HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:50 AM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Originally Posted by finchkid24

Question: According to my watt meter, my servos, when all four are in full throw, draw .6 amps. Since the ESC I have has either a 2 or 3 amp BEC in it, does that mean i'm well under my limit?
Could you please explain how you used your watt meter to measure the max servo amp draw?

Thanks,
Jim[/QUOTE]

Sure. Watts Up displays the amps being drawn, so what I did is I cornered all the sticks on high rates (keep throttle down) and saw my amps go from 0.0 to 0.6.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Thanks Finch and Xpress. The lite bulb came on as soon as I read your posts!
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:28 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Well, got my package last Friday (but was on my way out the door for the weekend). Noticed that it was split almost in half and had been bent pretty good. Opened it up, and thought maybe only a couple of the long 4" pieces had been trashed. Got back today, and had taken the whole day off work to just build this plane. As I got further into the kit contents, it was obvious that other pieces were also bent and had some pretty hard crease lines from some weight that got put on the box (probably in the center, which was what made it bend and crease). Mike left a message on my phone while I was gone, so seems like a great responsive type, just bummed the USPS treated the box so poorly (hum, I even had checked/paid for FedEx, but they shipped it USPS instead). I hate USPS for package care. Even more now. I'm even more bummed because I can't do anything on a day I already took off and have to try to figure out.

-JM
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:38 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
Well, got my package last Friday (but was on my way out the door for the weekend). Noticed that it was split almost in half and had been bent pretty good. Opened it up, and thought maybe only a couple of the long 4" pieces had been trashed. Got back today, and had taken the whole day off work to just build this plane. As I got further into the kit contents, it was obvious that other pieces were also bent and had some pretty hard crease lines from some weight that got put on the box (probably in the center, which was what made it bend and crease). Mike left a message on my phone while I was gone, so seems like a great responsive type, just bummed the USPS treated the box so poorly (hum, I even had checked/paid for FedEx, but they shipped it USPS instead). I hate USPS for package care. Even more now. I'm even more bummed because I can't do anything on a day I already took off and have to try to figure out.

-JM
You could try to remedy those creases by using a wet paper towel and a HOT covering iron

You just wet a regular paper towel, , squeeze it out, then fold in half, and place on the foam. Then, using a covering iron turned on all the way, press down on the foam and run the iron along the crease. The steam it creates will remove the creases and stuff, and ake it straight again. I've done this a few times, where I've hit hard enough to bend up the foam, out of shape, and it straightens it right out
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:47 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Anyone who has some advice...

I have some moderate to severe coupling in KE on my 48" Extra. Just wondering what I should do to get that out of there. I could try some mixing in my radio but I thought that there might be a better way?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
You could try to remedy those creases by using a wet paper towel and a HOT covering iron

You just wet a regular paper towel, , squeeze it out, then fold in half, and place on the foam. Then, using a covering iron turned on all the way, press down on the foam and run the iron along the crease. The steam it creates will remove the creases and stuff, and ake it straight again. I've done this a few times, where I've hit hard enough to bend up the foam, out of shape, and it straightens it right out
Interesting. Just got off the phone with Mike and he recommended trying the exact same thing. I gave it a shot, and it steamed and some of the crease wrinkles seemed to get better, but it doesn't seem to do much for the edges that got hard compressed/dented. Also seems like the parts stay bowed and don't straighten out.

Mike has been GREAT about it, however, and is sending out replacement parts for the ones that got bent/torqued.

Here is a picture of the box and the spare 4" parts that got really beat up.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
WOW, I've NEVER had that happen to me before with USPS. I've had it happen with UPS and FedEx though..

(last package I got from UPS had a nice big shoeprint on it, and some fresh crumpled foam...)
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
Anyone who has some advice...

I have some moderate to severe coupling in KE on my 48" Extra. Just wondering what I should do to get that out of there. I could try some mixing in my radio but I thought that there might be a better way?
Which side of the plane does it couple? Belly or canopy?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:35 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Which side of the plane does it couple? Belly or canopy?
Belly if I can remember correctly. Next time I fly I'll take note of it, but I'm almost positive it wants to pull to the belly.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Belly if I can remember correctly. Next time I fly I'll take note of it, but I'm almost positive it wants to pull to the belly.
Check your thrust alignments, and try to place the battery as close to mid fuselage as possible. Also, check and see if it couples when pushing HARD up while inverted.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread a little, but is everyone still putting the triangular brace along the body for the 48" builds? I noticed there is a plastic part that goes on the horizontal stab now that says to minimize twist. With the removeable wings, I assume you have to put the angle pieces on the top of the frame? Seems like it is going to add some weight, but I would like it to be the best/most stable and crash proof (as much as possible) as I can. What is everyone doing?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hi-jack the thread a little, but is everyone still putting the triangular brace along the body for the 48" builds? I noticed there is a plastic part that goes on the horizontal stab now that says to minimize twist. With the removeable wings, I assume you have to put the angle pieces on the top of the frame? Seems like it is going to add some weight, but I would like it to be the best/most stable and crash proof (as much as possible) as I can. What is everyone doing?
I myself didn't use any fuselage braces on mine, although it won't hurt to add something like a few pieces of 2mm carbon rod down the underside to keep the tail stiff
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
What is everyone doing?
Building per manual. I'm not sure what you mean by triangular piece...there are some motor mount braces that are triangular...have to use those. Honestly though...there is no twist or anything that I can notice on my 48".
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Building per manual. I'm not sure what you mean by triangular piece...there are some motor mount braces that are triangular...have to use those. Honestly though...there is no twist or anything that I can notice on my 48".
Yeah, the manual doesn't say anything about it, but a lot of the build threads (at least for the 55" YAK) mention using corner bracing down the length. Even Mike shows them in post #40 on this page: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=727785&page=3

Just wondering if it is necessary on the 48" or not. I would love to try to put some on with holes drilled in them for weight loss.

-JM
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
IMO, no the 48" doesn't need it, only the carbon bracing at the AFT of the tail. It's already very stiff

To get tail twist you'd need to get a roll rate greater that of the prop on the nose!