HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.55%
DW SKUA 28 4.84%
DW 38" kit 173 29.93%
DW 48" kit 153 26.47%
DW 55" kit 70 12.11%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.56%
Never owned one 205 35.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 578. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
That would work. Plus, I could give that tree some payback and use it as firewood. How dare it grab my plane and keep it like that.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Sorry I've tried looking but there's 200+ pages!

I'm intending to transplant the 4-site guts, and I have a GWS 5030 driven by AP05 on 2S 180-240mah.

I'm thinking 22" Juka micro, or 24" Skua micro.

I would like it floaty with good 3D capabilities too - it looks like people are coming in around the 65-70g mark, is that right?

The motor/prop combo I have, I get around 110g max thrust.

Is the transplant possible? Or would I need extra parts, like aileron servos? Can I use the 4-site aileron servos?

Appreciate any help!
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Gravity hates me.
3dRCrazy's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
Sorry I've tried looking but there's 200+ pages!

I'm intending to transplant the 4-site guts, and I have a GWS 5030 driven by AP05 on 2S 180-240mah.

I'm thinking 22" Juka micro, or 24" Skua micro.

I would like it floaty with good 3D capabilities too - it looks like people are coming in around the 65-70g mark, is that right?

The motor/prop combo I have, I get around 110g max thrust.

Is the transplant possible? Or would I need extra parts, like aileron servos? Can I use the 4-site aileron servos?

Appreciate any help!
Yes! That combo will work if u build it very lightly. You could use your two aileron servos or you could buy a tiny little black servo, ipeither way would work well. I have the 22in Threlon and the 22in juka and I use the combo on the dwfoamies website. It flies great
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
Yes! That combo will work if u build it very lightly. You could use your two aileron servos or you could buy a tiny little black servo, ipeither way would work well. I have the 22in Threlon and the 22in juka and I use the combo on the dwfoamies website. It flies great
Why not buy something like this, then use the AR6400 and have two spare aileron servos
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Why not buy something like this, then use the AR6400 and have two spare aileron servos
Bryan the link doesn't work for me - could you tell me what it is?
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:49 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
It's the TechOne Micro Pack consisting of:

C05 Brushless Motor
7A Electronic Speed Control
Three 2.5g micro Servos
GWS 5x3 and 4x2.5 Propeller

Here are the specs:

C05 Motor - kV Rating: 3700 Weight: 0.16oz (4.6g)
TL-2.5 Servo - Operating Voltage: 3-6V DC Torque: 0.2kg.cm @ 4.8V 0.35kg.cm @ 6V Speed: 0.1sec/60 at no load Weight: 0.09oz (2.5g)
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:10 AM
Registered User
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Tubbster: Sorry about the plane in da tree episode. Bummer! Did you get it down? I just joined Kitsap Arcs. Havent flown there yet. (but the trees are farther away)~!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Chris,
As of last night, it's still up there. I was flying at Water Lane Field. I just joined EFLAPS and it was my first time flying at the field! I hope it comes down before the rain gets here because I am sure it's repairable, these planes are pretty tough!
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
Chris,
As of last night, it's still up there. I was flying at Water Lane Field. I just joined EFLAPS and it was my first time flying at the field! I hope it comes down before the rain gets here because I am sure it's repairable, these planes are pretty tough!
How high up is it? Take a picture. I have poles that helped me get one down with a ladder that was up about 35-40 ft in a redwood tree.
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
It's about 75ft up. Tried the fishing pole today, lost all the line on the pole and about 7 weights.
Sorry about the orientation of the picture.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
santiago3d92095's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
285 Posts
Here's the maiden flight on the "on axis"!!! there was about 15mph winds but it didn't notice it at all! flew straight with out any trim.It is by far the most precise foamie I have ever flown,KE is super straight and needs no mixing what so ever.Snap rolls are amazing!! at first I thought it was going to over rotate but it stops on the spot!! and flat turns only need rudder.Down lines are really slow with the open rudders and it tracks extremely well.

I only have positive thing to say about it.

DWfoamies on axis (maiden) (3 min 19 sec)
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I like it! Would the On Axis handle 2200 3s lipo paks?
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:01 AM
Pro beginner
rchelijc's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
In preparation... I have a hobbyking epo yak(bright yellow-blue) that's literally held together by glue. Flies fine, but am looking to one day soon transplant the guts over.

Power plant: 3S 1100mah, 20A esc, 8060 props pulling measured 500-550g max static thrust, with 4x 9g servos

Any recommendations on which dw foamie would be good? I'm looking for excellent 3D and slow flight.
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
I'd think a 38" or 40" plane would do fine with that.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
PA, WMPF & HE Team Pilot
AndreasHeger's Avatar
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Apr 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095 View Post
Here's the maiden flight on the "on axis"!!! there was about 15mph winds but it didn't notice it at all! flew straight with out any trim.It is by far the most precise foamie I have ever flown,KE is super straight and needs no mixing what so ever.Snap rolls are amazing!! at first I thought it was going to over rotate but it stops on the spot!! and flat turns only need rudder.Down lines are really slow with the open rudders and it tracks extremely well.

I only have positive thing to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkzZ...26AUAAAAAAAAAA
EXCELLENT!
Absolutely sharp snaps and precise!
Perfect for practicing your IMAC in your backyard!
AndreasHeger is offline Find More Posts by AndreasHeger
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme rpmrpm Painting and Finishing Tips 47 Feb 24, 2013 04:35 PM
Discussion DW foamies BAF 48" yak 54 build thread appleflyer 3D Flying 50 Jul 24, 2012 03:31 PM
Discussion DW Foamies Yak Junior Build Thread NumbSkull 3D Foamies 90 Feb 01, 2012 03:25 PM
Poll DW Foamies owners thread (poll) Xpress.. 3D Flying 132 Mar 26, 2010 11:10 AM
Discussion DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X tdriedger 3D Foamies 14 Jan 12, 2010 04:13 PM