SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:37 PM
keepin it real since 1986
slidell, louisiana
Joined Feb 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOJONES View Post
All DW guys and gals.
I am planning on ordering my first DW 38" or 40" plane I have never owned a DW plane.
I have a question, what kind of difference is there on the two power systems available on the website?
Does the Scorpion out perform the Dynamo to the extent that the additional cost is justified?

I am considering the 38" Gen X or the 40" Juka or Extra 300.

I have 3d experience I have had a few scratch built planes, and I have a couple balsa planes as well.
I really would like some input from you the DW experts.
What do you think should be my first DW plane?
I fly in a park as well as at a club.
i feel like this is a perfect opportunity for me to tell you that i have recently had a chance to fly with the scorpion and dynamo setup on the same plane and if i knew better before i probably would have went with the dynamo
the dynamo is slightly less powerfull but on the same token weighs a bit less so the weight makes up for the power, really all i can see is that you pay for the name and weight with scorpion. dont get me wrong i like my scorpion but if prices are something your watching your not loosing anything going dynamo except weight and few extra dollars saved in your pocket
ClydeJames86 is offline Find More Posts by ClydeJames86
Last edited by ClydeJames86; Apr 11, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
keepin it real since 1986
slidell, louisiana
Joined Feb 2009
399 Posts
as for your first plane from dw.. thats your own personal preference. You already having the 3d experiance only leaves the decesion on what plane you like and you think will fit your liking.... i went with the 48 inch juka and im in love with it. my next order will be for an extra 330 but not untill i get the ultimate bipe i have been promising myself i will finish but never get to .. my goal for the next month is to get it in the air
ClydeJames86 is offline Find More Posts by ClydeJames86
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:12 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
All DW guys and gals.
I am planning on ordering my first DW 38" or 40" plane I have never owned a DW plane.
I have a question, what kind of difference is there on the two power systems available on the website?
Does the Scorpion out perform the Dynamo to the extent that the additional cost is justified?
I can't say much about either, other than Dynamo is DW's motor brand, and Scorpion is from Innov8tive Designs, but I can say that Mike would never sell you junk. He always picks equipment that works very well, and stuff that won't burn a hole in your wallet.

Quote:

I have 3d experience I have had a few scratch built planes, and I have a couple balsa planes as well.
I'm going to suggest the 38" Yak. It's an excellent all around plane that will do anything 3D and precision. It loves to hover, and will do rolling circles all day long. Here's a video I took of mine just last week:

DW Foamies Yak 54 38" (8 min 42 sec)

I am using a Himax HC2812-1080 outrunner, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, Impulse 3 cell 1320 mah 20C lipo, APC 10x4.7SF prop, 4 Corona DS929MG Metal Geared Digital servos- all guided by a Hitec Optic 6 and a Hitec 2.4 Spectra module/Optima 7 rx

AUW ~14.5 oz, but I'm using 12g servos, and a fairly large lipo. Nontheless it still flies great, and doesn't seem to be bothered by the wind much
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:39 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,213 Posts
Jim I'm not sure about the others here, but I have 6 DW planes now and I love them all but they do have there differences.
In the 38" I would suggest the yak hands down. Why becuase it will let you fly any style you want and if you are as happy with the plane as I am then you will surely try the others.
The Juka is a bit more wild for 3D, if that's your style or what your looking for then go for it, other wise the yak will fill the bill.

As for the motors I have run both on exactly the same plane. Clyde mention that he felt the Scorpion had a more balls, Frankly I can't tell the difference in performance. I had the scorpion on and flew two rounds and then put the dynamo on...once again could not tell any differnece.
Now with that said, I would presume that the quality of the scorpion is better, but that may certainly only be in the long run of the life of the motor.

Ultimately if your on a tight budget I would get the dynamo power package. If you want higher quality products, then the scorpion motor and a Castle Creations ESC would be my choice.

Hope this helps...

Read thru this thread and the building threads and I guarantee you will have a 3d plane that you will be very happy with.

Quote:
All DW guys and gals.

mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Well, I flew today for the first time in about a month and a half. Flew the 28" and 40". Daniel and I are headed out to Israel in two weeks for a contest so I'm busy getting ready for that. Should be great!
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Wow, a few weeks is pushing it for me..
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Me too but I have been really busy and the wether has been bad. So I flew the IMAC sequence (with my 50cc) for the first time yesterday. Never flown my freestyle yet. That is pushing it as well
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelJH View Post
Me too but I have been really busy and the wether has been bad. So I flew the IMAC sequence (with my 50cc) for the first time yesterday. Never flown my freestyle yet. That is pushing it as well
is that the H9 carden yak in your avatar?
i've got one of those too, and i love it! it's got to be the best flying plane i've ever owned.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:16 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Well, kinda. That is my yak in Israel that I will fly in the contest but here I have a Extreme Flight Extra-300.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:29 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelJH View Post
Well, kinda. That is my yak in Israel that I will fly in the contest but here I have a Extreme Flight Extra-300.

Israel, eh? nice.
are you a member of Flying Giants too?
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:23 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Yes. I have the same user name there as well. I see you have changed your avtar to your yak. looks nice.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
You need an animated sig, with you torque rolling the plane and you walking around it
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
783 Posts
Tell me what to get! .I have a 370 super-tiger motor ,a 20 amp speedo ,850,1000,1300 3 cell lipo's.A good lipo charger, a good assortment of slowfly props a good hot-glue-gun,gorilla glue,foam safe ca,lots of exacto blades and knives,a good work area,a Futaba7c ,with micro GWS receiver's 2 dogs no cats.
I just want to know what DW foamy to get that's all .and say hi to Daryl for me..
And I fly outdoors when the wind will let me.AND I am still learning this dang 3d stuff.hey I haven't seen too many old guys like me doing really good 3d stuff so keep the snickers down to a minimum...

cheers jimmy.p.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
DW 38" Yak 54

-Get the DW Glue pack. It's got all of the glue and tape you'll need for a 38" kit.
-Use a sharp brand new knife when you're beveling the control surfaces.
-Don't go crazy with the glue- use what's needed, and only what's needed.
-Go over the fuselage joints with the DW PVA glue after you've CA'd them together.
-Get the DW Servo mounts if you want hassle free servo mounting (or you can wrap them with masking tape and CA directly to the foam).
-Tape the wing spar in, don't CA it. This way the wing can remain flexible (but stiff) and you can easily remove the spar when the plane is totaled.
-Mount all of your gear onto the bottom of the airframe.
-Learn how to hover land quickly, because the landing gear just adds more weight (lighter is better).
-Have fun!
Last edited by Xpress..; Apr 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:25 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
783 Posts
What servo's for the Yak?
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice