HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
If you have a plane that flies true and has no bad tendencies great, but if you do have some problems that balancing won;t take care of then Mixing is the next step.
I find that on any plane that couples I will mix it out.
IE roll the plane to the left 45 degrees put in right rudder to hold altitude and if it moves to the canopy or the belly then you will need to mix it out.

As an example if it moves to the canopy then you would need some down elevator to hold a straight path. if to the belly you would be holding in some up elevator. The mix would be Rudd>ELV. So if the fist case were true, when you put in that right rudder you would get a little bit of down elevator, probleay a percent or two, but what ever it takes to get it to hold it's path.

Also on a nasty plane you might experience it wanting to continue rolling over or back up right. If so you would need a second mix RUDD>AIL moving the ailerons in the direction needed to hold the 45 degree postiton.

Another mix you might need is Throtle to Elev in down lines.

Frankly when set up right, put it into t a knife edge and all you have to do is hold rudder in never touching the other stick. (Mode2)LOL.

Hope that helps.
Very straight forward and very understandable. I do appreciate the explanation. All I have to do is receive the plane, build it and get it in the air. Then I'll start worrying.

It is very good to have this information however.

THanks

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is offline Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:42 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
I guess I should mention that i am a new DW owner here.
Bought a 48" Yak from a local hobby shop and ordered a 38" yak direct from DW with a Power package.

Looking forward to enjoying these.

I have to look back thru here but I seem to recall someone outfitting there 48 with all HK or Hobbypartz (HP)equipment. Frankly I broke the preverbial bank on these and I'm considering HP's parts to save on the expense of outfitting it.
The 38" I have everything on hand for. It's in the mail and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. time is limited but I'll do my best to post my build info as I can.

TC, Mike R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:55 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Mike,

I didn't want to use ~$100 servos for a $80 airframe (as good as it is!) just like you. I went with Corona DS-939MG servos (http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...s/DS939MG.html). I have been flying hard 3D wtih these servos and I can't complain one bit. I picked them up at the AMA Convention for $48 (for all four!)

As a note, the servo arms that come with those servos are pretty short and don't really let you get really good 3D throws. So you have 3 options: 1) Extend the control arms by making an extension from an old arm and putting it on the stock ones 2) Drill a hole lower on the wooden control arms the DW gives you (increasing throw) 3) Do a combo of both to achieve maximum 3D throws. I went with option three and am completely satisfied. And I saved near $60!!!!
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
Mike,

I didn't want to use ~$100 servos for a $80 airframe (as good as it is!) just like you. I went with Corona DS-939MG servos (http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...s/DS939MG.html). I have been flying hard 3D wtih these servos and I can't complain one bit. I picked them up at the AMA Convention for $48 (for all four!)

As a note, the servo arms that come with those servos are pretty short and don't really let you get really good 3D throws. So you have 3 options: 1) Extend the control arms by making an extension from an old arm and putting it on the stock ones 2) Drill a hole lower on the wooden control arms the DW gives you (increasing throw) 3) Do a combo of both to achieve maximum 3D throws. I went with option three and am completely satisfied. And I saved near $60!!!!
thanks for the tip and the link.
Mike R
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:39 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Guys, i have read about these and looking at your pictures, are these planes really that good? Are there a scratchbuild plans for them?
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:52 AM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue View Post
Guys, i have read about these and looking at your pictures, are these planes really that good? Are there a scratchbuild plans for them?

Are they that good, LOL? Of course that's what this thread is about, owners talking about there kits/planes.so far seems to me everyone feels they have a winner!

That's an interesting question(scratch built..) Frankly I think that the DW kits should be considered copyrighted material. It would be up to the designer to choose weather or not the plans were avaialble, for pay or free.

In my case I have chosen to purchase two of his kits, to support the company. Now if I elect to "copy" whats in the box and build another for myself, then I would at least feel better knowing I supported them in the first place. I'm not sure weather that's considerd legal or not. Oh and rest assured my copy of the plan/design would go no further than the paper it was drawn on.

There are a ton of scatch built plans on RCG. Beleive me I read a lot of them before making my choice to purchase the DW kits. Not to mention, there are a lot of kits less expensive that very well may fly as good. I say to each his own.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Yes.

and

No.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
I recently bought a 38" DW and a Yedge 550. There is no comparison really. The Yedge has a one piece wing, is all pre-hinged and beveled,carbon fiber linkage... The DW has about twice as many pieces to glue,bevel and hinge together. Just my 2cents after opening both boxes.
WHEELAZ is offline Find More Posts by WHEELAZ
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
PROPS to Mike for a great kit!

Hello again all

I received my kit Friday after work. I started the build at 12a.m. and had it together by 2a.m.! What an easy build. Hopefully I did everything correctly. One thing I messed up is, after I went to the basement this morning to paint the plane, I realized I had put my cut hinge edge of my wings up. Will this make a difference? It doesn't look bad, so I don't really care.

After painting, I put on decals and mounted the motor. Now on to electronics, which I'll get to later this evening.

My question is, Mike supplied the kit with 2 props (upon my request). One is the 10*4.7 and one is the 10*3.8 So, what is the difference? The 3.8 looks more aggressive. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Cullen
Last edited by Cullen Colapietro; Jan 30, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:44 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELAZ View Post
I recently bought a 38" DW and a Yedge 550. There is no comparison really. The Yedge has a one piece wing, is all pre-hinged and beveled,carbon fiber linkage... The DW has about twice as many pieces to glue,bevel and hinge together. Just my 2cents after opening both boxes.
So, because you actually have to do some assembly, its not as good a plane? Have you flown either/both of them yet?

Your right in the fact that there is no comparison though...one is EPP one is Depron. IMO with EPP, your starting with a lesser material (strictly flight performance view).
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:24 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
So,

Anyone new to these planes or interested, this is a post flight note on my recently built 38" Juka by DW foamies.

My total build time for a complete newbie (I've only flown RTR planes and few of them) came out to about 8 hours. This included making all my own bends in the linkage rods, which took a bit of time and figuring out where to put the servos, which I did not really research, just crossed my fingers. I also include in this build-time estimate, the time that it took to solder the ESC and various other connectors.

I truly enjoyed this build, and had the opportunity to take the plane to a local indoor venue, where I could not fly as I have yet to purchase an AMA membership. I did have the club president check out my build and fly the plane. He maidened my Juka and was very impressed. He had me tone down the throws before the flight as I was getting nearly 80 degrees of throw. He did not have to make any trim adjustment, he just suggested I program dual rates and throw some expo on the plane and I should be set.

I am stoked that this build came out so well. I am a truly happy customer and cant wait to fly the plane myself.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:49 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
So,

Anyone new to these planes or interested, this is a post flight note on my recently built 38" Juka by DW foamies.

My total build time for a complete newbie (I've only flown RTR planes and few of them) came out to about 8 hours. This included making all my own bends in the linkage rods, which took a bit of time and figuring out where to put the servos, which I did not really research, just crossed my fingers. I also include in this build-time estimate, the time that it took to solder the ESC and various other connectors.

I truly enjoyed this build, and had the opportunity to take the plane to a local indoor venue, where I could not fly as I have yet to purchase an AMA membership. I did have the club president check out my build and fly the plane. He maidened my Juka and was very impressed. He had me tone down the throws before the flight as I was getting nearly 80 degrees of throw. He did not have to make any trim adjustment, he just suggested I program dual rates and throw some expo on the plane and I should be set.

I am stoked that this build came out so well. I am a truly happy customer and cant wait to fly the plane myself.
Awesome, a thumbs up tp ya!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
So, because you actually have to do some assembly, its not as good a plane? Have you flown either/both of them yet?

Your right in the fact that there is no comparison though...one is EPP one is Depron. IMO with EPP, your starting with a lesser material (strictly flight performance view).
Your probably right. Touche'.
WHEELAZ is offline Find More Posts by WHEELAZ
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:33 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
I'm not doubting that the Yedge is a nice little plane...i'm sure its a great hovering machine and can take a beating. But DWs are fly quite precise and I have been cutting some nice patterns/lines in the sky with my 48".

It all comes down to personal preference in the end.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:39 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
Post flight inspection

O.K. All,

I maidened my first foamie today (38" DW Juka w/ 1000kv motor, 850mah 3s, 18Amp ESC and hs-55s)! It was windy (10mph w/ 15mph gusts) and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I flew two packs and the temp was around 20 degrees F. When I hand launched the for the first time, It really took a few seconds to get a grasp on how much throttle/elevator I needed to battle the wind. Once I had it all sussed out, I was able to really enjoy these two flights. It was a bit of a roller coaster ride, but flying w/ the wind against the side of the plane AND flying down wind, the plane flew quite nicely. I can't wait to get back out again with a bit less wind. To land all I had to do was cut off the throttle completely and just control my altitude as the plane crawled forward into the wind. You'll notice in the pics that my first flight landed me in a muddy baseball diamond.

If anyone has any suggestions about any of my electronics placement, please feel free to comment.

Cheers

Cullen