HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
When I get home, I am removing the old swashplate (the one that separated) and I am going to install a new one. I am going to order the metal one and just put it on my credit card. I have a CNC delrin main gear replacement I am going to add as well. Might as well since I am going to have the head off.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:14 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
OK, so can someone help me program this thing on a DX-7? Also, my radio is the aircraft version, if that makes any difference.
I don't think anyone can help you program that one. If you have a TX that is ONLY for airplanes (ACRO), you won't be able to use it for a CP helicopter because you need to be able to select "120 degree" swash type. Without this selection ability, you won't be able to fly the SR or any CP heli for that matter.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:36 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I don't think anyone can help you program that one. If you have a TX that is ONLY for airplanes (ACRO), you won't be able to use it for a CP helicopter because you need to be able to select "120 degree" swash type. Without this selection ability, you won't be able to fly the SR or any CP heli for that matter.
I'm sure that you can set up the DX7 for heli.. Just needs the throttle notcher removed.. The names will be airplane name on the switches but they will convert over to heli use if you pick heli as the model type..

Try makeing a heli model and check if you have a swash listed now..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:43 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,483 Posts
The big difference is that the heli version has the three position switch on the upper left of the transmitter and the aircraft has that as a two position only switch. The aircraft three position switch is where the gyro switch is. In other words, to have three mode heli (Normal, Idle 1, Idle 2), you need to assign the switch to the flap switch and then the gyro to the gear switch. Of course, you can still assign all mode, gyro, D/R, and expo to a single switch of your choice but it will take a bit of getting used to, that's all. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Well when I get home, am first going to check the pitch. And maybe rebind. First I need to make sure the servo arms are at 90 degree and then use my pitch gauge. I think.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:01 PM
Pittsburgh
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
AFAIK I think the only difference between the heli and the airplane one is the little picture on the front and then the throttle hold switch is swapped with the idle up switch.
subgradient is offline Find More Posts by subgradient
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:13 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Well when I get home, am first going to check the pitch. And maybe rebind. First I need to make sure the servo arms are at 90 degree and then use my pitch gauge. I think.
I just flew out a battery in the bedroom... I'm getting 8" hover at 2.5 hash marks past center stick.. I did try at just barely on the ground a switch to ST and other than higher motor speed there was no sign of down or up movement of heli or blades.. Speaking of blades I'm getting some head wobble.. think I'll pull them off and balance then again.. also will check main shaft if bent I'll go through everything when the new swash gets here.. Going to replace the dampers also with some T Rex ones if they fit.. Anyone else wish that the flybar was under the blades and the blades where that extra inch above the boom?
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:39 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subgradient View Post
AFAIK I think the only difference between the heli and the airplane one is the little picture on the front and then the throttle hold switch is swapped with the idle up switch.
its true
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:42 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
its true
Which I'm sure can be moved around if wanted..
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:56 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,030 Posts
if you are a visual learner to setup a DX7 heres a start from you tube
Spektrum DX7 Helicopter Setup (19 min 9 sec)

I have a dx7 airplane model setup for my SR. It works great. The Pilot.....not so much.
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
When I get home, I am removing the old swashplate (the one that separated) and I am going to install a new one. I am going to order the metal one and just put it on my credit card. I have a CNC delrin main gear replacement I am going to add as well. Might as well since I am going to have the head off.
Rex,

If you haven't done so, check for vertical play in the mainshaft. And definitely replace the swash. You don't want to have a swash separate in flight. From what I've heard, it can get pretty ugly (and expensive).

Let me know what you think of the CNC main gear. I've been thinking about getting one.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Rex,

If you haven't done so, check for vertical play in the mainshaft. And definitely replace the swash. You don't want to have a swash separate in flight. From what I've heard, it can get pretty ugly (and expensive).

Let me know what you think of the CNC main gear. I've been thinking about getting one.

Joel
I think what I have done is thru setting tracking I have changed the pitch of the blades. I have read always bring the lower blade up to the top one. But I think doing that has messed up my pitch.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:14 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I just flew out a battery in the bedroom... I'm getting 8" hover at 2.5 hash marks past center stick.. I did try at just barely on the ground a switch to ST and other than higher motor speed there was no sign of down or up movement of heli or blades.. Speaking of blades I'm getting some head wobble.. think I'll pull them off and balance then again.. also will check main shaft if bent I'll go through everything when the new swash gets here.. Going to replace the dampers also with some T Rex ones if they fit.. Anyone else wish that the flybar was under the blades and the blades where that extra inch above the boom?

Bob,

The ones from the newer TR 450 won't work, but the ones from the original TR 450 will. B400 dampers also work, but they're lower-durometer than the TR dampers. I'm using CPP dampers, which are a higher durometer than the stock parts, but not as high as the B400 dampers.

And yes - I also wish the flybar was under the mains. Not sure why they designed the CP head that way in the first place. However, the EFlite c/f CPP blades pretty much eliminate the possibility of a boom-strike - even with the stock dampers. Well...unless one lands @ -20 fps...

Joel
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:23 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
I think what I have done is thru setting tracking I have changed the pitch of the blades. I have read always bring the lower blade up to the top one. But I think doing that has messed up my pitch.
If the tracking is way off, adjusting it will change overall pitch. But I'd still swap that swash - it's such a critical component. I think about that 'pop' you heard when it suddenly changed altitude awhile back. That sounds like something a swash might do. In fact, I can't think of another component that could cause a sudden shift in collective without upsetting the cyclic trim.

Joel
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
If the tracking is way off, adjusting it will change overall pitch. But I'd still swap that swash - it's such a critical component. I think about that 'pop' you heard when it suddenly changed altitude awhile back. That sounds like something a swash might do. In fact, I can't think of another component that could cause a sudden shift in collective without upsetting the cyclic trim.

Joel
Yeah, that swash is getting replaced tonight. I have ordered a CNC swash, the blue one, as it's cute. That should be here by the end of the week. My tracking was pretty far off last night when I put the new blades on. So I brought one blade up and seems when things went crazy. But it could be the swash. I am going to change that first..........and i'll put on the Delrin main gear and let you know how that goes. Life is weird, then you try RC Heli's and it just gets weirder....... I'll figure this out if it kills me. I didn't go to bed until 8 am this morning. I need my head examined.
Last edited by newbheliusr; Feb 08, 2011 at 12:36 AM.