HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I wonder if I put on my C/F blades if it would make any difference in the tail. I once again redid the pads under the gyro. This time I didn't use one of the pads that came with the SR. I used this Gel tape, parma something or other. And a white foam spartan gyro pad. Seems indeed to have helped. The tail wag is a bit less. But it's hard to tell in my living room as I don't have it too high off the floor. About 2 to 3 feet. But it does seem less. I was just wondering if the C/F blades I had would make a difference too. I might just try them. How does it change how it behaves compared to stock blades?
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight time View Post
.... There under that pile of stuff over there... I think if not there check the basement and if everything else fails your wife probably used them as a hammer to hang a picture,,, ask her where she put them..
I found them you where right they were under that pile of the stuff I have been buying.. I Have been working on cleaning off my desk and putting stuff in the proper boxes and there right on the bottom where my crimpers. And they look just like to one's from Radio Shack... Now to order some plugs,, didn't someone have a place where they where a lot cheaper??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I wonder if I put on my C/F blades if it would make any difference in the tail. I once again redid the pads under the gyro. This time I didn't use one of the pads that came with the SR. I used this Gel tape, parma something or other. And a white foam spartan gyro pad. Seems indeed to have helped. The tail wag is a bit less. But it's hard to tell in my living room as I don't have it too high off the floor. About 2 to 3 feet. But it does seem less. I was just wondering if the C/F blades I had would make a difference too. I might just try them. How does it change how it behaves compared to stock blades?
Please don't hover it in the house with them on..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Please don't hover it in the house with them on..
Are they going to make it a lot more responsive? I was going to change them and give it a try, but now you've got me all kinds of scared. They are the Microheli Blade CP/CPPro blades. They look about 5mm longer than stock.
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 10, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Rex,

Are you talking about Eflite's c/f blades for the CP Pro? They're shorter & wider than the stock blades. Those are the ones I'm using. The most obvious differences in flight were a significant increase in throttle-response when in normal mode (much quicker spool-up due to the much lower mass), a moderate increase in responsiveness (smaller rotor disk & much lower mass), and better handling in higher winds. Side-effects were slightly increased flight-times, a barely-warm tail motor, and as you saw in my video - I could finally get rid of the tail-twitch.

The only downside to them is that if you have a blade-strike, you will likely find the next 'fuse'.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Rex,

Are you talking about Eflite's c/f blades for the CP Pro? They're shorter & wider than the stock blades. Those are the ones I'm using. The most obvious differences in flight were a significant increase in throttle-response when in normal mode (much quicker spool-up due to the much lower mass), a moderate increase in responsiveness (smaller rotor disk & much lower mass), and better handling in higher winds. Side-effects were slightly increased flight-times, a barely-warm tail motor, and as you saw in my video - I could finally get rid of the tail-twitch.

The only downside to them is that if you have a blade-strike, you will likely find the next 'fuse'.

Joel
It's these blades. Mine aren't black though. Fuse?

They are 250mm. Which is 5 mm longer than the stock blades.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:18 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Rex,

I have no idea how the MH blades will perform, but I can tell you that if they're longer than the stock blades, they will likely decrease headspeed and increase main rotor torque - which is the opposite of what you want - if you're trying to reduce the load on the tail & 'tame the twitch'.

Be sure to check the balance on those MH blades. I bought a set, and found one blade to be nearly 2g heavier than the other!! I didn't even bother to try balancing them. They're now gathering dust somewhere....

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Rex,

I have no idea how the MH blades will perform, but I can tell you that if they're longer than the stock blades, they will likely decrease headspeed and increase main rotor torque - which is the opposite of what you want - if you're trying to reduce the load on the tail & 'tame the twitch'.

Be sure to check the balance on those MH blades. I bought a set, and found one blade to be nearly 2g heavier than the other!! I didn't even bother to try balancing them. They're now gathering dust somewhere....

Joel
Hmm, maybe I won't even bother then. I am not real happy about that.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Rex,

Here are the ones I'm using:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLH1147C

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
623 Posts
Quote:
It depends entirely upon your expectations & goals. I have all of the MH parts, plus Eflite's c/f CPP blades & bigger packs - and I ditched the stock tx after my 5th flight. Before my second flight, I had already switched to Deans, and was flying on Outrage NRG 1300 35c 5c charge packs and Hyperion VX 1100 35c 5c charge packs.

None of the above will turn the SR into a smackdown-winning 3D machine; however the upgrades will turn the SR into a decent backyard precision flier. If you're looking for killer aerobatic performance, look elsewhere. If you want to turn it into a decent backyard sport-flier that doesn't feel like the head is mounted in marshmallows - then the upgrades are worth it.

Dumping the stock tx was the best thing I did. I immediately went from playing 'chase the heli' to actually commanding it. The swash doesn't improve performance; rather, it is a $27 insurance policy against a swash separation at high speed/altitude - which will likely 're-kit' your SR. The Eflite c/f blades increase headspeed slightly, which reduces main rotor torque. This reduces the load on the tail motor. Mine now runs just warm to the touch, even after three 10-min flights. Along with some decent gyro tape, the c/f blades allowed me to get rid of the tail-wag. No more buzzy tail on mine. Plus - I'm still on the original tail motor after 30+ hrs of flight. The full-metal head & flybar plus the higher-durometer B400 O-rings really tighten things up. No more 'marshmallow-head' feel.

Are the above upgrades cost-effective? Absolutely not. For the same money, one could buy a real TR 450 kit (not a clone) with quality parts. Of course, this argument assumes that one doesn't already own the SR.

Joel
Thanks for the insight. I do like the size of the SR. I am going to look into a new swashplate and head. I also plan on binding to my dx7 and running some 1300 packs since I have a bunch of those. Not looking for a 3d machine just a decent all around heli. Worry about the 3d stuff later.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this. Wish this thing flew better out of the box and it was offered in BNF or PNP.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Thanks for the insight. I do like the size of the SR. I am going to look into a new swashplate and head. I also plan on binding to my dx7 and running some 1300 packs since I have a bunch of those. Not looking for a 3d machine just a decent all around heli. Worry about the 3d stuff later.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this. Wish this thing flew better out of the box and it was offered in BNF or PNP.
Very glad you are going to stay around. If I can hover this thing in my living room now, when all I did was crash before. You can do it too. I know you can. The only major mod I did was drop the stock TX and bind it to my DX6i. Now I can configure it the way I want. I think you'll be happy if you bind it to a DX7. Much happier.

If you need anything, just pop in and post it. We'll all try to help.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I tried the cf blades, they are much lighter than the stock blades, and I could lift off a bit soon in stick position than the stock blades. But that's all I really seen as different.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:14 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
I tried the cf blades, they are much lighter than the stock blades, and I could lift off a bit soon in stick position than the stock blades. But that's all I really seen as different.
That's what I figured. Lighter, and a bit lower headspeed - due to the increased swept area of the rotor disk. The shorter, wider Eflite blades shift things in the opposite direction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
That's what I figured. Lighter, and a bit lower headspeed - due to the increased swept area of the rotor disk. The shorter, wider Eflite blades shift things in the opposite direction.
I'll try and get a set. But I think I am ok. I can deal with the tail wag as it's not too bad. I'll get my DDVP tail soon and that'll be done with.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I ordered a set of those blades. Might as well.