SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:25 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Use the search function.
It's not that easy...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
I punched "DX7 settings" into the "search this thread" and came up with only 4 pages of returns. 4 pages is way better than 335 pages. On the very first page, in the 2nd listing, up pops this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2051

Seemed pretty easy. You just have to try first.
"The good Lord helps those who help themselves."
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:33 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I punched "DX7 settings" into the "search this thread" and came up with only 4 pages of returns. 4 pages is way better than 335 pages. On the very first page, in the 2nd listing, up pops this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2051

Seemed pretty easy. You just have to try first.
"The good Lord helps those who help themselves."

Gee thanks,, and sorry I must of forgotten the "S" on the end...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Well I got my HB FP V2, and I have successfully hovered it in my living room. The battery they sent with it has a dead cell so I won't be using that. Luckily I have lots more. It is very sluggish to respond to inputs, but I was told it would be so that wasn't a surprise. I wish the wind wasn't blowing and it was raining, but it is. So I will practice with it. The proportion was way off, but I got that fixed after about 10 min. It hovers real nice and I can move it around the living room. Still trying to kind of get it dialed in. It's pretty fun. Kinda weird seeing something so big flying in my living room. My wife is getting tired of me knocking crap off the tree. Well that tree is coming down. It's in my way.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk telling that guy to search. I just thought it would be better than trying to navigate 5000 pages.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:01 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Well I got my HB FP V2, and I have successfully hovered it in my living room. The battery they sent with it has a dead cell so I won't be using that. Luckily I have lots more. It is very sluggish to respond to inputs, but I was told it would be so that wasn't a surprise. I wish the wind wasn't blowing and it was raining, but it is. So I will practice with it. The proportion was way off, but I got that fixed after about 10 min. It hovers real nice and I can move it around the living room. Still trying to kind of get it dialed in. It's pretty fun. Kinda weird seeing something so big flying in my living room. My wife is getting tired of me knocking crap off the tree. Well that tree is coming down. It's in my way.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk telling that guy to search. I just thought it would be better than trying to navigate 5000 pages.
I guess congratulations are in order. I think you've managed more success with this new heli on your first attempt than with the SR. I can just imagine the carnage that would have ensued had you tried that in your living room with the SR.
Yes, the V2 is very sluggish and in many ways, this is what makes it a better learner. It's sluggish to control but then, it's also sluggish when it comes to getting away from you.
Searching may be the only way for any poster wanting to find something in this long thread. The chances of the person who originally posted the answer being still subscribed to this thread and willing to answer again, is slim to none, so asking those people to post up again may bear little fruit. If I had posted an answer with detailed information someplace in this thread, I'd have to search for it myself. I wouldn't necessarily remember what my answer was. If I wanted to know something and I didn't have the time to search for it, why would I expect others on this forum to have the time to search for me? Well, in this case, I found it pretty quickly. It's not going to be that way every time. Telling someone to go search may be far more productive than than that person not getting an answer at all.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I guess congratulations are in order. I think you've managed more success with this new heli on your first attempt than with the SR. I can just imagine the carnage that would have ensued had you tried that in your living room with the SR.
Yes, the V2 is very sluggish and in many ways, this is what makes it a better learner. It's sluggish to control but then, it's also sluggish when it comes to getting away from you.
Searching may be the only way for any poster wanting to find something in this long thread. The chances of the person who originally posted the answer being still subscribed to this thread and willing to answer again, is slim to none, so asking those people to post up again may bear little fruit. If I had posted an answer with detailed information someplace in this thread, I'd have to search for it myself. I wouldn't necessarily remember what my answer was. If I wanted to know something and I didn't have the time to search for it, why would I expect others on this forum to have the time to search for me? Well, in this case, I found it pretty quickly. It's not going to be that way every time. Telling someone to go search may be far more productive than than that person not getting an answer at all.
XViper, thank you. It did take me a while to get the proportion on the tail right. But along with setting proportion and trim I have it pretty well dialed in. I never said I didn't hit anything, cause I did. I just didn't hit it very hard. I have learned to recognize when something bad is going to happen, and I shut it down. I am going to have to change that habit once I get on the SR, as that's not an acceptable way to take a crash. But I have managed to have it hover for several minutes. It's a nice little helicopter. I really like it. My SuperBlades XP came in today so I have a spare set of blades. I would never try to hover the SR in the living room after what I have encountered. I did do rather well last night I think. I had a rather high head speed, almost 50% and I had to hold it in position and hardly let it move. I was proud when I went to bed. And with the weather that is probably all I am going to be able to work on for the next week. But practice is what I need. I figure if I do each lesson 3 or 4 times and then move on to the next once I feel confident I did well.

I also received my Plasti-Blades. They are for the SR and are flat bottomed. So no upside down flying. Which I don't currently have to worry about. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to change the stock blades with these right now? Or should I wait? I have heard the flat bottom blades and tend to make it float.

I just can't express my gratitude to you folks. I can't even name everyone that has followed this, and I have made some mad. And for that I am sorry. But this helicopter is as big as the SR and although not as touchy, I think it will help me with flying something that large. It's definitely not a 120SR in anyway. It's more sluggish than the 120SR, but so much bigger. I noticed it has an "Advanced" swashplate setup with longer ball links for more performance. I know when I took my 120SR outside it was set on the smaller ball links as I didn't think I could control it indoors with the advanced setup. But while I was outside I had to change to the longer ball links to be able to fly it. And now I can fly it indoors with the same setup. So once I get the HB outside I am going to try the more advanced setup to see if I can gain a bit more response. But it may not. I just have to find out.

Xviper, you are one cool dude, thank you for following this and giving your advice.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I had a rather high head speed, almost 50%

I also received my Plasti-Blades. They are for the SR and are flat bottomed.
If I am understanding you correctly, you have the left knob about 1/2 way. Is that correct? So yes, your head speed at around mid-stick is getting quite high. Dialing it down might be better for learning. That's your personal preference, though.

Keep in mind that asymmetrical rotor blades (flat bottomed) will have more lift, so be careful. The first lift off may surprise you. You may need to alter the throttle and pitch curve accordingly.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, you have the left knob about 1/2 way. Is that correct? So yes, your head speed at around mid-stick is getting quite high. Dialing it down might be better for learning. That's your personal preference, though.

Keep in mind that asymmetrical rotor blades (flat bottomed) will have more lift, so be careful. The first lift off may surprise you. You may need to alter the throttle and pitch curve accordingly.
I actually have the left knob turned all the way down. I was playing with it last night and I remember your advice about leaving it all the way down. I probably misstated "high" head speed. I know I had the BSR so that it was very light on the skids and wanted to move forward and to the left and I had to hold it within the circle. I will not mess with the flat bottomed blades yet then. I am getting use to it as it is out of the box. I can mess around once I get use to how it "flies/hovers". The right knob for the gyro gain is just a hair over half as if I move it any farther toward positive the tail is too powerful, and if I turn it down I don't get hardly any tail spinning. The right knob is at about 12:02 o'clock. I like my training with the BSR, it's very beneficial to learning how that thing acts. It's starts making a strange sound as I am trying to hold it in position. I think it's the the pitch of the blades as well as the what the ailerons and elevators are cutting through the air.

Funny thing I noticed about the HB FP. It's very quiet compared to the 120SR and any of my other heli's. That is very nice. The tail can make some noise though. Good thing I have 3 extra motors for that thing on the way. I was thinking about changing out the tail motor setup to a direct drive tail. They have a kit for like 15 bucks that will change it to direct drive. What do you think? I think it would make the tail a bit more responsive. But I might talking out of my other end.

Dude, you rock by the way.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I was thinking about changing out the tail motor setup to a direct drive tail. They have a kit for like 15 bucks that will change it to direct drive. What do you think? I think it would make the tail a bit more responsive.
For now, you should leave it as is. Until you start to actually fly it around, you really don't need a more responsive tail. As long as it will hold, that's all you need right now. Doing any mods to it now may open up a whole new can of worms. Learn what you got. Mod it later.
Just an observation ................... You might save a pile of money if you reign in buying so many spare parts. You may never need them. I have 2 spare tail motors for my SR. I still haven't needed them.
If something breaks that you don't have at hand, it may only halt your flying for a couple weeks. Sometimes, a little break is a good thing. You can always fly something else while you wait.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
For now, you should leave it as is. Until you start to actually fly it around, you really don't need a more responsive tail. As long as it will hold, that's all you need right now. Doing any mods to it now may open up a whole new can of worms. Learn what you got. Mod it later.
Just an observation ................... You might save a pile of money if you reign in buying so many spare parts. You may never need them. I have 2 spare tail motors for my SR. I still haven't needed them.
If something breaks that you don't have at hand, it may only halt your flying for a couple weeks. Sometimes, a little break is a good thing. You can always fly something else while you wait.
Yeah, you may be right. I have so many spare parts. I have different boxes I bought to store parts of each heli in. But I have A LOT of spare parts. You are probably right. I need to stop. I have about 6 sets of spare blades for the BSR. People probably think I am nuts. And I am. More money than brains at times I guess.

I really appreciate your advise. I am very grateful for all your advise. I will leave the HB as is until I get more use to it, as it is different than anything I have. And it is a lot harder than the 120SR. I feel in control with the 120SR, the HB, I only feel somewhat in control. But I'll hover more tonight. I am glad it's quiet, my wife won't yell at me so much. I'll also work more with the BSR on the same things I worked on last night. I can't really progress in the lessons indoors. And I am stuck inside cause of the weather. So working more on being exact is what I am after now. Learning to fly that big HB and working on more of RADD's lessons on the BSR.

At some point, if you don't mind I would like to call and talk to you. I have free long distance. If you would prefer to call me, I would be happy to give you my cell number. If I ever bother you, just say so.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:47 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
At some point, if you don't mind I would like to call and talk to you. I have free long distance. If you would prefer to call me, I would be happy to give you my cell number. If I ever bother you, just say so.
I don't mind if you call when something dire comes up. PM me when you feel the need and I'll give you my number then. Or, we can talk via PM also.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:55 PM
Registered User
fairplane's Avatar
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
683 Posts
Fellow Canuck

Hi xviper- just noticed you are from Canada Eh- where do live? I'm in P.A. Sk
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I don't mind if you call when something dire comes up. PM me when you feel the need and I'll give you my number then. Or, we can talk via PM also.
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
Registered User
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
Hi xviper- just noticed you are from Canada Eh- where do live? I'm in P.A. Sk
Cowtown .............. Calgary. Not much flying outside these days.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:05 PM
Registered User
fairplane's Avatar
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Cowtown .............. Calgary. Not much flying outside these days.
Yeah- a little to cold here in Canada during the winter- i sure envy some of the Americans who can fly year round. On a SR note hobby zone is supposed to be coming out with a ddvp tail mod for the SR. Hope to get the twitch out of my tail!!
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hovering until my thumbs bleed
newbheliusr's Avatar
USA, WA, Mountlake Terrace
Joined Dec 2010
963 Posts
I am going to hopefully post a video of the V2 hovering in the living room tonight. If I can talk my wife into doing it. She has nice commentary. Anyway, I am going to try. I would like to run 2 more batteries through it first. I have only ran 1 battery through it, and that was just to try it. And I spent most of that trying to get it dialed in.

I was just wanting to call to BS. But if you're not into that, that's cool man. I understand. You have your own life. But if something dire does come up, I do appreciate the offer and will take you up on it. Thank you. Anyway, my wife and I are off to dinner. Then I have I'll come back and work with the HB some more and hopefully talk my wife into shooting some video.

Later man, thank you again.
newbheliusr is offline Find More Posts by newbheliusr
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Jan 07, 2010 09:36 AM
Sold SOLD Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite Lakepilot Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Nov 26, 2007 05:40 PM
Sold Used E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Apr 13, 2006 03:28 AM
For Sale 4 sale E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 06, 2006 12:09 PM
E-Flite Blade CP RTF Electric Micro Heli tallflyer Product Announcements 0 Nov 17, 2005 02:42 PM