SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.48%
DW SKUA 28 4.81%
DW 38" kit 173 29.73%
DW 48" kit 154 26.46%
DW 55" kit 70 12.03%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 208 35.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:30 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnxs View Post
Just got my Juka 48" in and what a "bad boy" it looks to be. I am going with a CC45 (because I have it and love CC ESC's), HS-65MG's unless someone can suggest an alternative that is close and less money (if you know where I can get them for under $34.99 let me know) and unless someone can really steer me another way, a Scorpion SII-3014-1040. It looks like most are running the APC 12 X 6E but from the Scorp prop chart, the pitch speed is quite high. I was thinking the 13 X 4E, less amps, less pitch speed and same thrust...what am I missing here? I have had great success with the Scorp motors. Prop chart below.
I haven't had any problem with HS65HB's, which will save you about $15 on each one...
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:25 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra View Post
I haven't had any problem with HS65HB's, which will save you about $15 on each one...
You can use the HB's on the alirons but I would definantly use MG's on the tail serfaces.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Just got my Juka 48" in and what a "bad boy" it looks to be. I am going with a CC45 (because I have it and love CC ESC's), HS-65MG's unless someone can suggest an alternative that is close and less money (if you know where I can get them for under $34.99 let me know) and unless someone can really steer me another way, a Scorpion SII-3014-1040. It looks like most are running the APC 12 X 6E but from the Scorp prop chart, the pitch speed is quite high. I was thinking the 13 X 4E, less amps, less pitch speed and same thrust...what am I missing here? I have had great success with the Scorp motors. Prop chart below.

Thanks
RCNXS

http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...40%20Specs.htm
I am running a Dynamo motor on mine. I have one of them with 4 flights on it for sale if you are interested. It is the one Mike recommends.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:45 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
RCNXS

http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...40%20Specs.htm
You are gonna have a blast with that baby!, The scorpion 3014-1024 halls it around like no tomorrow and with out sucken up the pack. Experiment a bit with the props, personally like running the 11 X 3.8 SF APC but the speed props are said to work well to, I really think prop selection aside from being in the ball park for your electronics is a selection of how you like the chracteristic. Personally I don't care for props that produce a lot of torque and allow a bit faster spin up. again to each his own and hey 3 maybe 4 is all it takes to experiment with.

I'm running HS 65"s all round. Metal gear? again for me nylon gears are working fine. Want to have some more strength, go MG.

Take a little time putting it together, ask if you need help and you'll have a winner. I love my 48"s.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:20 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
FWIW, I ran my Extra 330 48" with HS65HB's all around (~28oz). and I PUNISHED that airframe
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
i rec'd my 40" extra 300 kit today. wow! this is very nice. it includes a bunch of carbon fiber supports, servo mounts, a couple more vinyl stickers then the 38" kits contain, for about the same price. if this airframe flies as well as it looks, then it's a sure winner.

mike morgan, again i apologize about the shipping mis-communication a couple days ago. it's a moot point anyway, because i will have it built tonight

i'll post up some pics when i'm done.

oh, it says to use pva glue in certain areas....is that the same as gorilla glue? i've got the white "fast set" gorilla glue that says it's foam safe..is this the stuff to use?

one more question...my kit came with 3 pieces of foam about 3.5" x 34"....obviously not part of the airframe. are these pieces included just for repairs and such?
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Last edited by istandalone; Apr 16, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The PVA glue is completely different than gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is a PU or PolyUrethane glue, PVA is white glue. The stuff Mike includes with his glue packs is a nice thick stuff of which you put over the fuselage joints after you have CA'd it all together It adds some additional strength

As for the foam strips, are the edges beveled?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
North Hollywood, CA 91606
Joined Jul 2003
562 Posts
This is what I like to hear dude, these things are for hardcore practice and risk taking. When I go back to 35% I expect to see some interesting improvements. Between flying DW foam and trex 450, my sticks should see some progress. If not I'll take a cooking class and meet a new girlfriend. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
FWIW, I ran my Extra 330 48" with HS65HB's all around (~28oz). and I PUNISHED that airframe
I'm going for a light as possible weight on my 40, might need to run epannage servos way up front, and move ailerons up too. I like the way Mike's flys so I'm getting anxious as the 38" nears 200 flights.
Goekeli is offline Find More Posts by Goekeli
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
The PVA glue is completely different than gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is a PU or PolyUrethane glue, PVA is white glue. The stuff Mike includes with his glue packs is a nice thick stuff of which you put over the fuselage joints after you have CA'd it all together It adds some additional strength

As for the foam strips, are the edges beveled?
no the foam isn't beveled at all. just looks like scrap.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:31 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
no the foam isn't beveled at all. just looks like scrap.
In all of my kits there has been no extra foam with the exception of the firewall pieces and those are small. I'm guessing you might have gotten some scrap that should have been pulled before packing. the pic's in the manual are very accurqacte as to the peices of the plane.

Accurate!!LOL unlike my spelling.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:07 AM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
hehe it's ok with me. now i've got extra foam for repairs....not that my plane will ever need repairs
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
keepin it real since 1986
slidell, louisiana
Joined Feb 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
hehe it's ok with me. now i've got extra foam for repairs....not that my plane will ever need repairs
mine came with the extra strips i asssumed it was for packing so none of the pieces bounced around while shipping, i used mine for patches here and there as well as testing glues and paints
ClydeJames86 is offline Find More Posts by ClydeJames86
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
I have a couple more questions.

I wanted to know if futaba s3114's are being used by anyone else? I have been using them since I stripped out two HiTech55's in the same airframe.

Also I wanted to hear opinions on the servo mounts, do I really need them?
Does the PVA glue really make a difference?

All the above is in reference to a 38" Yak.

Second part is I was wondering if a AXI 2203/52 would be a good motor for a 28" junior kit?
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:22 AM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,169 Posts
the 3114 will be fine, On the 38"s I think the servo mounts are fine, but they are not needed. they just make servo repair and replacement easier.

the PVA glue has a bit of a flexible property and this allows the joint some movement with out breaking the bond. Is it aboslutely required,>? NO.
I have Ca'ed my Entire airframe with the exception of the Motor mount which I expoy and have had no real ill effects. Now with that said consider that a joint is more likely to break under stress since the ca joint is brittle so to speak.
I'm not real up on AXI motors but it would hall it around just fine from the spec's I see.
FYI, I'll be testing Mike's suggested motor package this week and give you my input as soon as I have it set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES View Post
I have a couple more questions.

I wanted to know if futaba s3114's are being used by anyone else? I have been using them since I stripped out two HiTech55's in the same airframe.

Also I wanted to hear opinions on the servo mounts, do I really need them?
Does the PVA glue really make a difference?

All the above is in reference to a 38" Yak.

Second part is I was wondering if a AXI 2203/52 would be a good motor for a 28" junior kit?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:18 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
I always just CA mine. I am going to do the next one with PVA but I have just been to lazy to wait for it. Also the last couple that I have built have been in a hurry.

Which reccomended setup are you using? The gold Dynamo setup? I have used both of the setups from DW and they both work great. I think that the other one is best. I do not know what it is called. It is the silver one and is a bit bigger. (and weighs more) They both work well though.

JIMBOJONES, The Axi will work just fine. It is a little more thatn you need but it will definantly work.