HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Yes. I believe the next plane will be painted!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Just want to say how great the customer service is at DW. I sent an email to Mike last night sometime after 9pm with a question on building the 22" Juka and he responded within minutes. I've called and talked to him as well and he never seems like he's in a rush to end the conversation and is more than happy to answer any of my questions. I didn't think this kind of customer service existed anymore, but it's alive and well at DW.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
Just want to say how great the customer service is at DW. I sent an email to Mike last night sometime after 9pm with a question on building the 22" Juka and he responded within minutes. I've called and talked to him as well and he never seems like he's in a rush to end the conversation and is more than happy to answer any of my questions. I didn't think this kind of customer service existed anymore, but it's alive and well at DW.
He is one of the few in this business, that has that genuine concern for his customers and there enjoyment of the product.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
If anyone asks me where to get a foamie I will be sending them mikes way for sure. Not only is the customer service great so is the product. A+ all the way.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Mike is the best. He helped me immensely with all of my builds.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:06 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Made some test cuts on some Depron with the DW 45* cutting edge prior to beveling. This is not going as well as I'd hoped.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:26 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Tape trim re-visited.

Since the weather stinks at the moment. I took the time to rip my old packing tape job off the ol DW Extra 300. Rubbed her down with alcohol and retaped her again. This time, I took a little more time and sqeegeed the job with a credit card, bieng carefull not to have any air pockets. This time, the tape laid down as smooth as silk. Time will tell, but this time, it looks like the delamination bubbles will be much less. Yay! I love this airplane. Ready for it's second season, a few minor scars, but a lot of life left in her.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
sacramento. ca
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
The mail man dropped off a new 48" DW Extra 330sc a couple days before Thanksgiving so I took it up to Reno with me over 4 days and built it the night before and Thanksgiving day and I did the maiden that afternoon in bare white depron. This extra 330sc is cool, I've already fallen in love with how it handles and I've only had 4 windy packs flown so far. Thanks Mike for another great bird, It tracks great and rolls real fast compared to my yak55 with near same deflections. I didn't get maiden videos or pics because the camera was dead and some crazy weather set in but here are a couple build pics that I did get and then some pics after the recent sharpie work that I have done the last several nights between cleaning out my place and moving. Better pics and vid to come

MikeontheBike is offline Find More Posts by MikeontheBike
Last edited by MikeontheBike; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I'm about ready to pull the plug on the 48" Extra 330 or the Yuka but I'm curious to know what setup (motor/esc/servo) others have found success with and where did you purchase. Yes, I know the ideal setup would be the combo offered. And if I can't afford it right now, save up, yeah, yeah. But I'm sure some of you have found success with other setups and I'd like to take a look see. Also if that alternate setup was a good move a mistake.

I currently have some Solar D654's laying around. Would these fit the bill all the way around?

Any help would be great.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Is there a 48" Edge or Juka thread or even just a thread for the 48" line-up? I'm trying to catch up (I'm only on page 63) so can learn as much as I can before I purchase, but my main interest is in the 48" line.
Late reply, but in case others have same question. The 48" series build thread I did years ago on a Juka is still the most detailed I've seen & works for the hole 48" line up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957678
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Since the weather stinks at the moment. I took the time to rip my old packing tape job off the ol DW Extra 300. Rubbed her down with alcohol and retaped her again. This time, I took a little more time and sqeegeed the job with a credit card, bieng carefull not to have any air pockets. This time, the tape laid down as smooth as silk. Time will tell, but this time, it looks like the delamination bubbles will be much less. Yay! I love this airplane. Ready for it's second season, a few minor scars, but a lot of life left in her.

From your pictures it looks like you may have gotten CA Kicker close to your Colored Packing Tape trim strips. It has a weird wrinkling effect on the tape that is close to what I can make out in your pictures.
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
finally got a video of the revo!!! im loving this thing!!

DW foamies 38 inch Revo biplane (3 min 46 sec)
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I'm about ready to pull the plug on the 48" Extra 330 or the Yuka but I'm curious to know what setup (motor/esc/servo) others have found success with and where did you purchase. Yes, I know the ideal setup would be the combo offered. And if I can't afford it right now, save up, yeah, yeah. But I'm sure some of you have found success with other setups and I'd like to take a look see. Also if that alternate setup was a good move a mistake.

I currently have some Solar D654's laying around. Would these fit the bill all the way around?

Any help would be great.
I've had really good luck with the neo 10 from cermark,its a 2:1 power ratio on a 3s and on a 4s is just insane!!! as for servos ive only tries HS-65 mg and HS-81 mg and ive had great results.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:23 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
DW Depron / Twisted Hobbies EPP

Name: DW.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 96.0 KB
Description:

I have been flying my DW Extra for about 1 1/2 years learning IMAC and some clumsy 3D at present. Been through 1 fuse and a few easy crack repairs (tore off landing gear at fuse, but managed to splice in a new hunk of foam). Did a lousy job with my first packing tape job, ripped it all off a while back and re-taped it. Looks pretty good now with new tape and ready for another year of play.

As I don't like to tear my DW up learning 3D, I went out and bought a Twisted Hobbies "Crack Yak" early last summer and I have to admit, it is a great flyer. Absolutely bullit proof, (Broke an elevator control rod and went in nose first from about 100 ft up), and only a minor fuse crack that repaired with no visible damage. I can also fly it in a smaller field and it has been a blast as a throw in the trunk, take anywhere flyer. It is a winner in my book as well!

Both companies are first rate. Both give excellent service, both strive to build the highest quality models and both are extremely easy to communicate with!

However, I have to admit that the extra durability of the EPP is a great advantage to a new flyer just learning acrobatics. There is one problem that EPP has that is not noticable with DW Depron ships when it comes to structural movement in a variety of weather/tempurature changes. With the Crack Yak, I always have to retrim the model most of the time because the fuselage litterly changes length from one tempurature to another.

Another point is ease of repair with Depron. Althogh EPP can take a lot of punishment, If serious damage does accure, it is not near as easy to repair as the more rigid Depron.

I think that the new DW (Rehab) is a great idea as a little tongue and cheek friendly competition only improves the breed and can only benifit the end user.

As far as performance, I think the Twisted Hobbies EPP is about as good as it gets to performance. But it still is not up to a DW Depron ship in response and overall speed.

I think that there is either a Revo or an OnAxis in my future!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Attachment 5360287

I have been flying my DW Extra for about 1 1/2 years learning IMAC and some clumsy 3D at present. Been through 1 fuse and a few easy crack repairs (tore off landing gear at fuse, but managed to splice in a new hunk of foam). Did a lousy job with my first packing tape job, ripped it all off a while back and re-taped it. Looks pretty good now with new tape and ready for another year of play.

As I don't like to tear my DW up learning 3D, I went out and bought a Twisted Hobbies "Crack Yak" early last summer and I have to admit, it is a great flyer. Absolutely bullit proof, (Broke an elevator control rod and went in nose first from about 100 ft up), and only a minor fuse crack that repaired with no visible damage. I can also fly it in a smaller field and it has been a blast as a throw in the trunk, take anywhere flyer. It is a winner in my book as well!

Both companies are first rate. Both give excellent service, both strive to build the highest quality models and both are extremely easy to communicate with!

However, I have to admit that the extra durability of the EPP is a great advantage to a new flyer just learning acrobatics. There is one problem that EPP has that is not noticable with DW Depron ships when it comes to structural movement in a variety of weather/tempurature changes. With the Crack Yak, I always have to retrim the model most of the time because the fuselage litterly changes length from one tempurature to another.

Another point is ease of repair with Depron. Althogh EPP can take a lot of punishment, If serious damage does accure, it is not near as easy to repair as the more rigid Depron.

I think that the new DW (Rehab) is a great idea as a little tongue and cheek friendly competition only improves the breed and can only benifit the end user.

As far as performance, I think the Twisted Hobbies EPP is about as good as it gets to performance. But it still is not up to a DW Depron ship in response and overall speed.

I think that there is either a Revo or an OnAxis in my future!
check out the new DW EPP plane,very crash resistant

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1776577