HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i have a Yak 54 40" Wing Span from Dwfoamy, and i need help. my 1st True Build and this is brand new in box. Is there build videos for this particular foamy? or a photo step by step build? i have the Manual and i'm going to attempt to do this but just need the additional help..i may end up glueing the wrong thing 1st...lol....it's soo complicated....
what do you need help with? Ask questions here.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Im not even sure yet.....i may just have my friend at a local flying field build it for me...im sure i could do it if i took my time but there is a guy who does this all the time so im like for $40 i rather just give it to him....i will post photos once its up and hopefully a video...im just chicken when it comes to building...lol
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Is there a 48'' thread?

Is there a 48" Edge or Juka thread or even just a thread for the 48" line-up? I'm trying to catch up (I'm only on page 63) so can learn as much as I can before I purchase, but my main interest is in the 48" line.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:15 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Im not even sure yet.....i may just have my friend at a local flying field build it for me...im sure i could do it if i took my time but there is a guy who does this all the time so im like for $40 i rather just give it to him....i will post photos once its up and hopefully a video...im just chicken when it comes to building...lol
don't be intimidated by the build. These go together really quickly. The only area you need to be careful on is the beveling. But if you take your time, it's not hard at all. I would save the 40 dollars and buy more batteries or another DW kit! Also, if you build one of these, you'll better understand the nuances and can also set it up for your flight preferences.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Is there a 48" Edge or Juka thread or even just a thread for the 48" line-up? I'm trying to catch up (I'm only on page 63) so can learn as much as I can before I purchase, but my main interest is in the 48" line.
there might be, but this is the main thread for DWs that most seem to use, including for 48ers
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:08 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
don't be intimidated by the build. These go together really quickly. The only area you need to be careful on is the beveling. But if you take your time, it's not hard at all. I would save the 40 dollars and buy more batteries or another DW kit! Also, if you build one of these, you'll better understand the nuances and can also set it up for your flight preferences.
ok ok,,,i may just give this a try....mike has already did the beveling for me on the Ailerons so that's a relief. i'm going to glue the easy parts according to the manual that i know i can do...then when i come to a part that i dont understand i will post photos and manual page...i'm really going to rely on you guys to help me. Let's see if this can be done..i may even do a build video.....lol....
ok i will start this weekend and i will post results..i need to go to hobby shop and get foam CA glue...should i get a thin or the medium...and how many bottles do you think i need....i really didnt want to mess with 5 min apoxy...i found this glue i have used on all my foamies. I used it for all repairs...so i imagine this would be good for the build? or should i just stick to the simple CA foam safe....Also what type of Tape do i need...just regular clear packing tape or do i need a special take...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
ok ok,,,i may just give this a try....mike has already did the beveling for me on the Ailerons so that's a relief. i'm going to glue the easy parts according to the manual that i know i can do...then when i come to a part that i dont understand i will post photos and manual page...i'm really going to rely on you guys to help me. Let's see if this can be done..i may even do a build video.....lol....
ok i will start this weekend and i will post results..i need to go to hobby shop and get foam CA glue...should i get a thin or the medium...and how many bottles do you think i need....i really didnt want to mess with 5 min apoxy...i found this glue i have used on all my foamies. I used it for all repairs...so i imagine this would be good for the build? or should i just stick to the simple CA foam safe....Also what type of Tape do i need...just regular clear packing tape or do i need a special take...
get one bottle of medium (Foam Safe!) CA. I use the gold labeled stuff available at any hobbyshop. Get a bottle of kicker too. I only used 5 min epoxy on the firewall. You'll also want one roll of 3M blenderm tape for hinging the ailerons, rudder and elevador. Hobbyshops call it "hinge tape".

If Mike beveled it for you, then you're already half way done. Put a sheet of wax paper below the foam and your work bench so the CA doesn't stick to it. These are a fun build.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:16 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Packing tape lifting

I just HATE an ugly plane! My DW is about 1 1/2 yrs old. Plan to peel off old tape. Any Ideas as to prep and retaping so this doesnt happen again? Or, is this just par for the coarse on this type of tape. (Tape bought at local hobby shop).

Name: DW 003.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 56.6 KB
Description:

Name: DW 004.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 59.8 KB
Description:

Name: DW 007.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 85.6 KB
Description:

Name: DW 008.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 73.7 KB
Description:
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
had some fun today :-)
Manny and I flying DWF planes (5 min 39 sec)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
just found this vid from the rcx! we all had a lot of fun even with the wind and unpredictable drafts (just look at the landing lol).

DW foamies noon time demo at the RCX 2012!! (3 min 41 sec)
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrc View Post
sweet vid!!
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Mike and I rocking our DWF 48" planes (4 min 57 sec)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095 View Post
sweet vid!!
Thanks bud!! Ya flying ROCKS and maybe some of it will rub off on me :-) !!!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Heads up, I just noticed 15% off all DW Foamies kits for Black Friday through Monday 26th. I think I'll get a 40" kit for myself and junior kits for stocking stuffers.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@Chris Arena

Maybe use paint instead of tape...
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe