HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:48 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
935 Posts
Discussion
Skis for Telemaster Electro

Hi Gang

We have a rare event in the UK, temperatures well below freezing and standing snow which is likely to stay for some time!

I'd like to fit skis to my 6ft (1.8 mtr) Telemaster.

What dimensions would you reccommend?

Happy Landings
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:29 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
The two smaller set are from here ( http://www.maidenusammp.com/ ) -- the blue gear fits the H9 Toledo Special

H9 Toledo Special T/O off Snow (0 min 14 sec)

H9 Toledo Special Full Throttle Pass (0 min 11 sec)

H9 Toledo Special Landing On Snow (0 min 21 sec)

RC J-3 CUBS FLY IN SNOW (2 min 22 sec)
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 07, 2010, 08:23 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,874 Posts
These Work Great on my Electro Telemaster. They are pretty robust too.

HTH,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:03 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
YMMV especially w/snow conditions; but I found that the middle sized set of skis were too small for my 1/4 Cub, but just right fo 1/5 Cub & Toledo Special.

That's why I got a set of the larger skis for my 1/4 Cub juts like to ones used on my flying buds 1/4 Cub -- there's are gas mine E.

This is especially true with fresh fluffy snow (even added tail wheel ski); not so with heavy wet packed snow -- ice >>> bigger still works too.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:54 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
I've been tempted to do the same, for a 60" plane.

It looks like the skis are about the same length as the wing chord, and about 1/6th as wide? How big does the curve at the front need to be?

Is there anything to hold the skis at the right angle? I'd worry about them being knocked or vibrating until the front points downwards enough to dig in on landing.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
I've been tempted to do the same, for a 60" plane.

It looks like the skis are about the same length as the wing chord, and about 1/6th as wide? How big does the curve at the front need to be?

Is there anything to hold the skis at the right angle? I'd worry about them being knocked or vibrating until the front points downwards enough to dig in on landing.
I have the Maiden skis on my Multiplex Mentor, and they work great. The skis are connected to the axle with two set screws that will prevent a change in angle when tightened properly.

I will also put in a good word about the company, the support is excellent.
SethOF is offline Find More Posts by SethOF
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:02 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,417 Posts
Maiden website from above posting: are from here ( http://www.maidenusammp.com/ ) .

A lot of good info on the site too.

This is from Dubro site:
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:57 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Monza, here's a picture of some I made yesterday and tested today. They were 12" long and 2" wide, the curve on the front was made around a 6" paint tin, bent to about 45 degrees.

I used 2mm polycarbonate, with a second layer 6" long in the middle to spread the load. The attachments were just blocks of wood that were drilled to be a tight fit on the standard axles. The weight of the plane would rotate the skis between 'tail up' and 'tail down' but they didn't move in flight.

Videos here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post14030587

RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,557 Posts
Nice! I've used skis on various IC models in the past, but never on any of the electrics I have now.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover