HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:09 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
Where can I buy cheap main blades for this heli?
Bakon,

I'm not sure, but maybe someone else will chime in. I tried a pair of Eflite's carbon-fiber CP Pro blades after my 5th flight - when I brushed a blade on the sod while she was spooling down after landing in a stiff wind. Popped some covering, so I new that at least one blade was toast. Our club was having its weekly indoor-fly, and I really wanted to fly my SR indoors - as I had yet to do so. My LHS only had the CP Pro c/f blades in stock, so I bought them. Checked the balance, and they were within 0.01g. I immediately noticed an improvement in 'feel', and the tail settled down quite a bit. Headspeed went up slightly, and the tail motor ran just warm to the touch. Over 30 hrs later, and I'm still using them.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Well to be honest, I can pretty much feel it until I get about 3 feet off the floor, then it smooths out. There are bits of time when I am low that I can hold it pretty well, then it kind of starts to get away from me due to my lack of experience. I can, for the most part telegraph what it's going to do. My trouble is I over correct for what I think it's about to do. I have gotten somewhat use to what movements it makes when getting closer to the ground and then rising.

I can tell you this, my wife complains when she's in her nighty and I am hovering it in the living room. She notices the effects of the rotor wash quite a bit, and doesn't like it. Says it makes her cold. I just can't do anything right.
Tell her to just wait until Valentine's Day a year or so from now, when you'll be so good, you'll spool-up your 700N w/smoke kit & write her name in the sky right next to a great big heart. How could she not just fall in love with you all over again?

BTW - your tendency to over-correct will diminish in time. Took me a few hours of stick-time to get it worked out.

Joel
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Tell her to just wait until Valentine's Day a year or so from now, when you'll be so good, you'll spool-up your 700N w/smoke kit & write her name in the sky right next to a great big heart. How could she not just fall in love with you all over again?

BTW - your tendency to over-correct will diminish in time. Took me a few hours of stick-time to get it worked out.

Joel
Well, she loves me so much I think it would be hard to love me more. She's a real good woman, and understand me.

I am glad I have accomplished what I have so far. I'll even be happier when the DDVP tail comes in. Just getting rid of that motor, regardless of how much quieter it is with the new blades, will be nice. I just want to get rid of any brushed motors.

The new TREX I am getting has a belt drive tail. I probably should stock up on belts. Belt drive tails better or worse, or is it a preference to torque tube?
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Well, she loves me so much I think it would be hard to love me more. She's a real good woman, and understand me.

I am glad I have accomplished what I have so far. I'll even be happier when the DDVP tail comes in. Just getting rid of that motor, regardless of how much quieter it is with the new blades, will be nice. I just want to get rid of any brushed motors.

The new TREX I am getting has a belt drive tail. I probably should stock up on belts. Belt drive tails better or worse, or is it a preference to torque tube?
I'm not sure. I know that some of the serious heli guys in our club prefer torque-tube tails, but I've also heard that belt tails are usually a bit cheaper/easier to repair after a tail-strike. You may find a comparison between the two on Finless Bob's page.

Looking forward to hearing how the DDVP tail install goes. I've also been thinking about upgrading....

Joel
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure. I know that some of the serious heli guys in our club prefer torque-tube tails, but I've also heard that belt tails are usually a bit cheaper/easier to repair after a tail-strike. You may find a comparison between the two on Finless Bob's page.

Looking forward to hearing how the DDVP tail install goes. I've also been thinking about upgrading....

Joel
I can hardly wait. I want it so bad. This should be a really easy upgrade. Heck if I had the machinery, I would try to build one. But I really want it bad now.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Hi,
I'm trying to read all the Sr posts and am nearly up to date. I too have had a Trex 450 V2. The Torque Tubes are great. I have them on my 600's and m700. I'm sure you know the 450 pro has the Tube. You may not be aware the tube is usually less forgiving with ground strikes. I've seen many times a Trex TT tail strike the ground to end up in a violent piro to a bad crash. The 450 belted tail is much more forgiving. The belt too can break but hitting the tial on the ground usually only caused the belt to skip on the gear. You can hear that so you'll know. I always recommend the belt to beginner to sport pilots. In real hard 3D you will find guys flying both belt and Torque tube tials. I originally thought the torque tube gave better tail control but then I learned how to tune my tail and I can fly both in any 3d manuver and it is hard to tell the difference. Torque tube tails auto better since their is not as much friction on the drive train.
Belts on a 450 or larger can easily be set up to be tight for 3d manuvers which increases friction, holding, but adds friction for the autorotations.

Belts can be run loose on your 450 to aid in autorotations due to les friction. However the loose belt does noticeably skip the cogs more on the belt gear during hard manuvers or 3D.

Anoter note, it seems there is always the "braggers rights" to who gets the most flights out of a belt. Belts break at different unpredicted intervals. I know I can get 100 -500 flights out of a belt depending on how I fly. I have learned to change the belt every 50 or so flights since I put a lot of stress on the belt. I had too many broken belts to learn from. The piro-crashes do produce some bad damage.
Hope this helps.
Jojo
itsjojo is offline Find More Posts by itsjojo
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,993 Posts
Quote:
I probably should stock up on belts. Belt drive tails better or worse, or is it a preference to torque tube?
You're still buying stuff you don't yet need and may never need. This makes the model so much more expensive than they really are. Align helis are so common, with parts availability almost anywhere. Buy one if you need one. You can easily break the bank buying spares you think might break. Look at the stockpile you already have and ask yourself if all of it was really necessary. A little downtime while waiting to get a part might be just the breather one needs so you don't break that part again. Besides, you've now got other helis to keep you occupied should one do down.
I have 3 450 helis with belt tail drives. The belts are not problematic. You just need to do the maintenance on them as the owner's manual will tell you. Requires periodic silicone spray.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
You're still buying stuff you don't yet need and may never need. This makes the model so much more expensive than they really are. Align helis are so common, with parts availability almost anywhere. Buy one if you need one. You can easily break the bank buying spares you think might break. Look at the stockpile you already have and ask yourself if all of it was really necessary. A little downtime while waiting to get a part might be just the breather one needs so you don't break that part again. Besides, you've now got other helis to keep you occupied should one do down.
I have 3 450 helis with belt tail drives. The belts are not problematic. You just need to do the maintenance on them as the owner's manual will tell you. Requires periodic silicone spray.
Thanks man. I might just one spare belt, but not until I get it. I really appreciate your advice. I appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:16 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Bakon,

I'm not sure, but maybe someone else will chime in. I tried a pair of Eflite's carbon-fiber CP Pro blades after my 5th flight - when I brushed a blade on the sod while she was spooling down after landing in a stiff wind. Popped some covering, so I new that at least one blade was toast. Our club was having its weekly indoor-fly, and I really wanted to fly my SR indoors - as I had yet to do so. My LHS only had the CP Pro c/f blades in stock, so I bought them. Checked the balance, and they were within 0.01g. I immediately noticed an improvement in 'feel', and the tail settled down quite a bit. Headspeed went up slightly, and the tail motor ran just warm to the touch. Over 30 hrs later, and I'm still using them.

Joel
Cool thanks
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,218 Posts
Belts do not break, you won't need another for a few years unlike TT gears which will strip all the time, TTs suck belts are better.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Belts do not break, you won't need another for a few years unlike TT gears which will strip all the time, TTs suck belts are better.
Thank you. TT gears? Please forgive my ignorance.

Nevermind, TT=Torque Tube. Sorry
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 14, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
A measure of objectivity is good thing...especially when backed up with supporting data.

Joel
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
??????
Belts on a 450 DO BREAK! i have had it happen multiple times. I know of others who play the model heli game and just fix things when the heli is in pieces from a crash. Perhpas hovering isn't hard on a heli belt but bang the tail on the ground skipping the cogs and and you get a weak spot on the belt. Belts are wearable item and mostly every pilot waits til they break. Broken belts on a 450 have been my most expensive crashes.

TT gears don't break if your gyro is set up right and you don't hit the tail on the ground.....that's why they are not good for beginners.
itsjojo is offline Find More Posts by itsjojo
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:36 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Alright, my helicopter should be delivered on Wed. The first thing I was going to do is work on the head. I was going to remove one screw at a time and and make sure they have loctite. As well, I was going to take apart the feathering shaft and grease the bearings.

What grease should I use?

I have some of this stuff called Labelle 106. It's plastic safe. But there's no plastic in the feathering shaft portion of the head. Is this grease ok to use on that?

It's a white grease. I want to make sure I do this right, and was told in multiple videos to grease these bearings.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:17 AM
Joined Apr 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Alright, my helicopter should be delivered on Wed. The first thing I was going to do is work on the head. I was going to remove one screw at a time and and make sure they have loctite. As well, I was going to take apart the feathering shaft and grease the bearings.
The head on the SR is made of plastic, and you do not use loctite on plastic. You do not have to take apart anything on the SR, seriously.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica