Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Rex,

Post up some pics after the 'unboxing'!

Joel
I'll do that.

As far as the rx is concerned. I thought of it this way. I can use it in other things. I could have got something cheaper, but hey, I want this to be as nice as I can. I got some tools I was told I might need. Swash leveler and and some align hex drivers, and set of ball link pliers. I think that's all I need. I may try to pick up a dial caliper sometime through the week.

It's a good rx, and although I am not sure how to wire it yet, it has it's own power connector. I guess I just spice it to the ESC or install a Y cable. That's the only thing I can think of.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:51 AM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Well, it's a done deal. No further point in debating which RX he should or shouldn't get.
Keep us in the loop as to how you're making out with this. If you start a new thread about your Trex adventure, put a link in this thread so we can follow along.
I'll do that. I promise. You guys have been so helpful. Mind you, it may be take quite a while for me to build this as it is my first one. Please be patient. As well, it may be a long time before it's flown after it's built. I don't really have any batteries that are big enough for this heli. So I will need to buy some, and I don't think they are cheap. 2000 to 2200mah is what is recommended. I would think 25 to 35C as well.

I hope to god I can do this. I hope I have not just stepped into a big pile of quicksand.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
I think I may get my metal swashplate today. That would be nice. Nothing like pulling the main shaft out of the SR again.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
I know a lot of you guys are plane flyers too. is a CARL GOLDBERG HUSKY 400 PIPER J-3 CUB a good starter trainer? for someone whos never flown a plane? uh me
I got a Hobbyzone super cub LP. Nice air plane, no ailerons, just turning by tail via dihedral (probably spelled that wrong). But it's just the wings are in a slight V shape. Easy to fly, really easy. It can do loops and can say up for about 15 min on a 1300mah battery. And you can get it in a BNF version so that it uses 2.4GHz spektrum technology so you can use your DX6i or 7 with it. The one that is RTF uses a 72mhz radio setup. I wanted to use my DX6i with it. You can also buy floats for it so you can take off and land on water. Once you get good enough at landings that is. It's fun to fly, I really like it. I just don't fly it much as I am trying to concentrate on heli's right now.

Anyway, it's real easy to fly. My wife could probably do it. the only thing, get some bigger wheels for it if you plan on landing on grass. It'll nose over if you don't. you can somewhat avoid that if, just before landing, kill the power, touch down and apply full up elevator. That helps hold the tail to the ground.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:53 AM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I'll do that. I promise. You guys have been so helpful. Mind you, it may be take quite a while for me to build this as it is my first one. Please be patient. As well, it may be a long time before it's flown after it's built. I don't really have any batteries that are big enough for this heli. So I will need to buy some, and I don't think they are cheap. 2000 to 2200mah is what is recommended. I would think 25 to 35C as well.

I hope to god I can do this. I hope I have not just stepped into a big pile of quicksand.
Building them is easy it's setup that is confusing. Watch Finless Bobs build videos on heli freak they will help you out alot. And also you won't be afraid to take it apart like you are with your SR cause you know where everything goes. After you build it I can almost guarantee you will be able to tear it down all the way and put it back together without even looking at the instructions.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Building them is easy it's setup that is confusing. Watch Finless Bobs build videos on heli freak they will help you out alot. And also you won't be afraid to take it apart like you are with your SR cause you know where everything goes. After you build it I can almost guarantee you will be able to tear it down all the way and put it back together without even looking at the instructions.
Thanks man, I guarantee I am going to watch those videos. I'll probably have watched them 5 times each by the time my heli arrives. Which, if it's shipped Monday, should be here Thursday. I don't think I'll be hovering it anytime soon. I just tried a T-REX 450 in the sim. I was able to hover it, and I ever flew it. It's much more responsive, I really like it. I was doing hard banking turns and leveling out and coming back. It was really really fun. I think was messes new people up is having to pull back on the stick to gain altitude or stop going down in FF. More pitch helps to gain speed in FF. But too much elevator will put you into the ground. I could even bring it back to me, and land it nicely. But I don't think the real thing is going to be quite that easy. That simulator can give you a false sense of experience. Which is bad if you're new.

But I want to get better with the SR. I want to be able to really fly it.

I can just hardly wait. It's probably going to take me forever to build it. It looks like I might get my metal swash today. I'll put that on and see how things look. I should be getting my new C/F blades too. That should be interesting. They are 15mm shorter than stock. I think I may try the first hover outside as it's going to be a bit more responsive. I guess I'll have to adjust the proportion as well. But anyway, I am so happy. I am really getting a real T-REX heli. Not a clone, or something like it. I almost thought about a B400. But that doesn't help me build one. And learn how they work. That is what I want. I doubt I'll ever be able to do real major 3D stuff. But it doesn't mean I can't be great at setting them up, and knowing how they work. Knowledge is power, and that's what I am after. This is so much fun it's scary.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Well, I was looking around, and I took some of Bob's advice and tried HobbyKing. They apparently have a USA warehouse. I found a Turnigy 2200mah 35C battery for 21 and change. I ordered 2. They don't have the connector I am going to use, but I can fix that. I am going to use EC3 connectors, as that is what I am going to switch the SR to when I get the DDVP tail and switch out the ESC.

So for like 50 bucks I got 2 batteries. That's not too bad. And I have 4 turnigy 1000mah batteries, and they are great. They don't even get warm. It'll be nice having the batteries I need, actually everything I need. I need to watch those videos. I have already downloaded the instruction manual. I have glanced through it. It appears in this kit, unlike the one I watched on Horizon Hobby, this one is pretty much completely disassembled. I think the head is put together. But that appeared to be it. I watch a video on the unboxing of it. It seems like there is a lot of work ahead of me. But, that is what I want. I do not want to even try to hover this thing until I am sure I am ready. If it responds half as well as in the sim, I am in trouble. I mean I was able to hover it in the sim, it was a bit more challenging. Ok, a lot more challenging. I can tell some expo is in order. But all in all, the challenge is there. Besides if I don't get it, my wife is going to kill me, and bury me and burn the marriage certificate, and be hypnotized into forgetting I ever existed.

She loves me, I think that is obvious. I think I may sell my MSR. I can fly the 120SR in my living room fine. I don't really even like that thing anymore. It's too easy. I can almost watch TV and fly that darn thing. There's a guy at work who I think might buy it. I have LOTS of spare parts, heck I even have a spare one he could have.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I get it. And I think instead of pics, I'll make a video of the unboxing. I like that, and it's so easy with the Sony Bloggie. Stupid name for a HD camcorder, but it does real nice. Just not so well in low light. But it's so small......and it does 1080p. I like it.

If anyone wants pics, I can do that too. I just need to know if you want them.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,330 Posts
I have used AR6100/6100E receivers for my CP Pro 2's (stock RX), T-Rex 250's, and it is stock in my Blade 400. The RX in my T-Rex 450 Pro is the AR8000 that came with the DX8. The AR7100 is a very large RX for a 450 but there is a very good chance that it will fit flat in the lower portion of the frame and it also has a remote RX unit that can cover areas that can be covered by metal or carbon fibre parts. You do not need to use the included EC3 connector on the RX but do make sure that it is covered up to keep dirt out of it. If you do decide to use it, disconnect the red wire from the ESC that plugs into the Throttle postiion in the RX. There is a lot of information out there but do be careful when using the AR7100 with an external battery. The EC3 connector on the RX is meant to be connnected to a 7.4v to 8.4v battery, not to a higher voltage and some of the servo feeds are line voltage and not regulated to 5.1v. Another very good RX to use with a heli is the AR7000/7010 which also has the remote RX if you ever need another one. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Dec 2010
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I have used AR6100/6100E receivers for my CP Pro 2's (stock RX), T-Rex 250's, and it is stock in my Blade 400. The RX in my T-Rex 450 Pro is the AR8000 that came with the DX8. The AR7100 is a very large RX for a 450 but there is a very good chance that it will fit flat in the lower portion of the frame and it also has a remote RX unit that can cover areas that can be covered by metal or carbon fibre parts. You do not need to use the included EC3 connector on the RX but do make sure that it is covered up to keep dirt out of it. If you do decide to use it, disconnect the red wire from the ESC that plugs into the Throttle postiion in the RX. There is a lot of information out there but do be careful when using the AR7100 with an external battery. The EC3 connector on the RX is meant to be connnected to a 7.4v to 8.4v battery, not to a higher voltage and some of the servo feeds are line voltage and not regulated to 5.1v. Another very good RX to use with a heli is the AR7000/7010 which also has the remote RX if you ever need another one. Take care.

Don
See, I didn't know this. I just will not use the EC3 connector on the AR7100 at all.

Is there anything I need to know in plugging in the servo's to the AR7100? Is the voltage all good? I know the servo's that come with it, the 3 anyway can use be used in analog or digital mode. I was going to use digital.

Why is it there? What's it for?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
608 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a helimax novus 125 FP today. Might be a better to get some stick time on this until I get my blade SR back up and running. Probably going to sell my msr since it is not outdoor friendly. Going to order a new swashplate and some blade 400 skids to put on my SR next week.

I guess you cant have too many helicopters. Got a hanger full of planes as well.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a helimax novus 125 FP today. Might be a better to get some stick time on this until I get my blade SR back up and running. Probably going to sell my msr since it is not outdoor friendly. Going to order a new swashplate and some blade 400 skids to put on my SR next week.

I guess you cant have too many helicopters. Got a hanger full of planes as well.

Shame that you didn't get the V120D01 or even better the D02..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2004
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Shame that you didn't get the V120D01 or even better the D02..
I was looking at buying something where I had parts support locally. So its helimax or eflite are my choices locally. I like the novus 125 since its a shaft driven tail. I dont have to worry about burning up tail motors. Seems to be a problem with all the eflite helis.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
I was looking at buying something where I had parts support locally. So its helimax or eflite are my choices locally. I like the novus 125 since its a shaft driven tail. I dont have to worry about burning up tail motors. Seems to be a problem with all the eflite helis.
As Heli-Max is made by Walkera and is always the older models.. You could of had the same thing but in a FBL model. With most parts still at your LHS..

Anyways make sure you do the slipper clutch on the tail or stock up on tail gears..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2004
608 Posts
Decided to cancel the order and use the money for SR parts. Might as well get back on the horse!!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
See, I didn't know this. I just will not use the EC3 connector on the AR7100 at all.

Is there anything I need to know in plugging in the servo's to the AR7100? Is the voltage all good? I know the servo's that come with it, the 3 anyway can use be used in analog or digital mode. I was going to use digital.

Why is it there? What's it for?
The reason that it is there is for systems that have ESC's that do not provide power for the RX and servo drivetrain. I built a 700 that used that RX plus a CC HV 110a ESC. The flight battery only provided power for the motor and a separate 7.4v LiPo provided power for the RX, etc. It allows the RX to have its own power source separate from the flight battery in the event that the flight battery dies prematurely. At least, there is a backup for the RX and with some systems, you can even put two independant batteries for dual redundency protection. What ever voltage your ESC will provide, will be the voltage at most, if not all, of the servo connectors on the RX. Do read up on the RX when you get the manual as it will walk you through a lot of the setup. Use digital mode on everything. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger