HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:21 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Ordered the parts from HK but where do we get the brushless boom?
You can use the old boom and mount the tail motor anyway you want. I happened to have some left over broken plastic blade grip to mount the motor.

Quick google search, found these pics:
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
You can use the old boom and mount the tail motor anyway you want. I happened to have some left over broken plastic blade grip to mount the motor.

Quick google search, found these pics:
where did u get teh tail fin from?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
where did u get teh tail fin from?
These pics are from web search.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:39 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Ordered the parts from HK but where do we get the brushless boom? OK guess I can make my own motor holder.. I noticed that this motor is for 2s and the SR is 3s. Are you running it on 2 cells or 3 cells? How? Please show us how you wired it up?
From specs, you may use up to 7" prop for 2S, I use a cut down 4" prop with the stock 3S lipo, the tail motor not even warm after 5 min flying.

Here's a diagram of how I wire the tail BL esc, I only show the wiring that is not in use or needed:
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
From specs, you may use up to 7" prop for 2S, I use a cut down 4" prop with the stock 3S lipo, the tail motor not even warm after 5 min flying.

Here's a diagram of how I wire the tail BL esc, I only show the wiring that is not in use or needed:
Perfect.... Thanks.. Please keep us all posted on how it's holding up...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
I just wanted to give a quick little update regarding my SR which has the HobbyKing Flymentor stabilizer on it... I'm still flying my SR in nice FF circuits almost daily, as I have now for the last 3 months, and I still have not spent one cent in replacement parts since I added the Flymentor... My SR just does not crash simple as that... Prior to the Flymentor I was putting a minimum of $30 per month into, rotors, flybars, feathering shafts, gears, etc, but it totally stopped soon as the FM was installed...

Now I also shared a couple weeks ago that I picked up the new Blade 120SR for my grandkids to fly but I have been flying 8 flights a day now for the last 2 weeks using the stock $9 lipo's... They are the 500mAh lipos that come with her and each cell gives 7 minutes 30 second flights...

I said it before and I cannot emphasize it more now that this little 120SR is the finest flying RC product I have ever spent a dime on next to my DX7... I have never seen a tail hold so perfectly still, nor a Heli that flies this quiet... I'm amazed how quiet it is... I took my wife with me over to school tonight across the street and that 120SR does the most perfect, precise, fast forward, circuits I have ever seen, and is the easiest Heli I have ever flown bar none... She flies at 100' to 150' high and in circuits around 300' long with high speed dives, multiple FF pirouette's then returning the opposite direction... Nail the throttle and nose down and she turns into a little rocket and the moment I let off the down elevator she stops all foreword motion and just hangs there without any dropping or rising or sliding in any direction...

I told my flying buddies I could easily pull the Flymentor off the SR and mount it to my Align Trex 450 Sport which I intended to do from the beginning and then take both my Blade SR and my Esky HoneyBee FP V2 and put both of them straight in the garbage where they belong because neither of them have any purpose whatsoever anymore for having real genuine Heli flying fun compared to this super high tech Blade 120SR...

The SR and HBFPV2 had their place when their technology was the best there was but hands down it's old school now... The SR120's parts are so cheap and so strong and honestly I've had this long lost big smile every single flight with this little Princess... This is pure fun RC Heli flying at it's best and without the constant stress the SR has... I fly my Align Trex 450 the same as I fly this little 120SR and the 120SR as they advertise flies really bigger than she looks... Neither my Align Trex nor the new 120SR have stressed me like the SR did with all it's unpredictable movements and dangerous flight attitudes it was constantly sliding into before the Flymentor, and that just was not fun, and neither were all the replacement parts... The Esky HB was OK but very underpowered and unpredictable in flight... I still feel it was old and cheap technology and replacement parts were always impossible to find...

Flying Heli's should be fun as I see it and this little 120SR will convince even the most hardened skeptic once he sees it hovering so easily nose-in in front of his face... This little one has instantly become my very best friend...

Happy week everyone...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
Getting the BL tail BSR dial in a little, still stock frame and batt, installed a pair of carbon blades and no fly bar weight.

BL tail BSR 3rd flight video:

BL_BSR_3rd flight.wmv (5 min 27 sec)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
I love my 120SR, but if you flew a Quark you may change your opinion of the 120SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8 View Post
I just wanted to give a quick little update regarding my SR which has the HobbyKing Flymentor stabilizer on it... I'm still flying my SR in nice FF circuits almost daily, as I have now for the last 3 months, and I still have not spent one cent in replacement parts since I added the Flymentor... My SR just does not crash simple as that... Prior to the Flymentor I was putting a minimum of $30 per month into, rotors, flybars, feathering shafts, gears, etc, but it totally stopped soon as the FM was installed...

Now I also shared a couple weeks ago that I picked up the new Blade 120SR for my grandkids to fly but I have been flying 8 flights a day now for the last 2 weeks using the stock $9 lipo's... They are the 500mAh lipos that come with her and each cell gives 7 minutes 30 second flights...

I said it before and I cannot emphasize it more now that this little 120SR is the finest flying RC product I have ever spent a dime on next to my DX7... I have never seen a tail hold so perfectly still, nor a Heli that flies this quiet... I'm amazed how quiet it is... I took my wife with me over to school tonight across the street and that 120SR does the most perfect, precise, fast forward, circuits I have ever seen, and is the easiest Heli I have ever flown bar none... She flies at 100' to 150' high and in circuits around 300' long with high speed dives, multiple FF pirouette's then returning the opposite direction... Nail the throttle and nose down and she turns into a little rocket and the moment I let off the down elevator she stops all foreword motion and just hangs there without any dropping or rising or sliding in any direction...

I told my flying buddies I could easily pull the Flymentor off the SR and mount it to my Align Trex 450 Sport which I intended to do from the beginning and then take both my Blade SR and my Esky HoneyBee FP V2 and put both of them straight in the garbage where they belong because neither of them have any purpose whatsoever anymore for having real genuine Heli flying fun compared to this super high tech Blade 120SR...

The SR and HBFPV2 had their place when their technology was the best there was but hands down it's old school now... The SR120's parts are so cheap and so strong and honestly I've had this long lost big smile every single flight with this little Princess... This is pure fun RC Heli flying at it's best and without the constant stress the SR has... I fly my Align Trex 450 the same as I fly this little 120SR and the 120SR as they advertise flies really bigger than she looks... Neither my Align Trex nor the new 120SR have stressed me like the SR did with all it's unpredictable movements and dangerous flight attitudes it was constantly sliding into before the Flymentor, and that just was not fun, and neither were all the replacement parts... The Esky HB was OK but very underpowered and unpredictable in flight... I still feel it was old and cheap technology and replacement parts were always impossible to find...

Flying Heli's should be fun as I see it and this little 120SR will convince even the most hardened skeptic once he sees it hovering so easily nose-in in front of his face... This little one has instantly become my very best friend...

Happy week everyone...
bnick
Technica is online now Find More Posts by Technica
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:24 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Technica...

Yes the Hirobo's are cool and especially the new Quark SG CP but $750 and no 2.4 Tx... Nope that don't cut it... The little SRB was loved by many and the foam rotor engineering to save other components was brilliant according to what I've read but again it came out in 2007... How available are their replacement parts and how expensive are they...? I've read on various Quark threads that they were great in the living-room but didn't do well in a breeze...

If you have the 120SR then surely you know how well she does in the wind... The last 2 days we have had a steady 3 to 5mph breeze out of the north and I know that doesn't sound like much but I have watched how well the 120SR turns into it, penetrates through it, and how smoothly she makes her transition downwind without sinking, or ballooning, and dang if she doesn't fly very much like my Align Trex 450... My BSR and HBFPV2 are all over the place in a wind, that is without the Flymentor stabilizer on the BSR because with that crazy thing it don't know there's a wind blowing as it just digitally compensates to keep things balanced and holding on that one blade of grass, or crack in a sidewalk, that's it's locked onto...

I would put her nose down and give her about 1/2 throttle and she would just jump into the headwind quickly gaining her speed up around 15 to 20mph then as I'd turn her downwind she'd easily be flying around 25mph and again without any sinking ... I also started diving her a dozen times or so from around 100' while she was both moving into the wind and downwind and she was easily over 30mph in her dives... Flying her over and over into the wind in a fast foreword I noticed too that there was no side to side correction needed and she just tracks perfectly straight and predictable like my 3D planes... I still have never seen a tail hold so perfectly still...

The $149 for the BNF version of the 120SR is a chunk of change no doubt, considering we spent $199 on our BSR's, but it also isn't $349 as the SRB seems to be priced at...

I'm thinking maybe you should buy me one of the Quarks and let me test it, ha...

Good to chat with you...
bnick
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Hey people. I have notice that the pitch angle binds at start up. Example: It is setup to hover at mid-stick, but at start up I will give it 75-80% throttle before the swash moves and then BAM the thing shoots up like a rocket. After the initial bind, it will loosen up during flight and have normal pitch characteristics.

Is this a symptom of something? Does the main shaft need to be lubed or is my main shaft possibly bent?
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:02 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
That sounds like a bent spindle shaft.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:43 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,543 Posts
Typhoonmaster...

I agree with Keyrigger it sounds like it's bent and causing the bind especially if there is that sudden release after more throttle is fed in...

I can look back now at the many recommended ways guys advised me to set her up when I was learning... The had me set her up to hover at 50% throttle with a 7.5 degree pitch in Normal throttle mode... This also included having a 0% throttle at -1 degree pitch and 100% throttle at around 9 degrees, but she lifted better overall at 10 degrees and 100% throttle so I set her there... This was combined with a throttle curve that never exceeded 70% so she kept a low, inexpensive-to-repair, head-speed for learning my first CP hovers...

Later I was amazed how much better she hovered when my throttle curves went to 100% and my Idle-up SP2 pitches were set at -11 degrees at 0% throttle, 0 degrees pitch at 50% throttle, and a +11 degrees at 100% throttle...

Also for me adding the Trex 450 O-rings on either end of the spindle shaft really made the biggest improvement on my SR as the stock O-rings were so soft and shredded when I removed them and this had caused my rotors to have a spongy 2-1/2" low\high tip difference between rotors... I know they wanted her soft for easy flight but that was way off and caused many tail strikes on gentle landings so I quickly determined there was an O-ring problem... Sorry this has been covered by many already...

Happy flying...
bnick
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
163 Posts
bnick,

Did you replace the SR o-rings with the Trex ones, or add the Trex ones to the SR (i.e. two o-rings together)?

What is the part number for the Trex o-rings (not familiar with Trex parts)?

Thanks.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:50 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Replace the "O" rings of the SR with the ones from the older T-Rex 450 XL and SE. The new ones (SE V2, Pro, and Sport) are for a much larger spindle and will not fit properly. The number is HS1186 or AGNH1166. Both numbers are for the same item depending on where you are buying them from. Have fun.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:47 AM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8 View Post
Typhoonmaster...

I agree with Keyrigger it sounds like it's bent and causing the bind especially if there is that sudden release after more throttle is fed in...

I can look back now at the many recommended ways guys advised me to set her up when I was learning... The had me set her up to hover at 50% throttle with a 7.5 degree pitch in Normal throttle mode... This also included having a 0% throttle at -1 degree pitch and 100% throttle at around 9 degrees, but she lifted better overall at 10 degrees and 100% throttle so I set her there... This was combined with a throttle curve that never exceeded 70% so she kept a low, inexpensive-to-repair, head-speed for learning my first CP hovers...

Later I was amazed how much better she hovered when my throttle curves went to 100% and my Idle-up SP2 pitches were set at -11 degrees at 0% throttle, 0 degrees pitch at 50% throttle, and a +11 degrees at 100% throttle...

Also for me adding the Trex 450 O-rings on either end of the spindle shaft really made the biggest improvement on my SR as the stock O-rings were so soft and shredded when I removed them and this had caused my rotors to have a spongy 2-1/2" low\high tip difference between rotors... I know they wanted her soft for easy flight but that was way off and caused many tail strikes on gentle landings so I quickly determined there was an O-ring problem... Sorry this has been covered by many already...

Happy flying...
bnick

Thank you bnick and KEY
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster