HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.55%
DW SKUA 28 4.84%
DW 38" kit 173 29.93%
DW 48" kit 153 26.47%
DW 55" kit 70 12.11%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.56%
Never owned one 205 35.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 578. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Hi I've been practicing doing a rolling circle on the juka junior and was wondering when turning are u mainly supposed to use the rudder to turn are aileron and elevator. Or is it a mixture of both?
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
i am still learning rollers, but for me it starts with an early rudder input in the opposite direction of the roll to get the plane turning opposite of the roll direction. I also seem to have to go a little light on the elevator when inverted.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i am still learning rollers, but for me it starts with an early rudder input in the opposite direction of the roll to get the plane turning opposite of the roll direction. I also seem to have to go a little light on the elevator when inverted.
It's always aileron, then opposite rudder as the plane goes towards knife-edge, with occasional down elevator when it goes inverted. Depending on COG and forward speed, I don't need elevator.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Oct 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
I meant the DW fusion 40" models. I had the Yak 55 DW fusion once upon a time, but the servos were crap and i constantly was fighting the roll.
Oh I see.
Idoitall is offline Find More Posts by Idoitall
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
Hi I've been practicing doing a rolling circle on the juka junior and was wondering when turning are u mainly supposed to use the rudder to turn are aileron and elevator. Or is it a mixture of both?
to go straight i use more rudder because that's when the plane has less lift,i still use elev. but less impute.You can get away with just rudder but it looks cleaner with both.now for the turns that's when i start using more elev. and change the speed of the rudder(depending on the roll direction you have to slow down or speed up how fast you use impute).ether way you want to practice it i recommend you use rudder to keep the roll looking as clean as possible,might take a little longer to get the timing down but its definitely worth it at the end.
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
after my original 40 juka got into a fight with a chain link fence (may she rest in peace), I built the 40" backup. Using all DW components (motor, esc) and HS-65MGs.

This is my first attempt at really thinking about a paint scheme and i still didn't get it completely right. I'm still learning though and it will do.. Next time i won't have that white space behind the canopy.

This is my 3rd 40" DW. I have a 48" yak 54 too, but there's something special about the 40"s. I can't quite say what it is though. Maybe its the combination of the perfect size to quickly throw in the car and run to the park for a lunch time flight.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
after my original 40 juka got into a fight with a chain link fence (may she rest in peace), I built the 40" backup. Using all DW components (motor, esc) and HS-65MGs.

This is my first attempt at really thinking about a paint scheme and i still didn't get it completely right. I'm still learning though and it will do.. Next time i won't have that white space behind the canopy.

This is my 3rd 40" DW. I have a 48" yak 54 too, but there's something special about the 40"s. I can't quite say what it is though. Maybe its the combination of the perfect size to quickly throw in the car and run to the park for a lunch time flight.
Looks good! I added a bunch of weight to mine with my paint job. I can't take credit for the idea of painting a "reflection" on the canopy. I got that idea from someone else. But I just say it was my idea to most people!
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
I miss my 48' Juka SOO SO OO SO SO SO OS O MUUUCCCCHHHHH :-( ....
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095 View Post
to go straight i use more rudder because that's when the plane has less lift,i still use elev. but less impute.You can get away with just rudder but it looks cleaner with both.now for the turns that's when i start using more elev. and change the speed of the rudder(depending on the roll direction you have to slow down or speed up how fast you use impute).ether way you want to practice it i recommend you use rudder to keep the roll looking as clean as possible,might take a little longer to get the timing down but its definitely worth it at the end.
nice advice bud ;-)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
Looks good! I added a bunch of weight to mine with my paint job. I can't take credit for the idea of painting a "reflection" on the canopy. I got that idea from someone else. But I just say it was my idea to most people!
looks great. I really need to learn to paint.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Hi again i was practicing rollers with the juka jr in the front yard and I am getting better, but in the middle of the flight the plane was completely unresponsive and the throttle stayed at half throttle which I was doing at the time when it lost control. All the servos were not moving and the plane went half throttle into the pavement! I'm using a very reliable spektrum ar6210 dsmx receiver and the dwfoamies motor combo with HK hxt500 servos. Freshly charged battery. Plane is pretty much totaled.

Does anybody have any idea what happened?
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Hi again i was practicing rollers with the juka jr in the front yard and I am getting better, but in the middle of the flight the plane was completely unresponsive and the throttle stayed at half throttle which I was doing at the time when it lost control. All the servos were not moving and the plane went half throttle into the pavement! I'm using a very reliable spektrum ar6210 dsmx receiver and the dwfoamies motor combo with HK hxt500 servos. Freshly charged battery. Plane is pretty much totaled.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Are you SURE the throttle was "stuck" at half when it crashed? Also, when you got to the wreckage, did you have control again or was all control still lost with the throttle stuck at half?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:

First, sorry about your crash.

If you're flying and suddenly you lose all control, it seems like an ESC or power issue. A similar experience i've had to this is when i was causing an ESC to reboot (ZTW esc) in flight because I was pulling too many amps. During the reboot, i was completely without control and crashed.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
First, sorry about your crash.

If you're flying and suddenly you lose all control, it seems like an ESC or power issue. A similar experience i've had to this is when i was causing an ESC to reboot (ZTW esc) in flight because I was pulling too many amps. During the reboot, i was completely without control and crashed.
If it was a power issue (due to faulty esc or faulty power connection) wouldn't the motor shut off? He said that his motor was stuck at half throttle. That's why I was wondering if he was SURE the motor was "powered" at half throttle. If it was, then I'm thinking it had to be something other than power related. Thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:36 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
If it was a power issue (due to faulty esc or faulty power connection) wouldn't the motor shut off? He said that his motor was stuck at half throttle. That's why I was wondering if he was SURE the motor was "powered" at half throttle. If it was, then I'm thinking it had to be something other than power related. Thoughts?
good point. I forgot that he said the motor was stuck at half throttle.