HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
goodhumormarc's Avatar
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,015 Posts
wouldn't a rev limiter be for a gasser anyhow!? Way to go REX!
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
wouldn't a rev limiter be for a gasser anyhow!? Way to go REX!
I'm pretty sure you're right.
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
Registered User
lazor 22's Avatar
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Ok, here's what I am going to do. I am going to order the T-REX 450 Sport combo kit from here And then I am going to save up for the AR7100. It's 149 at that website. I have to build the TREX450 anyway, so I can save for it while I am building it. Shouldn't take more than say 3 weeks. I get paid weekly, and putting 50 aside each week can be done.
Why the AR7100? It's not needed, just get a AR6110e, that is what I had on my 450, you don't need a satellite at that size and it will just make the heli looked cluttered. But I also have to say that I went from a SR to 450 Sport and was less then happy I wish I had gone bigger. The sport is a good heli, but I would REALLY recommend going for a 500 atleast. 450's are ok for learning but a 500 is SO much more stable and you will really benefit from it.

Oh and also if you really want the sport, buy from PerformancePlusRC it's cheaper then amain.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Why the AR7100? It's not needed, just get a AR6110e, that is what I had on my 450, you don't need a satellite at that size and it will just make the heli looked cluttered. But I also have to say that I went from a SR to 450 Sport and was less then happy I wish I had gone bigger. The sport is a good heli, but I would REALLY recommend going for a 500 atleast. 450's are ok for learning but a 500 is SO much more stable and you will really benefit from it.

Oh and also if you really want the sport, buy from PerformancePlusRC it's cheaper then amain.
Because the AR6110e is not even a full-range rx. It's a park-flier rx. I would never recommend that someone use a park-flier rx on a 450. Plus, I don't think the BEC has the power to properly drive high-speed digital servos.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
Registered User
lazor 22's Avatar
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
Lots of people use it, AR6110e is more then enough. Some even use it on a 500. You will lose sight of a 450 before you get out of "park flyer" range.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:30 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
goodhumormarc's Avatar
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,015 Posts
I know a lot of you guys are plane flyers too. is a CARL GOLDBERG HUSKY 400 PIPER J-3 CUB a good starter trainer? for someone whos never flown a plane? uh me
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Lots of people use it, AR6110e is more then enough. Some even use it on a 500. You will lose sight of a 450 before you get out of "park flyer" range.
I would never use a park-flier rx on anything that weighs as much and can fly as fast as a 450. You can do what you wish - but I would never recommend it to anyone. Plus, the 7100 has the servo pulses arranged to minimize lag in the CPPM mixing. This is a good thing.

I don't believe in skimping on radio links. An RC plane or heli only flies as well as its radio system allows. Some people say that 1024 resolution isn't important. It is to most everyone who has tried a higher-res radio on any high-performance plane or heli. A good radio link makes a difference. I've done back-to-back comparisons, and differences in latency & resolution are very noticeable to me. I also don't believe in skimping on batteries for high-performance electric planes & helis. They only peform as well as the battery allows - and there are huge differences in the performance & longevity of various LiPos - depending upon the manufacturer.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:58 PM
Registered User
lazor 22's Avatar
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
AR6110e isn't skimping it's just being economical. The "park flyer" range is not that small. The 7100 has some nice features but like I said IMO it's not needed for a 450 and it will just clutter your frame. There are many others who feel the same way too.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
AR6110e isn't skimping it's just being economical. The "park flyer" range is not that small. The 7100 has some nice features but like I said IMO it's not needed for a 450 and it will just clutter your frame. There are many others who feel the same way too.
I think it is skimping when you use it in a 3D heli. It's advertised as a park-flier rx for planes. Spektrum doesn't even mention using it for helis - likely due to the latency. Park-flier range is only spec'd to a few hundred feet or so. That's not much when you're flying something that can hit 50 MPH during FFF. And it doesn't have a BEC that's designed to handle the fast digital servos that are typically used on 3D helis. Do what you wish, but I will not change my recommendation.
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:33 AM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,159 Posts
I think we need to keep in perspective here of what we're dealing with. From newbheliusr's point of view, by the time he gets his Trex built, he's still not going to be in the "expert" category (or will he?). Nevertheless, if he finds his heli more than a "few hundred" feet away and going 50 mph, he's in BIG trouble anyway. A better RX isn't going to save it. Having a receiver that will allow him to do that would be superfluous. It's a buffer zone that he, and most of us, will never need. I don't fly helicopters anywhere as far as I fly fixed wing.
When his skill has advanced to that point, he'll move on to something even bigger and better or he'll upgrade the RX and use the old one for something else.
Right now, economics come into play. He's getting this heli via the wife's bonus and he gets paid on a weekly basis and he's having to save up for every bit and piece. Getting the "cadillac" of RXs is a "nice to have" but let's get a reality check here.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:40 AM
Registered User
lazor 22's Avatar
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
A "few hundred" is more then you think. You could not see a 450 a "few hundred" feet away they are tiny. I'm not saying using a Ar7100 is bad thing, but using a AR6110e is not a bad thing either, and alot cheaper. Like I said I used it, lots of other people use it. I don't see how anyone could say it's not good enough when more then likely over half the people that have a 450 on Spektrum/JR use it.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:51 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I think we need to keep in perspective here of what we're dealing with. From newbheliusr's point of view, by the time he gets his Trex built, he's still not going to be in the "expert" category (or will he?). Nevertheless, if he finds his heli more than a "few hundred" feet away and going 50 mph, he's in BIG trouble anyway. A better RX isn't going to save it. Having a receiver that will allow him to do that would be superfluous. It's a buffer zone that he, and most of us, will never need. I don't fly helicopters anywhere as far as I fly fixed wing.
When his skill has advanced to that point, he'll move on to something even bigger and better or he'll upgrade the RX and use the old one for something else.
Right now, economics come into play. He's getting this heli via the wife's bonus and he gets paid on a weekly basis and he's having to save up for every bit and piece. Getting the "cadillac" of RXs is a "nice to have" but let's get a reality check here.
I surely don't consider the 7100 to be the Cadillac of heli receivers. A nice rx, for sure, but not the Cadillac. Whatever.

I'd rather buy once than twice. Get the good rx now, and it can always be transferred to another heli down the road. Costs less than buying twice.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:11 AM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Here's what I ordered

1 x AGNK10338A Align Ball Link Plier
1 x TBE450LEV Trueblood T-Rex 450/V2 Swashplate Leveler
1 x AGNHZ024 Align Hexagon Screw Driver Set (1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm)
1 x SPMAR7100 Spektrum AR7100 7-Channel DSM2 Helicopter Receiver w/Tail Regulator
1 x AGNKX015076A Align T-Rex 450 Sport Super Combo w/Motor/ESC/Gyro/Servos (Black Frame - Carbon Blades)
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:14 AM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Here's what I ordered

1 x AGNK10338A Align Ball Link Plier
1 x TBE450LEV Trueblood T-Rex 450/V2 Swashplate Leveler
1 x AGNHZ024 Align Hexagon Screw Driver Set (1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm)
1 x SPMAR7100 Spektrum AR7100 7-Channel DSM2 Helicopter Receiver w/Tail Regulator
1 x AGNKX015076A Align T-Rex 450 Sport Super Combo w/Motor/ESC/Gyro/Servos (Black Frame - Carbon Blades)
Well, it's a done deal. No further point in debating which RX he should or shouldn't get.
Keep us in the loop as to how you're making out with this. If you start a new thread about your Trex adventure, put a link in this thread so we can follow along.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:26 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,425 Posts
Rex,

Post up some pics after the 'unboxing'!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Jan 07, 2010 09:36 AM
Sold SOLD Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite Lakepilot Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Nov 26, 2007 05:40 PM
Sold Used E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Apr 13, 2006 03:28 AM
For Sale 4 sale E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 06, 2006 12:09 PM
E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Product Announcements 0 Nov 17, 2005 02:42 PM