HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
The builds are just a little bit different than on a 40 or 48.
But this thing is ultra cool. I can really tell how light it's going to be.

So you didn't use the carbon wing tip struts on the bottom side?
I used struts on the bottom of the wing,I ment the ailerons outer counter balance
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
First DW Foamie 40" YAK

I picked up the Yak on the way home from the Post Office yesterday. Finished the build today and just got done with the maiden flight. I didn't crash it even though the trims and CG were off a bit.
I'm using a DX8 with 25% throws and 40 on the expo. I thought this a safe place to start for someone with absolutely no 3D plane experience. I think I guessed right as I didn't crash and burn like I do on most maidens.
I do have a few questions though.
Where should the CG be? It's not it the booklet that came with the kit or on DWF's web page.
Right now my throws are at 25% and 40 for expo for low rates . It flies like a Park Flier this way.I want to learn to do some 3D, hover, hariers, knife edges, ect. What would be some good setting for a 3D beginner with this plane ?
I also have 50%/40 and 75%/60 set on the F mode switch. Is it better to use the F mode switch or individual D/R expo switches for the control surfaces?
What about mixing? I haven't a clue about it. Will it help or hinder a newbee?
TIA for any input.
Paul
paul45120 is online now Find More Posts by paul45120
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
ooops

Well dummy me being in a hurry to get the maiden in before dark didn't read the last page of the book. I only looked at the pix. There it is in black and white.
Thanks mike.
paul45120 is online now Find More Posts by paul45120
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnxs View Post
Just picked up slightly used Gen-X 55", anyone know where the cg is?

Thanks
rcnxs
Now your talkin my language rcnxs...BAF 55" all the way....Had mine for about a year now and still loving every inch of it.
Does DW Foamies make another brand of a 55" besides the Baf Genx?
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
yes, Mike's got a few offerings in the 55" size in addition to the gen-x. A Juka and a couple of Yaks.

http://dwfoamies.com/index.php?optio...=78&Itemid=853

I'm really intrigued by the Gen-x. I will own one some day. Probably by my next 40" when my current 40 Juka departs.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Started putting together last night my Revo bipe. This is an awesome kit. Yes costs a little more but includes spinner, gear, and lots of vinyl graphics.

I like the 38" size of this plane, good presence but still easy to toss in the back seat.

I'll be flying her tonight and give a flight report.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Does it come with the flames?

Looks great.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,147 Posts
So, DW folks, some advice please.
48" Extra 330SC from Mike a couple weeks ago...
Built the fuse
Gave plane to buddy for paint
Put together painted plane
Realized after everything is on the plane that the painted (wrong side) side of the wings tricked me into building the wing upside down so that the blenderm hinge is on the bottom side of the wing and the bevels are on top.
Blenderm hinged and HS65MG servos act like their way underpowered and got blowback on maiden. What should have been rifle rollers looked like the longest, slowest slow roll you ever saw. Servos will pull but not push very well and these are new servos.
Question: flip wings and switch the servos to the bottom of the wing once it's flipped, rehinge and deal with the cool graphics being on the bottom after the change in the hope it flies better, OR, go buy some HS85MGs and hope it rocks with more torque?

Strange situation because never had servo power issue on aothr DW 48s that we had running HS65s.

Puzzled... but, built the plane slightly wrong. Doesn't seem like the hinge on the bottom would be a "deal-breaker" but not sure if it could be overcome with more power. Flipping the wing to right-side up might be the only "real" way to go...

Thoughts?
ROLLING CIRCLE is online now Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Started putting together last night my Revo bipe. This is an awesome kit. Yes costs a little more but includes spinner, gear, and lots of vinyl graphics.

I like the 38" size of this plane, good presence but still easy to toss in the back seat.

I'll be flying her tonight and give a flight report.
That looks super cool!!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:15 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
So, DW folks, some advice please.
48" Extra 330SC from Mike a couple weeks ago...
Built the fuse
Gave plane to buddy for paint
Put together painted plane
Realized after everything is on the plane that the painted (wrong side) side of the wings tricked me into building the wing upside down so that the blenderm hinge is on the bottom side of the wing and the bevels are on top.
Blenderm hinged and HS65MG servos act like their way underpowered and got blowback on maiden. What should have been rifle rollers looked like the longest, slowest slow roll you ever saw. Servos will pull but not push very well and these are new servos.
Question: flip wings and switch the servos to the bottom of the wing once it's flipped, rehinge and deal with the cool graphics being on the bottom after the change in the hope it flies better, OR, go buy some HS85MGs and hope it rocks with more torque?

Strange situation because never had servo power issue on aothr DW 48s that we had running HS65s.

Puzzled... but, built the plane slightly wrong. Doesn't seem like the hinge on the bottom would be a "deal-breaker" but not sure if it could be overcome with more power. Flipping the wing to right-side up might be the only "real" way to go...

Thoughts?
do you have those long horns on the ailerons like on the elev. ?
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
DJ, the Revo comes with the pictured vinyl package, flames and all.

Rolling Circle, I don't think the bevel direction should matter. I too noticed the super long arm on your elevator, not sure if you are getting optimal leverage?
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,672 Posts
Visiting my in-laws this weekend, and that means time with my two DW's: a 40" Su-31 and my old 38" Yak-54. The '54 is on a Park 370 and still hovers on a 10x4.7! That Yak-54 was completely rebuilt up to the canopy and still flies wonderfully.

I flew the Yak-54 without landing gear for the first time today in 10mph winds...I should've removed it a long time ago! I also need to triangulate the tail a little...poor thing is fluttering like crazy. The Sukhoi (inherited from one of my father-in-law's friends) is more properly braced.

Both are a little more pitch-sensitive than I'd like, making inverted flight a little difficult. I didn't realize until today that I'd been flying my '54 with only 20% expo!

DSC_6038 by bryanewyatt, on Flickr

DSC_6035 by bryanewyatt, on Flickr

DSC_6034 by bryanewyatt, on Flickr
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:03 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095 View Post
do you have those long horns on the ailerons like on the elev. ?

Rolling Circle, I don't think the bevel direction should matter. I too noticed the super long arm on your elevator, not sure if you are getting optimal leverage?
Yes, on maiden we had those extra long home made horns on the Ailerons and just switched to the normal horn that the HS65MGs come with. It seemed better but not sure if it's gonna rock the rollers. With the blenderm is on the bottom, the hinge flops down when the plane is right side up on gear. When we have had other DWs and the blenderm is on top of the wing it seems to act to hold the aileron closer to trim with the fuse with no power on the plane. Anyway, we are going to do another blenderm hinge today and use two or three pieces to stiffen it up. Tried a few CA hinges but didn't like that. It felt too stiff and no throw going on as well so trashed that idea.
ROLLING CIRCLE is online now Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:35 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Flying over the lack tonight I lost orientation and in the drink it went. Well its foam so it floats and off to the garage foe the kayak. On my way back down I noticed all the surfaces were deflected and the boss says

It started smoking a little bit!

So I paddle out and the esc caught on fire. I got the lipo disconnected but the depron is pretty burnt. My hands stink like formaldehyde and I candy get it off. Washed then countless times but they still break.

Oh I'm gonna get this up in the air again. Till it completely melts down or is shredded
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
bad day with my 48" yak 54. Trying stupid low rollers and in she went. Damage to foam only at the nose. Everything else on the airframe was fine to my surprise. I did bend the prop shaft on the motor however. Got another one coming. Gotta love fixes that require only simple CA and a $3.50 part. I think i'm going to try to fly this without the landing gear next time.

I'm starting to jones for a Gen-X.....