HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Registered User
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Hey Heyyy,,,how come i dont hear much on the bigger 55" Foamies lately? (BAF GENX)
is small really the thing these days? i thought people like the Giant Larger Foamies....Floats better, easy to see and it's sooo cool to have that Hulky looking bigger than everyone elses toy.....lol
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Hey Heyyy,,,how come i dont hear much on the bigger 55" Foamies lately? (BAF GENX)
is small really the thing these days? i thought people like the Giant Larger Foamies....Floats better, easy to see and it's sooo cool to have that Hulky looking bigger than everyone elses toy.....lol
i love the 55"s,dont have one right now but there are a ton of fun to fly.they really do feel like a 30%+ airplane.
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
i've heard the 48 BAFs were designed the fly like the 55s with similar feel and floatiness. I'd love to try a 55 some time, but I think I'll stick with the 40 and 48s for now since that is what i have equipment for (servos, batts, etc)
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
so on my beater 40" Juka, i just replaced the 65mgs with some emax digitals on the wings and a power hd 1900 on the rudder. Still running a 65HD on the elevator. This plane has kind of become my experiment plane. I'm also trying an Orange 6ch RX and a ztw BEC.

I'm really enjoying the switching and swapping to try and see what budget components works. Of course, i'm still running Mike's dynamo motor and ESC. When i build the backup juka that is still in the box, i'll probably go back to 65MG servos all around. The 48" Yak 54 is running all 65MGs and Mike's Dynamo motor. Didn't want to cheap out on the servos on this one until it's got a few battle scars on it.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
so on my beater 40" Juka, i just replaced the 65mgs with some emax digitals on the wings and a power hd 1900 on the rudder. Still running a 65HD on the elevator. This plane has kind of become my experiment plane. I'm also trying an Orange 6ch RX and a ztw BEC.

I'm really enjoying the switching and swapping to try and see what budget components works. Of course, i'm still running Mike's dynamo motor and ESC. When i build the backup juka that is still in the box, i'll probably go back to 65MG servos all around. The 48" Yak 54 is running all 65MGs and Mike's Dynamo motor. Didn't want to cheap out on the servos on this one until it's got a few battle scars on it.
what size lipo are you using. i too also got the Orange rx..i have a AR6200 with Satelite so i'm good as far as rx but i'm curious to know if that Orange can be trusted in a 55" Baf Genx or any of the larger ones..i get a little nervous putting these inexpensive components in my plane. i have ALL MIKES Recommended Electronics and so far so good. i had this Foamy about a year now and everything seems to still be going strong. Similar setup you have. ALL 65MG Servos, 54 C.Creation esc. Mike's Dynamo recommended Motor and i'm Running a 3s 2600 Lipo.
Goes straight up and has plenty of power and like santiago3d92095 said, they sure do Fly like the Big 30%'rs.......
good luck on your experiment...
let me us know how that Orange Rx works. I may just use it one day...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
on the 40 DWs, i'm using 1300mah and 1000mah G-Force 30c lipos. On the 48 DW i'm using zippy 25c 2200s. They work well so far. The 1300 g-force batts are starting to sag a bit towards the end. The other thing is that i've had to resolder the balance wires a couple times on the g-force lipos. They seem to pull out very easily. Regarding the zippy's, I've had several in the past and i really like them. Good, cheap battery that you can buy from the usa warehouse from HK now.

I'm only using the orange rx on the beater 40" Juka. That plane has been crashed so many times, i'm not too worried about it. That said, the Orange RX has been flawless on both my DX6i and DX8. I'm using it without the satellite and it hasn't missed a beat. I also used it in a 35" valuehobby sabre and it worked perfectly too. So for me, i feel very comfortable entrusting it to a larger plane. I'll definitely use the orange RX when i build the backup 40" Juka i have waiting in the box.

I'd probably use the orange in a larger model too. In my 48" yak 54 DW, i'm using an AR6110e simply because i had it. But i'd have no problems using the orange in it too simply because it's been tested out so much in my other planes. I've been thinking about getting the satellite extension for the orange rx to use in a larger model, but they are always out of stock and cost more than the RX itself.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Last edited by DenverJayhawk; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
I just tried an Orange RX for the 1st time in my 80+ mph F4F. I was pretty unsure how well it would work on a speeding missile, but the $7 Orange 610 has worked great so far. It has one little antenna, no diversity dual antennas and no satellite hooked to it.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
Registered User
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
iiiiii donno guys.....i am not gonna put a $7 rx in a $300 Baf Genx 55" Foamy..i'm just NOT....i trust the AR6200 with the Satelite much better...No one would Disagree. i have too much invested, ESPECIALLY the build. It's not easy to build these large Foamies. It takes time and Money and once it's build, you have a sense of accomplishment. So with that being said, when i purchased mine from Dwfoamies, mike suggested a electronics package, so i took it. Metal gears?? no problems here,,,C. Creations 54a esc? No problems here, Dynamo motor? well never heard of it but i bought it anyways. Quality Lipos. (anything that has a "C" Rating of 25c)
and of course the heart is in the RX. That's what controls everything. That's the last installation. So if it's a beater foamie that you dont care about well i guess that's ok but once money is involved, i would get the AR500 or 6200 with Satelite....so even tho i have that same $9. i'm just a little Leary about using it now. I donno,,,maybe i just havent gotten over the name brand stuff yet.
Trex 600 - over a HK600? i take the Trex,,,thank you very much....lol
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
you have to do what you're comfortable with. That's all that really matters. I'd be worried about a cheap orange in a brand new model $300+ model too. That's why i'll probably stick with it in the 48" and below foamies. I will say that it has not missed a beat though. Has never lost bind or hiccuped while in the air. I would use my one orange with sat. in my 48" DW if i didn't already have the 6110e in it simply because I feel it's been proven in my other airframes. But i would only do that after checking it out in the beaters first.

FWIW, there's people that have posted using orange +sat in their 48" balsa models without any issue. At that point, they have 500 bucks riding on it.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
The only time my Orange hiccuped was when I once put it too close to the ESC. Moved it back a couple of inches and now I can fly the plane far enough away that I can't even tell orientation
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
in my departed 35" sabre, i used the orange and flew it waaay beyond normal park flying distance and it didn't miss a beat. This was without the sat. extension and only had the one antennae. That was the only time it was not on a foamie.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
you have to do what you're comfortable with. That's all that really matters. I'd be worried about a cheap orange in a brand new model $300+ model too. That's why i'll probably stick with it in the 48" and below foamies. I will say that it has not missed a beat though. Has never lost bind or hiccuped while in the air. I would use my one orange with sat. in my 48" DW if i didn't already have the 6110e in it simply because I feel it's been proven in my other airframes. But i would only do that after checking it out in the beaters first.

FWIW, there's people that have posted using orange +sat in their 48" balsa models without any issue. At that point, they have 500 bucks riding on it.
i hear ya man,,,it's all about the comfort zone and how much u wanna spend....
your right about that. i have bout 9 Foamies and most of them are 40Inch and below., so in that case i would have no problem trying this Orange rx in one of those. Currently i have Ar6100e in all my foamies. but based on all your testimonies, my mind is a little more at ease cause i just got another foamy and the only spare rx i have is that $9 orange rx....so yeah, i'll give it a go....

Thanks
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
KF7JBN
Jhondra's Avatar
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
iiiiii donno guys.....i am not gonna put a $7 rx in a $300 Baf Genx 55" Foamy..i'm just NOT....i trust the AR6200 with the Satelite much better...No one would Disagree. i have too much invested, ESPECIALLY the build. It's not easy to build these large Foamies. It takes time and Money and once it's build, you have a sense of accomplishment. So with that being said, when i purchased mine from Dwfoamies, mike suggested a electronics package, so i took it. Metal gears?? no problems here,,,C. Creations 54a esc? No problems here, Dynamo motor? well never heard of it but i bought it anyways. Quality Lipos. (anything that has a "C" Rating of 25c)
and of course the heart is in the RX. That's what controls everything. That's the last installation. So if it's a beater foamie that you dont care about well i guess that's ok but once money is involved, i would get the AR500 or 6200 with Satelite....so even tho i have that same $9. i'm just a little Leary about using it now. I donno,,,maybe i just havent gotten over the name brand stuff yet.
Trex 600 - over a HK600? i take the Trex,,,thank you very much....lol
LOL. Start using the cheaper HK stuff across the board, and that $300 55 BAF is only $150...

Grin.

Sorry, I believe in "quality" too, but expensive does not mean quality...

Cheap OFTEN does, but doesn't have to either.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:39 AM
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
294 Posts
i have used the orange receiver up to my 48 inch foamies,yes i have had lock outs before but i have flown so much it also has happen with the brand ones(1 or 2 times with both)i still trust the original one more but as long as you fly close you shouldn't have a problem with the orange ones.

i really like taking the cases of the orange ones and use them indoors
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Registered User
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
i've never taken the case off my 6ch Orange (no sat.). Does that help with range? The antennae is already exposed outside the case.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme rpmrpm Painting and Finishing Tips 47 Feb 24, 2013 05:35 PM
Discussion DW foamies BAF 48" yak 54 build thread appleflyer 3D Flying 50 Jul 24, 2012 04:31 PM
Discussion DW Foamies Yak Junior Build Thread NumbSkull 3D Foamies 90 Feb 01, 2012 04:25 PM
Poll DW Foamies owners thread (poll) Xpress.. 3D Flying 132 Mar 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X tdriedger 3D Foamies 14 Jan 12, 2010 05:13 PM