to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Decided to cancel the order and use the money for SR parts. Might as well get back on the horse!!
Alright. That's great to hear. I am telling you, the SR isn't that hard. Get it bound to a decent TX and you are in business.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
My metal swash came in today. And I just installed it. I'll give it a test fly here shortly, with a video I hope.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I have installed the metal swashplate. It took a lot of adjustment to get it back to right. When I first put it on and tried to lift off, it wouldn't. so I had to readjust all the linkages and pitch settings. Man, that was fun. I am still learning so I adjust a little here and check with the pitch gauge. I have ever so slight amount of binding in the head. It's not the travel, but it's trying to pitch the blades farther than they'll go. I think I just need to adjust the pitch linkages down a 1/2 turn or possibly a full turn. Then of course, check with a pitch gauge and check binding. I was able to stop the binding by turning the pitch curve at full stick down to 98.5 So it's just barely binding. I think a half a turn will do on the pitch linkage and then I might have to extend the servo links a turn. But I'll do one thing at at time. First, shorten the pitch linkages and try it. The head had plenty of travel, and so does the servos as I can go full stick in any direction and have full cyclic.

I'll let you know. Once it's adjusted perfectly I'll make a video.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Ok my previous post was full of crap. The head was binding. But that is all fixed now. It's kind of strange. I have read you shouldn't do half turns on the servo pushrods. Is that correct? It was the only way I could get it to stop binding. Full turns would not give me enough travel. The links are secure, they do not want to come off. But now I have it working like it did before I started all this. It now lifts off just a hair over half stick and hovers real nice. It's a bit more reactive it seems. I guess metal does have as much give to it as plastic. It seems real nice though. I am going to post a video of the close up of the swashplate. But I had to adjust a lot to get it working right. It took ME all day. I am sure cause I am so new to this. But I am figuring it out. I think the T-REX is going to be a real handful for me. I have ordered a dial caliper, so that'll be nice when that gets here.

Anyway, video post soon. Gotta do laundry first though. I think I have it pretty fine tuned now. It's not hard to hover at all. It still moves around if it's close to the ground, but that GI. All in all it really responds nice with the new swash. I really like it. And it's blue, so it's cute. A bit more responsive which is kind of nice. I have my expo set to +10. I am getting to the point where I don't need any. I must be improving if I can drop expo, I think anyway. I bet if it had an all metal head setup, it would be quite responsive. But I am not going to do that. I have a T-REX on the way. And, well, my name is Rex, and I have been called T-REX, so this is personal.

All in all, I like the new metal swash. I am getting ready to do the video. Laundry is almost done.
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 13, 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Ok, I finally figured out what caused all the problems today. The (I am not sure what it's called) the little rocker that the pitch control link is attached to. That got flipped to the wrong side. I all of the sudden remember a video I watched that said the pitch control arms should almost be vertical. And wow, they weren't. They were way slanted. So I changed them back, had to shorted the links and redo pitch bla bla bla. Hence, it is now fixed. Geez, I am dumb. I even made a video of it before fixing it. I am just going to leave it and put an annotation in point to the area and saying it's wrong. But the metal swash only took ME all day to finally get right.

Another learning experience this has been. I was not paying attention when I put it back together, obviously. So, I need to pay closer attention to what I am doing. But, being me, I was so excited I just snapped it back on and just took off. I mean I put locktite on the little screw for the retaining collar, and the screw for the main gear as the hub is all metal. But when it came to snapping the links back on, I just went at it and didn't look at it. Even after it wouldn't fly, I didn't look at it closer. I just went on and adjusted and adjusted, more adjusting. I need to remember, it flew fine before the swash replacement. Something must be connected wrong.

Anyway, sorry to bore you guys. I apologize.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Sep 2006
375 Posts
It's happens a lot, I used the wrong screw hole on the microheli center hub but discovered it on a mechanical check before I flew her.
MikeK0416 is offline Find More Posts by MikeK0416
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:52 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,413 Posts
Hey guys, I replaced the plastic tail motor mount with the CNC version and the results are in....the metal mount dissipates a great deal of the heat generated by the motor. After a full battery pack, the motor is just slightly warm.
All for naught....I attempted a pirouette in the middle of the gym and ended up with a bent tail boom and broken blade holder and nashed the teeth on the main gear. That's the way it goes when I try to show off.
jollyroger is online now Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
Hey guys, I replaced the plastic tail motor mount with the CNC version and the results are in....the metal mount dissipates a great deal of the heat generated by the motor. After a full battery pack, the motor is just slightly warm.
All for naught....I attempted a pirouette in the middle of the gym and ended up with a bent tail boom and broken blade holder and nashed the teeth on the main gear. That's the way it goes when I try to show off.
This is why I always try to fly alone...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I am sorry to hear that. It's good news about the CNC tail mount getting rid of heat. But, there is some repair to be done now. I would imagine you have a feathering shaft to replace as well. Better check that.

Good luck on your next flight. Take care.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
A few new videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKn8rKOfDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z12feJqMKiU
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
My T-REX 450 has shipped. Of course it won't actually leave until tomorrow, but it has been shipped. YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Where can I buy cheap main blades for this heli?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,657 Posts
Rex,

Lookin' good! Seems like you've got her dialed-in, now. I'm curious - how long before you start noticing the effects of your own rotorwash? I've never tried hovering mine in a space that small, but this draggy winter has got me thinking about sneaking in an SR 'hover fix' in the living room...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Rex,

Lookin' good! Seems like you've got her dialed-in, now. I'm curious - how long before you start noticing the effects of your own rotorwash? I've never tried hovering mine in a space that small, but this draggy winter has got me thinking about sneaking in an SR 'hover fix' in the living room...

Joel
Well to be honest, I can pretty much feel it until I get about 3 feet off the floor, then it smooths out. There are bits of time when I am low that I can hold it pretty well, then it kind of starts to get away from me due to my lack of experience. I can, for the most part telegraph what it's going to do. My trouble is I over correct for what I think it's about to do. I have gotten somewhat use to what movements it makes when getting closer to the ground and then rising.

I can tell you this, my wife complains when she's in her nighty and I am hovering it in the living room. She notices the effects of the rotor wash quite a bit, and doesn't like it. Says it makes her cold. I just can't do anything right.

I don't know if I'd be willing to hover in my living room with the blades you have though. Those are much shorter than stock. I incorrectly stated in a previous post they were 15mm short, they aren't. They are 10mm shorter as stock is 245. The c/f blades i have are 250. But I did order the ones you have. Should be here soon. I think I will try outside first though. The metal swash is nice, I now do not worry about a separation. But I am doing my best to keep it from crashing. I have been practicing with the T-REX 450 in the sim. And I can do pretty good with her. Did some major FFF, and hard turns and never crashed once. I am sure that is not going to translate to real life. But I just want to get good with the Sr,and then try and hover the 450.
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 13, 2011 at 07:16 PM.