SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
I have my DW up for sale for anyone in the Dallas-Ft Worth area: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576887

Not enough wall space to store it unfortunately. Once this sells though, I'll probably use the $$ to fund a smaller DW plane (looking at the 32" Juka) that will fit on the wall. Or may finally build the micro Juka...
blueapplepaste is online now Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
My buddy flying DW 55' @ IE. Although it was an old beat up plane, he flew it like a BRAND NEW DWF!!! He was trimming it half the time during the flight.....

Joe Case flying his 55' Juka @ IE in a windy day! (1 min 23 sec)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,982 Posts
I'm at the stage that when my tail touches the ground it usually means back home for repairs! Nice flying.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I'm at the stage that when my tail touches the ground it usually means back home for repairs! Nice flying.

Blu
eh!eh! THanx Blu...I'm sure u will get there soon with ya enthusiasm!!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
cool
Last edited by eranrc; Jan 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Hello fellow addicts!!!

I've decided I'm ready to move to a depron 3D aerobat, as I am very comfortable flying my Twisted Hobbys Xtra Slick.

I'm leaning toward the 55" Gen X, but I'm not so sure about the power system, because I've never built anything so big. Is the DWF-recommended setup on the website good, or is there something better/cheaper? This is the setup I'm considering:

HS-82MG servos
Dynamo or Scorpion motor?
Thunderbird 54A ESC
AR500 rx
2800 or 3000mAh battery?

Any recommendations?
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
that's it 3dflyboy1. that's similar to my setup. has plenty of power with a 3s 2600mah Lipo.
i get like 7 minutes of Flying. id say GO FOR IT. i have mine for sale but u know what? i'm thinking of keeping it now. It's soooo much Fun and super big.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,722 Posts
If Mike recommends it for his airplanes, it's because it works. If you put what he says in the airplane, you'll love it. Guaranteed.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevjonez View Post
on your futaba radio. take the extra channel and adjust the end point value to control the gain. start at about 40-50% and try it. also you might try setting one value at 0 and see if it will disable the gyro so you can toggle it on and off as you fly.

the purpose for a gyro can be great for hover training. set one on the elevator so your main focus can be the rudder and ail. put it on the ail so it couters the torque automatically so you can get used to moving the plane around with the ele and ruder in the vertical attitude.

lots of training. and a perfect torque roll would be pretty cool after a few rotations. but i doubt that you could get it to stay in a perfect vertical even with the gyro's cranked to the edge of hunting.

do i set the servo up just like normal 3d, larger control horn and high rates?
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
If Mike recommends it for his airplanes, it's because it works. If you put what he says in the airplane, you'll love it. Guaranteed.
That's exactly what i did. i took Mikes advise and bought the baf genx 55" and purchased the power package from his web site. i was not half steppin on this big foamy. Dont regret it at all.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
+1 many times over.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
that's it 3dflyboy1. that's similar to my setup. has plenty of power with a 3s 2600mah Lipo.
i get like 7 minutes of Flying. id say GO FOR IT. i have mine for sale but u know what? i'm thinking of keeping it now. It's soooo much Fun and super big.
Did you use the Dynamo or Scorpion motor?

---------------

edit: I'm also looking at the Juka...does anyone have any experience with that one?
Last edited by 3dflyboy1; Jan 22, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i'm using the Dynamo Motor. I believe it's 900kv or 1000kv. Goes straight up and QUICK..i even used it on a week 3s 2200mah Lipo 15c and i still got 6 to 7 minutes. Get it man, i'm telln u now, u wont regret it. The build is a challenge tho. Be sure to use those Carbon Fiber Rods supplied. Because it's so big, picking it up in the wrong area can put stress on the plane. You can damage plane more by handling then Flying. I saw you posted to my classified ad, if i were in California i would sell it to you but after looking at this thread again, i decided i'm going to Keep mine. i was thinking of trying something different like the 48" Juka and that's why i put mine up for sale.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i decided i'm going to Keep mine.
Great idea
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
Did you use the Dynamo or Scorpion motor?

---------------

edit: I'm also looking at the Juka...does anyone have any experience with that one?
I have used both in different sizes, both performed very well. If your tryig to keep the budget down go Dynamo, otherwise go Scorpion.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth