HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 60 10.49%
DW SKUA 28 4.90%
DW 38" kit 173 30.24%
DW 48" kit 150 26.22%
DW 55" kit 70 12.24%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.57%
Never owned one 203 35.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Yeah, and then all goes wrong and a catch ends up a crash
Pulled off my first catch today as well. Brought the niece out and we got photos of tail touches, and the grabs. Holy cow this plane is a blast. Seriously thinking about sizing up!
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,586 Posts
Just so I have this for the record again...you would be amazed how much fun a 38" Yak-54 is even on something humble like a Park 370!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Just so I have this for the record again...you would be amazed how much fun a 38" Yak-54 is even on something humble like a Park 370!
Not sure if this was for me, but that is what I'm flying now. What's a park 370?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
Not sure if this was for me, but that is what I'm flying now. What's a park 370?
Ohh duh..it's the motor
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Ohh duh..it's the motor
Admittedly, it's a little under-powered compared to some of the setups here. I find that without bracing and landing gear, however, that it is plenty adequate for 3D maneuvering and even some vertical performance. My Yak-54 got one because that was the motor we had on-hand when the plane was built. I feel that learning to fly with less power made me a much better pilot because I learned to fly the plane and manage momentum rather than just assuming I could shove the stick forward and burn out of every problem.

Despite the amazing amount of gluing from crashes and the fact that we built up the nose with an additional sheet of 3mm Depron on either side, the plane remains surprisingly well-balanced and behaved. I not only did a hover-catch with it a couple days ago, but I also did a perfect level inverted pass at eye level--and I hadn't flown the plane in months!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Admittedly, it's a little under-powered compared to some of the setups here. I find that without bracing and landing gear, however, that it is plenty adequate for 3D maneuvering and even some vertical performance. My Yak-54 got one because that was the motor we had on-hand when the plane was built. I feel that learning to fly with less power made me a much better pilot because I learned to fly the plane and manage momentum rather than just assuming I could shove the stick forward and burn out of every problem.

Despite the amazing amount of gluing from crashes and the fact that we built up the nose with an additional sheet of 3mm Depron on either side, the plane remains surprisingly well-balanced and behaved. I not only did a hover-catch with it a couple days ago, but I also did a perfect level inverted pass at eye level--and I hadn't flown the plane in months!
That's awesome...totally agree with you though, I don't think most pilots try to fly at stall speed. There is so much to learn in that space about the aerodynamics of an airplane. Flying slow and high alpha is some of my favorite flying as it is such a challenge to maintain. Even doing low racetracks increases the pucker factor by 2.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
114 Posts
Built and flew my 1st DW foamy, 40" Juka, and what a great feeling plane. I have a Charger Fuzion as well and the DW is better hands down. My only complaint with the 40" Juka is I was expecting more vertical power out of the motor and the motor is making a strange clicking noise during flight, not sure if this is normal. The motor is the Dynamo 2217-950 and I'm flying 3c 1250mah lipos with 10x4.7 prop. Not sure what all up weight is, but I tried to build it light. Is the vertical power on these motors lacking and is the noise it's making normal for this motor?
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:30 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
Built and flew my 1st DW foamy, 40" Juka, and what a great feeling plane. I have a Charger Fuzion as well and the DW is better hands down. My only complaint with the 40" Juka is I was expecting more vertical power out of the motor and the motor is making a strange clicking noise during flight, not sure if this is normal. The motor is the Dynamo 2217-950 and I'm flying 3c 1250mah lipos with 10x4.7 prop. Not sure what all up weight is, but I tried to build it light. Is the vertical power on these motors lacking and is the noise it's making normal for this motor?
Is it a chirp?

If it is just a small squeaky chirp I wouldn't worry a ton. Try playing with the timing.

If you are losing power check your solder connections for a cold joint. I got a motor from twisted hobbies that had a bad solder on one of the bullet connectors. After a minute the motor would get hot and would cog and lose power. After removing the bullet connections and soldering directly the power increased by about 50% and no more cogging/chirping.

Hard to say without having it in front of you but that would be my first guess.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
275 Posts
heres my the 4th foamie ive built for the AMA expo, extra 330 modified to be a 330sc with vpp and vt
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,586 Posts
Interesting that you put the servo so far back.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
We have some very talented pilots ( heli , 3D, all around) for a Renegade field.. The dirt strip is large and well groomed but summer dry weather does get it loose and sandy . So we practice good landing technique to save our wheeled friends... lol
You're welcome to fly at our field anytime or stop in and introduce yourself.
We're north of the I 10 and O NT airport between Vineyard and Archibald . Take Inland Empire East from Vineyard and you'll see the drive way and dirt road we use for access. You can see our cars from the I 10.

I got a battery for a Plano Digital Fish Scale today and my Chopped and Clipped Yak 54 with out motor, 10 A esc, and battery weighs a paultry 7 oz. So I'ld guess It weighs about 10 oz. RTF. When I reinstall the motor I'll get it on the scale
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I believe that I was right down there near where you fly while I was driving around looking for a hobby store. I was telling the guys that I fly with about your chopped and clipped Yak 54 and they thought that was an awesome idea.
Believe it or not I just saw your reply here even though I know it was posted a while ago. i would have put out a shout back out to ya a lot sooner had I seen it.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
Happy New Year to you all and your families :-)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,291 Posts
Quote:
That's awesome...totally agree with you though, I don't think most pilots try to fly at stall speed. There is so much to learn in that space about the aerodynamics of an airplane. Flying slow and high alpha is some of my favorite flying as it is such a challenge to maintain. Even doing low racetracks increases the pucker factor by 2.

Your so right about that. I find that for me flying 3D at slow stall speeds teaches me so much about flying in general and improves my pattern /scale flying with my warbirds and even flying my Radain Pro glider. Besides when I can not fly at our bigger field like today and I am flying at a much smaller local park it forces me to really work on my techninques.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Your so right about that. I find that for me flying 3D at slow stall speeds teaches me so much about flying in general and improves my pattern /scale flying with my warbirds and even flying my Radain Pro glider. Besides when I can not fly at our bigger field like today and I am flying at a much smaller local park it forces me to really work on my techninques.
Amen to that!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I found that prop was too small at my elevation. Try an 11x4.7 slow fly. I'm using the dynamo motor in my juka with 3s 1000s and the vertical is blistering.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk