HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 60 10.49%
DW SKUA 28 4.90%
DW 38" kit 173 30.24%
DW 48" kit 150 26.22%
DW 55" kit 70 12.24%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.57%
Never owned one 203 35.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:54 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,023 Posts
The colied wires are anew twist, (pun intended) Looks good to me. Hope you get a chance to fly in calm, your gonna love it, starting my 48 today.
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:26 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Here is mine (thanks to RPMRPM for the tape checkers hints!). Hope to finish the gluing and power systems later this week.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Last edited by Jhondra; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:51 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Here is mine (thanks to RPMRPM for the tape checkers hints!). Hope to finish the gluing and power systems later this week.
What is the hint on the checkers? Yours look very nice, whereas I used scotch tape and spray paint and the paint bled underneath the tape, despite my trying to avoid this. Now my checkers are very sloppy (last post, one page prior).

Thanks

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is online now Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:00 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Cullen, here is a great mini-FAQ on doing the color scheme from RPMRPM with the zagi-tape.

-JM
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:09 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Cullen, here is a great mini-FAQ on doing the color scheme from RPMRPM with the zagi-tape.

-JM
Sweet, will read.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 05:56 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
360 Posts
So I had my first flights in calm weather today, virtually no wind and once I'd put a few clicks of elevator in the plane, everything went soo smoothly. My 38" Juka has unlimited vertical and can do everything I can throw at it, which isn't much, but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

My only question is, how do you guys land in the grass? I'm not using landing gear and just cut the throttle to let the plane just drop to the ground. However, on the last landing attempt, I dropped the plane w/ a bit of nose down attitude and broke the vertical fuse a bit.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:04 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Land it as if it did have wheels. Just try to slide her on in.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:32 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
So I had my first flights in calm weather today, virtually no wind and once I'd put a few clicks of elevator in the plane, everything went soo smoothly. My 38" Juka has unlimited vertical and can do everything I can throw at it, which isn't much, but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

My only question is, how do you guys land in the grass? I'm not using landing gear and just cut the throttle to let the plane just drop to the ground. However, on the last landing attempt, I dropped the plane w/ a bit of nose down attitude and broke the vertical fuse a bit.

Any suggestions?
When you come in for landing, come in level with the ground, and with a bit of airspeed. I often blip the throttle if i need to grass land, and just slide it on in. Also, having the skid on the nose helps too
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:40 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
When you come in for landing, come in level with the ground, and with a bit of airspeed. I often blip the throttle if i need to grass land, and just slide it on in. Also, having the skid on the nose helps too
Would this be a prefabbed skid or the zip tie I glued on an hour ago?

Thanks for the tips.

Cullen
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
The zip tie
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:26 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,023 Posts
Quick question, anythoughts on using a Eflight 480 920KV motor?

Woops, that would be for the 48" yak!
Last edited by mikeruth; Feb 01, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,645 Posts
Yeah, the Eflite 480 would work better on the DW 48" kits
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:14 AM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Yeah, the Eflite 480 would work better on the DW 48" kits
Awespme to hear as that is what I am going to outfit it with. Man if work would slow down a little I might get this together for the weekend.

Hate seeing things sit on the bench!

Take care all
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:24 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I have a quick question about repair procedures for a 48" juka. I managed to snag a wingtip in the grass on a low roller, and as I had used steel wing bolts, the wings did not pop off, and instead snapped the fuselage around and cracked it in half right behind the wings. It was a nice clean break, and I have since glued the tail back on, but was curious if reinforcement is needed along the break seam? I could potentially glue some carbon rods along the fuselage over the crack, but I'm not sure if it's even necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:52 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803 View Post
I have a quick question about repair procedures for a 48" juka. I managed to snag a wingtip in the grass on a low roller, and as I had used steel wing bolts, the wings did not pop off, and instead snapped the fuselage around and cracked it in half right behind the wings. It was a nice clean break, and I have since glued the tail back on, but was curious if reinforcement is needed along the break seam? I could potentially glue some carbon rods along the fuselage over the crack, but I'm not sure if it's even necessary.

Thanks in advance!
...and to add to this very good question, what is the best glue to use for this type of break? I use to use CA for all this, and found I started getting very rigid/fragile airframe over time on EPP foamies. I had heard more people using just simple SUMO glue or simple PVA?

Thanks!