HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:41 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Put my new MH swashplate in today. Been too windy to try it out. Go figure!
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Yes, exactly.

The non adjustable links go down to the swashplate and it is ok if they are at an angle. Just make sure your adjustable pitch links are almost vertical, the ones that come from the flybar down to the bell crank.

Here's a pic of the SR spindle shaft assembly
OK everything looks OK everything is moving and pitch looks right.. Up stick is up heli..

Even treated her to some new blades,,, some shorter ones I found in the parts box,, maybe CP's?? Anyway they were cheap from E bay.. Oiled everything up and she's ready to go..

Funny that I had to use a 1/16" Allen wrench and not 1.5mm on everything..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:45 AM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
OK everything looks OK everything is moving and pitch looks right.. Up stick is up heli..

Even treated her to some new blades,,, some shorter ones I found in the parts box,, maybe CP's?? Anyway they were cheap from E bay.. Oiled everything up and she's ready to go..

Funny that I had to use a 1/16" Allen wrench and not 1.5mm on everything..
Shorter blades seem to make the SR more twitchy. I have set of C/F blades that TurboParker recommended. And it is real twitchy with those. I went back to stock, for hovering in the living room anyway.

I need to build some courage and hover the T-REX in the living room, briefly, very briefly. Just to get some video of it. It's real nice low to the ground, GE doesn't seem to effect it too bad.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:50 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Shorter blades seem to make the SR more twitchy. I have set of C/F blades that TurboParker recommended. And it is real twitchy with those. I went back to stock, for hovering in the living room anyway.

I need to build some courage and hover the T-REX in the living room, briefly, very briefly. Just to get some video of it. It's real nice low to the ground, GE doesn't seem to effect it too bad.

These are on so I'll give them a try and if I don't like them either I'll switch back to stock.. But I hope I like these as looks like I ordered 10 pair of them..
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Here's the first video of my T-REX 450.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJAMVUNRnE
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:53 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Here's the first video of my T-REX 450.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJAMVUNRnE
This is purely my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
This vid shows that you have much more control of your SR for the space available. It appears as though you are coming dangerously close to furniture and the Trex is wandering quite a bit for such a small room.
You know how some parents say to their kids to "use your inside voice"? The Trex is definitely not your inside heli. Well, for that matter, neither is the SR but it's just small enough, you can safely get away with it for limited hovering. Before you have a mishap that will set you back (both psychologically and helicopter wise), you might want to shelve the Trex till the good outdoor flying weather comes back. The 450 is potentially a very powerful and dangerous machine. That room you hover in is way too small, at least until you can control the movement of the heli far more than you are now. A bigger outside space is a much better place to practice that skill.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:50 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
This vid shows that you have much more control of your SR for the space available. It appears as though you are coming dangerously close to furniture and the Trex is wandering quite a bit for such a small room.
You know how some parents say to their kids to "use your inside voice"? The Trex is definitely not your inside heli. Well, for that matter, neither is the SR but it's just small enough, you can safely get away with it for limited hovering. Before you have a mishap that will set you back (both psychologically and helicopter wise), you might want to shelve the Trex till the good outdoor flying weather comes back. The 450 is potentially a very powerful and dangerous machine. That room you hover in is way too small, at least until you can control the movement of the heli far more than you are now. A bigger outside space is a much better place to practice that skill.
Xviper might be right but it is amazing how much you have progressed in this hobby already- kudos to you NBHU!!!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post

I must agree with you. I came very close to the wall just after it lifted off the ground. But I just wanted to make short vid for everyone to see. There will be no more using the T-REX indoors. I appreciate your comments and will heed your advice. The next time the T-REX is fired up, it'll be outside.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
Xviper might be right but it is amazing how much you have progressed in this hobby already- kudos to you NBHU!!!
Thank you. The heli is a bit nose heavy due to the battery. That Turnigy battery is pretty heavy. I am hoping to be able to afford some "lighter" batteries. But all in all, I think when I get it outside, I am in for a ride. This thing is very twitchy and really wants to go, as you see from the video.

But no more flying that one inside. It's a shame it was so windy outside today. If it's not windy tomorrow I may take it outside here in the back where I have about a 50x50 foot area an do some hovering and see how I get along. I gotta have my wife down there though to watch out for kids.

As xviper said, these things are potentially very dangerous. And perhaps, it was misguided of me to try it in my living room. But I managed to get away with it. So count myself lucky, and don't do it again.

Thanks all for following me. I am not real good yet, but I am getting there.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Well, I had to move some stuff around, namely, I moved the ESC backwards about an inch, and that seems to have now balanced the heli perfectly. I am glad, cause I didn't like it nose heavy. But it's fixed now. I'll take some pics if anyone wants to see it.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Wiring redo

Alright, I redid the wiring a bit. As I said I got it more centered and I am happy about that. I did the best I could. I am sure there are things that could be better, but it was my first time. I have never built a heli in my life, except this one. Anyway, I am open to any suggestions anyone might have.

I used my AR6200 receiver as you can see. I put the 2nd antenna set up higher on the frame to help reception. I think I did ok? I changed things about 10 times, and I had to add a shrink wrap to all the motor connections as it was real hard to get them to connect the first time, so I used a set of needle nose pliers, and that roughed up the ends. But it's all good now. I like it. This was fun. I think I have more fun out of building these things than actually flying them. Nah, just joshin, I love to fly them too. It's even more fun to see it fly for the first time after all the work. I mean it's not just building it. It's the setup, the checking, and rechecking of things. First time I actually plugged a battery into it, it was to check my DX6i settings, and make sure all servo's were at 90 degrees and the swash didn't bind in either direction. Then there was pitch, then I got to actually get the blades spinning to check tracking. But it was a fun experience. Now, I need good weather. Maybe tomorrow before I go to work it'll be nice and I can try it.

It sure is fun this little hobby of ours.

I hope I get my DDVP tail soon for my SR. I can hardly wait for that. That's gonna make that a whole new bird, and give me something else to do. It'll be nice ripping that big old heavy E-flight ESC out of there and replacing it with a 12amp. I can hardly wait to get that done. I wish I could get paid to do this sometimes. Except when I am tired.
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 20, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:27 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Great progress REX,,, I'll have to agree on not flying the T Rex inside but you knew that you shouldn't but you got away with it. This is where you and I differ,,,,, I wouldn't of gotten away with it..
And did a good job of flying it not even with training gear. I think I'll go look at your first video of you flying inside and see the improvement..

It did look like your living room was bigger now than it was before... How did you do that??
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Great progress REX,,, I'll have to agree on not flying the T Rex inside but you knew that you shouldn't but you got away with it. This is where you and I differ,,,,, I wouldn't of gotten away with it..
And did a good job of flying it not even with training gear. I think I'll go look at your first video of you flying inside and see the improvement..

It did look like your living room was bigger now than it was before... How did you do that??
We put a bunch of christmas stuff in storage. That T-REX is a heck of a helicopter. I am very impressed with how it handles, it's A LOT more responsive than the SR.

I don't know, I think you might have gotten away with it Bob. You are, I think, a better pilot than I am. I was lucky, that was actually my third time hovering it in the living room on that video. But, after almost hitting the wall, even though I got the CG better, I am not going to try it again. Luck comes in small batches. I think I have used all of mine. I have not had a serious accident, heck not even an accident since I started using the 2nd SR. My luck has run out. Especially after almost hitting that wall. Whew, I am still freaking about that. I just hope my wiring that I did is ok. I read you need to keep your ESC and your radio at least 3cm apart. Mine isn't that far away........but I have the 2nd antenna set. So I am in hopes that will help. But that AR6200 is a real pain to plug into. I would like to reroute a wire, but the thought of unplugging it from the radio makes me ill. I like to work on stuff, but that's akin to a surgeon shooting himself in the foot so he has something to operate on. I may take my dremel and cut off the bottom section of the housing around the pins to make it easier.

I would have liked to use that AR7100, but it's huge..........I mean huge. If this was a dirty movie, this receiver would be John Holmes. Wow, what a monster receiver. And it's heavy too. So that was out using that.

Anyway, I am off to bed. I gotta work at 5 pm today. And I don't really want to go. I wish I could just go hover this new helicopter. I would go through battery after battery hovering it as best I could.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:21 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
WOW Rex! nice job on the heli! it looks nice and clean. Thats some crazy flying in the house with that thing. Thank god your luck was still working! I'm happy nothing happened! Take her outside! the 450 should be even more resistant to a breeze that the SR. I fly my SR in 5 to 10 Mph winds and it does fine. I rarely have a chance to fly inside. The last time I did I found I was all over the place! any how, try it outside man! it's pretty awesome! You are doing great! You are so lucky to have the time, money and support to further your hobby (obsession).
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Hey Marc, thanks for the nice comments. I am not sure I have the time, but I seem to have the money and the obsession part down. I am so tired right now. I worked all weekend on this darn thing. I have some fine tuning to do, but I am happy with it. There just won't be anymore using it in the house. I got away with it 3 times. I made the video on the 3rd try. And that scared me good. All that work would be for naught if I wrecked it inside the apt.

I'll try to get some video next weekend. I am going to yakima, so I may take it over to the school while i am there. But I need a carry case. and I don't want to pay 60 bucks for an align one. I found on on xheli for 35.......I want to get that.