HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:52 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf081 View Post
Xpress its your opinion and i respect that. I own 3 hk450 and one Hk500Gt and a lot of people at field told only about "big brand names". I build all my heli and planes with other cheap name and i have no more trouble or glitching then them so ... sorry but i dont buy brand name in servo, motor, and speed controller. Theres always a damn good product less expensive doing same or better often.
Sorry, but there isn't a substitute for the HS65HB, not in torque, gear type, speed, or weight, and most importantly, centering. Not found anything that compares to it. Everything else falls short.

Budget flying is fine with me, but for something as big as the DW 48" kits, you're not going to skimp on the most important thing on the plane, now are you? I WAS using a Cirrus MG servo that had similar torque ratings to the HS65HB, but it wound up frying itself only 30 flights into its use. My HS65HB's don't even break a sweat torquing those huge surfaces around, and have no signs of wear, or slop generated in the karbonite gears.

I was just able to land it, because the rudder locked up in the full position, and I'm NEVER using anything else but HS65HB's on a 48". It's too big and expensive of a plane to trust to something cheap
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Hey guys I am not talking any crap but if you guys like DW then definately try a Charger RC they come with graphics so you don't have to paint them. The owner is an awesome guy who will help you with anything and takes pride in the product with a large number of planes to choose from, the prices are killer, and the planes fly great. Give them a shot and I am sure you will be very impressed.
foamyguy is offline Find More Posts by foamyguy
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:12 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyguy View Post
Hey guys I am not talking any crap but if you guys like DW then definately try a Charger RC they come with graphics so you don't have to paint them. The owner is an awesome guy who will help you with anything and takes pride in the product with a large number of planes to choose from, the prices are killer, and the planes fly great. Give them a shot and I am sure you will be very impressed.
No disrespect intended...but the planes just aren't as good. Simple. My FBs went from Charger to DW...and have never thought about going back. Plus, DW offers a bigger variety of sizes and models (all of which are scale ).
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:49 PM View Post
foamyguy
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
New Braunfels Tx
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
I have the 38 inch Edge and I have been having problems with it. Seems to go into a KE when turning but will not continue the turn easily even with a lot of elevator. The plane stays in the KE. Handles much different than any other foamy or 3D Hobby Shop Model that I have owned or flown. I have flown the Yak 38 and it does not have that tendency. Other people I fly with have also noted the peculiarity in my Edge. Seems to have a mind of its own in a turn. I have tried many different throw and expo settings. The model is effected by torque more than my other models balsa, foamy with or without airfoil. Any suggestions?
I am using the Scorpion 2215-18. What am I doing wrong? The Edge seems to 3D just fine.
abarth is offline Find More Posts by abarth
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:06 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
You know I could say the same thing I have heard from multiple people that they have owned DW's and went to Charger never to return. And while Charger may not have multiple sizes that does not concern me as I prefer the smaller foamies for transportation. But hey I appreciate your opinion I wish I would have heard it in your other post.
The wings easily detach via a thumb screw system on the 48" and 55" models. I can wing up or wing down in under 1 minute. Also, DW allows you to have a 3 position adjustable wing...so you really can tune the plane to your liking, being able to move the wing a full inch or so forward or backward. Makes for THE MOST versatile platform.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
You know I could say the same thing I have heard from multiple people that they have owned DW's and went to Charger never to return. And while Charger may not have multiple sizes that does not concern me as I prefer the smaller foamies for transportation. But hey I appreciate your opinion I wish I would have heard it in your other post.
Charger RC is at the bottom of my list. That's not just because they only offer a couple different sized planes. It's because the DW planes have a lot more work put into them, and it's hard to make them fly badly (unlike charger..). I've set a couple up overweight, and even so, they still flew extremely well, and didn't seem to have any bad habbits. The charger rc planes are weight sensitive, and they have LOTS of wing rock in them. Just watching some of them fly you can see it. All of my DW ships haven't had wing rock in them, and fly straight as an arrow, having pretty much no coupling on Knife Edge. If there is, a simple change in battery location removes it completely.

BTW, if you look at the 48" and 55" kits, you will find removable wings, that will allow the plane to easily fit inside a small vehicle, even inside a small toyota pickup with driver. You didn't do your research, did you

If you prefer Charger RC, then that's fine with me, although I do think you'll find DW to fly better. Oh, and I've not heard of people going to charger after flying DW. Everyone seems to like DW a lot better, and after having flown their planes for over 2 years, i'm still siding with DW
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:14 PM View Post
foamyguy
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Oh, and a note about the graphics:

I prefer kits without graphics, simply because I like to make the plane look how I want, and NOT fit in like the crowds who use the graphics. I like to paint my own, or sharpie them on for a more custom look. A customized plane looks better in the air than one that uses the same exact decals everyone else uses.

They're nice for quick decoration, however I still color my own. I did use them at one point, but sharpie-ing your plane saves weight
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Good for you glad you made a decision just thouht I'd give my opinion. And I did do my research that plane is just to big to fit in my little car even with removable wings but thanks for the info anyway. I see everyone here has it up for DW which makes sense as it is a place for DW fans. Have fun flying your DW's I will stick with what I have.
Holy cow, what small car do you have where it won't fit in?! You could even fit a 48" BAF into one of those ultra small smart cars. Compact sedans and such shouldn't even have a problem fitting a 48" kit in.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:32 PM View Post
foamyguy
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Fitting a 36" plane with wings on is much more difficult then fitting in a flat piece of 48" depron (the fuse of the BAF series).

You could easily fit a BAF fuselage in the front seat...unless its the sidecar of a motorcycle.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
73 Posts
Hi Wolf;
What servos do you use?
jwilder1 is offline Find More Posts by jwilder1
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Hmm maybe I looked at it the wrong way then apologies It seemed all together to big to fit in my car.
foamyguy is offline Find More Posts by foamyguy
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24 View Post
I plan on doing a 'mini review' after more flights of on my Corona servos. We'll see how they hold up.

Question: According to my watt meter, my servos, when all four are in full throw, draw .6 amps. Since the ESC I have has either a 2 or 3 amp BEC in it, does that mean i'm well under my limit?
Yep, you're well within the ESc's BEC limits if it's rated for 2-3 amps, and you're only drawing 0.6 amps