HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
IMO, no the 48" doesn't need it, only the carbon bracing at the AFT of the tail. It's already very stiff

To get tail twist you'd need to get a roll rate greater that of the prop on the nose!
LOL, did you see the pictures of the box above? The longitudinal cork screw on this fuse to begin with is going to get it close. Grin. Just kidding. I'm pretty sure that Mike is going to make this all right. Been very happy with his attention and support.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
I'm pretty sure that Mike is going to make this all right. Been very happy with his attention and support.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:59 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Welder's Glue Hinge

Hum, I was doing some test gluing on spare pieces while waiting for the replacement parts from Mike, and I wanted to try out the welder's glue hinge. I really like working with this glue, and the hinges are pretty flexible and strong, but I noticed that the glue definately eats the foam just a little bit. Anyone else notice this? When you are gluing thin beveled edges, even a little eating makes gaps start showing up pretty quick.

-JM
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Is the glue foam safe? If not than it will do that. The non foam safe gets hotter so it will melt the foam.
Michael
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:00 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Hum, I was doing some test gluing on spare pieces while waiting for the replacement parts from Mike, and I wanted to try out the welder's glue hinge. I really like working with this glue, and the hinges are pretty flexible and strong, but I noticed that the glue definately eats the foam just a little bit. Anyone else notice this? When you are gluing thin beveled edges, even a little eating makes gaps start showing up pretty quick.

-JM
That glue is to only be used on EPP. It most definitely eats the foam.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
163 Posts
Quote:

-JM
I did that hinge method on my Gen-X junior using UHU Por instead of welders. It works very well.
A_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by A_Pilot
Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pilot View Post
I did that hinge method on my Gen-X junior using UHU Por instead of welders. It works very well.
Thanks, guys. That answers that. As usual, glad I did a test glue on scrap parts first. Any idea of good place to get UHU (brand, etc)?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:41 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,210 Posts
Is there a Build thread anywhere on the 48" Yak?

Thanks.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:53 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,963 Posts
Not particularly the 48" Yak, however there are some 48" build threads around here..

Here's the one rpmrpm, did for his 48" Juka: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...f+build+thread
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:57 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
372 Posts
Foamie Newbie

Hello All

I am new to foamies and have a 38" Juka on the way. I have flown parkzone planes in the past (micro sukhoi and corsair) and have never worried much about expo, dual rates or mixing. I have been flying helis a bit and am familiar with my DX7. As I patiently await the package from DW Foamies, I am trying to set up my radio.

If there is anyone out there who could shine some light on the subject of programming my DX7 for my soon to arrive Juka, I would truly appreciate it.

First off, what are good dual rate values to setup for an intermediate pilot who is a bigger to foamies? What expo should I use? What mixing should I use to mitigate any bad tendencies in the Juka? I read somewhere it has some coupline ( I don't really even know what that means).
I'll be flying Mike's power package on 850mah 3s lipos and using HS-55s all around.

Again, any info would be muchly appreciated.

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is online now Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Hi Cullen,
Welcome to 3D foamies! I have a DX7 that I use on my foamies so hopefully I can be of help. First off on the dual rates it depends on what you want to do. I max out the high rates and have about 25 deg on low rates. That is only for my flying style. It is diffrent for everyone. As far as Expo I like about 35/40% on the elevator and rudder. For the alirons I like about 45%.

In a knife edge you use rudder to keep it up. Coupling is when you use rudder it tries to tuck to the gear. You can use mix for that but the Juka does not have much so I wouldent even bother about it.

Michael
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
EXPO/DR is all personal preference. I use typically 20-30% on my surfaces, and high rates I try go for max throw and always setup my linkages for max throw mechanically. My low rates (which I hardly use) are more of a 30% deflection or so.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelJH View Post
Hi Cullen,
Welcome to 3D foamies!
Thanks for the welcome, I'm excited to build this kit, it's the best part of the hobby IMO.

I have a DX7 that I use on my foamies so hopefully I can be of help. First off on the dual rates it depends on what you want to do. I max out the high rates and have about 25 deg on low rates. That is only for my flying style. It is diffrent for everyone. As far as Expo I like about 35/40% on the elevator and rudder. For the alirons I like about 45%.

Good to know I'll not be the only one on here usign a DX7. I figured someone had to be using this Tx given it's popularity. I'm sure I'll be coming back at you with more questions. For now, your comments help, except what does "25 degrees" mean? Is that 75% of available throw in low rates?
In a knife edge you use rudder to keep it up. Coupling is when you use rudder it tries to tuck to the gear. You can use mix for that but the Juka does not have much so I wouldent even bother about it.

Wouldn't using a bit of elevator mitigate this coupling? So mixing just tells the plane, hey when I use excessive rudder (like in KE flight), the controller should mix in a bit of elevator to reduce this tucking effect? I'll probably fly w/o mixing since I'm not experienced enough yet to notice the difference.

Michael
I just want to build! Thanks also to finchkid24 for the advice. Does "surfaces" refer to any moving surface or specific functions such as Elevator and Rudder?

Thanks again,

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is online now Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Yessir. Surfaces is also called control surfaces or even flying surfaces...but its just a collective term for aileron, rudder, elevator, flaps, elevon, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,210 Posts
If you have a plane that flies true and has no bad tendencies great, but if you do have some problems that balancing won;t take care of then Mixing is the next step.
I find that on any plane that couples I will mix it out.
IE roll the plane to the left 45 degrees put in right rudder to hold altitude and if it moves to the canopy or the belly then you will need to mix it out.

As an example if it moves to the canopy then you would need some down elevator to hold a straight path. if to the belly you would be holding in some up elevator. The mix would be Rudd>ELV. So if the fist case were true, when you put in that right rudder you would get a little bit of down elevator, probleay a percent or two, but what ever it takes to get it to hold it's path.

Also on a nasty plane you might experience it wanting to continue rolling over or back up right. If so you would need a second mix RUDD>AIL moving the ailerons in the direction needed to hold the 45 degree postiton.

Another mix you might need is Throtle to Elev in down lines.

Frankly when set up right, put it into t a knife edge and all you have to do is hold rudder in never touching the other stick. (Mode2)LOL.

Hope that helps.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth