HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
The head on the SR is made of plastic, and you do not use loctite on plastic. You do not have to take apart anything on the SR, seriously.
Sorry man, I should have stated. I have ordered a T-REX 450 Sport Super Combo Kit
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjojo View Post
??????
Belts on a 450 DO BREAK! i have had it happen multiple times. I know of others who play the model heli game and just fix things when the heli is in pieces from a crash. Perhpas hovering isn't hard on a heli belt but bang the tail on the ground skipping the cogs and and you get a weak spot on the belt. Belts are wearable item and mostly every pilot waits til they break. Broken belts on a 450 have been my most expensive crashes.

TT gears don't break if your gyro is set up right and you don't hit the tail on the ground.....that's why they are not good for beginners.
I never had one break on me, never had any other size belt break either, have stripped a few TT gears. I will NEVER use another TT again.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
Certified ground locator.
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
Im having an issue with my SR and need some advice. I am having some trouble with my gyro and I suspect that it is bad but I had the same problem with my 400 and it cost me the bird, so I wanted to make sure I am not missing something. I am by no means an experienced heli pilot but i am at the point where I can hold a stable hover in any orientation and manuevor around. I can bring the heli up and hold a hover and everything works great for 1-2 min. Then all of a sudden the tail starts going crazy and moving back and forth to the point where it is very difficult to control and has caused me to have many "hard landings". If I successfuly make it to the ground without damage and try to start her up again the tail does the same thing. Even when i unplug the battery and plug it back in. However if I put the heli away and bring it out the next day I usally get the same 1 min or so of normal operation before it goes crazy....any ideas of what the issue could be?
Ompapamowmow is offline Find More Posts by Ompapamowmow
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ompapamowmow View Post
Im having an issue with my SR and need some advice. I am having some trouble with my gyro and I suspect that it is bad but I had the same problem with my 400 and it cost me the bird, so I wanted to make sure I am not missing something. I am by no means an experienced heli pilot but i am at the point where I can hold a stable hover in any orientation and manuevor around. I can bring the heli up and hold a hover and everything works great for 1-2 min. Then all of a sudden the tail starts going crazy and moving back and forth to the point where it is very difficult to control and has caused me to have many "hard landings". If I successfuly make it to the ground without damage and try to start her up again the tail does the same thing. Even when i unplug the battery and plug it back in. However if I put the heli away and bring it out the next day I usally get the same 1 min or so of normal operation before it goes crazy....any ideas of what the issue could be?
Have you tried to adjust the gyro's gain when this happens? Does it make any difference?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
Yes I have tried to turn the gain down and no joy. That is a good way of explaining the issue. It kind of acts as if the gain is up to high when you start to get the tail wag but it goes back and forth more than 90 degrees.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
hmmmmm. could it be my tail motor is heating up and crapping out? Or would it go out completly?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ompapamowmow View Post
hmmmmm. could it be my tail motor is heating up and crapping out? Or would it go out completly?
I would make this my first guess and replace it first and see if the problem is solved..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2008
167 Posts
ok great. Ill post my results when i get them. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I hope that guy figures out his tail/gyro. That's weird. But it does sound like the motor is having problems.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I got a set of the C/F blades Turboparker uses. Sure helped the tail, made it a lot more twitchy, for me anyway. I can hover it in the living room just fine, but it's a bit more nerve racking than stock blades. But they are sure nice. I am going to stick with stock now. Oh god, if you can hear me, please deliver my DDVP tail.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,001 Posts
got my brushless tail motor today from HK, will do the install tomorrow
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
got my brushless tail motor today from HK, will do the install tomorrow
Cool, what esc are you using to power it?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Bob, I just thought I'd let you know I ordered 2 Turnigy 2200mah 3s 35c batteries from HobbyKing. And I must say. I am very happy with their service. I ordered them on Saturday, and they arrived today. That is just great, even with USPS I am impressed. I will order from them from now on. Half the price of everywhere else. Everybody else wanted 45 to 50 for a 2200mah 3s 35c battery. I got them from HK for like 22 apiece. That's not too darn bad.

Thank you again Bob. You have again showed me that you are smarter than I am at every turn.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I am sorry to hear that. It's good news about the CNC tail mount getting rid of heat. But, there is some repair to be done now. I would imagine you have a feathering shaft to replace as well. Better check that.

Good luck on your next flight. Take care.
Yup...it was bent only a little bit but still enough to cause problems. I always check the feathering shaft after a serious prang. This is the third one I've replaced so far and now only takes me 2 minutes to do so. Besides, I had to replace the blade holder anyway. Now I'm waiting for my order form HH to replace the main gear. I had considered buying the delrin version but I've heard some not so good reports on these. Anyway they're a bit pricey.
HO, Ho the weather up here in Northern Michigan is showing signs of spring already...temps predicting to reach 50 by Thursday. Ah well, this is Michigan and we could get massive snow next week.
Already noticing signs of cabin fever
I put up new pegboard in my workshop so now I have all the parts where I can get to them. Got all my metal shop rulers and cordless drills hanging up. Looking much better so now maybe I'll feel more enticed toward starting a new plane....yes I build and fly planes too.
cheers
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,409 Posts
Having had some good results with the FG blades from Microheli on my parts CP, I am going to give them a go on my SR. There is a definate increase in rpm and as my T-Rex's have shown, a nice, fast head speed is a good thing for stability. Not too fast, but right up there. Time will tell.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger