beginning heli pilot to absorb as he/she takes dirt naps with their new heli. It is great for advanced pilots to bemoan no shaft or belt drive, but they are not the target consumer that most of these heli's are aimed at. What is easier? Get a good tail motor that takes three minutes to change if it burns out (let's not compare those old motors to the current DD motor), or get a belt drive system that can take can a lot more time, money, and still need adjustment as the belt stretches in. It also takes a lot of getting used to in the care that must be taken to ensure proper assembly order and lubrication. Let's not even try to imagine a novice heli owner trying to sort out a slightly bent tail drife shaft that causes vibrations at the most inopportune moment in the wind up to being airborne. Most new pilots have little to no mechanical experience with helicopters (I used to have one thirty years ago so I am not a heli mechanical newbie) and have no idea what adjustments or parts might be needed in a crash repair.

The simplicity of the twin motor heli makes overhauling it simple with common household tools. The push by everyone to put high end options and expectations on a training helicopter is rather silly and useless. They should be purchased and flown as supplied and as the pilot progresses, the pilot can determine if they have outgrown that heli or find that a few low cost, easy upgrades can take them a bit further. There are upgrades for just about everything out there and some are good for bling factor only while others add value and performance. To me, bling factor is a complete waste of time and money but it sells. While a full metal head can be more precise in operation, a well setup plastic or glass filled head can work just as nicely for bouncing around the sky. Dispite all the metal, links are still mostly plastic, no?

The new SR has extra weights already on the flybar to assist slowing down the cyclic responses for a beginner CCPM pilot. I have moved the weights inboard on both my CP's but will not remove them until I take the head apart during an overhaul. The flybar paddles are too nicely setup to disturb them for the time being. Once the overhaul takes place, those weights are history. I have taken a look at the two helis you have, one being not far removed from a Walkera but the other is a rather interesting looking heli. I see lots of similar head parts out there and would not be surprised where the design may have originated. Neither are good helis for the beginner and would fall into the advanced class. The CP Pro 2 is also not for the beginner but with the right toning down it can be a very easy heli to fly, especially with the tail being so solid. I can see the SR being just as reliable. Take care.

Don
I beg to differ, the argument of the simplicity of a tail motor over a shaft drive yes but a belt ? are you kidding ? My 2yr old can understand a belt and never has a belt been costly or complicated. The relevance diminishes even further when you consider that the head with all it's moving parts and linkages is the spot that newbs will find the most intimidating.

The head, not the tail (which is just as complicated as any other heli) will be the learning curve. Ultimately the soft nature of this heli will do it's intended job but I'm not out of line in my disappointment of the neglected , outdated, BCP design. It's 2010, revise it already, thankfully every other manufacture has a belt or drive offering in the micro segment.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by raynet11; Jan 09, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:45 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
We will monitor the feedback on this issue. We do not have one in the works, and even if we decided to do one, it would take quite a long time. We have data on many of these issues, and we remain pretty concerned about the number of customers that would be happy, in proportion to those who may be frustrated or have problems. (We have also marketed PNP's in the past, and we know the interest levels in those as well). We do want to have a very high ratio of ALL of our customers happy, successful, and also to limit our returns....

We realize that there are SOME customers that would do well with a BNF, but is it enough (in proportion in this class/complexity).

David
So just how hard is it to not up a TX in the box? You seem to understand how to do it with a lot of your other products.. It shouldn't be that hard with this one... And the cost of Sharpie to check off a TX not included box on the label wouldn't take any more time than sticking the TX in the box does. This along with some good instructions on how to set up the TX and you would have a lot more sales.. Even I would buy one...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob