SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Well if you're going to go that far might as well run one on the elevator and rudder. Put the plane into a hover, put the Tx down and amaze your friends with a jaw dropping display of a torque roll
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
on your futaba radio. take the extra channel and adjust the end point value to control the gain. start at about 40-50% and try it. also you might try setting one value at 0 and see if it will disable the gyro so you can toggle it on and off as you fly.

the purpose for a gyro can be great for hover training. set one on the elevator so your main focus can be the rudder and ail. put it on the ail so it couters the torque automatically so you can get used to moving the plane around with the ele and ruder in the vertical attitude.

lots of training. and a perfect torque roll would be pretty cool after a few rotations. but i doubt that you could get it to stay in a perfect vertical even with the gyro's cranked to the edge of hunting.
trevjonez is offline Find More Posts by trevjonez
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,062 Posts
So I've been looking around at 3D foamies, and have decided on a 48" kit from DWfoamies. I'm new to 3D but have been flying wings/warbirds/Stryker for about a year now. What do you guys think would be the best model for a new-to-3D flyer? At this point I'm liking the 48" Extra 300.

Also, what are the differences between all the different models? Thanks!
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
So I've been looking around at 3D foamies, and have decided on a 48" kit from DWfoamies. I'm new to 3D but have been flying wings/warbirds/Stryker for about a year now. What do you guys think would be the best model for a new-to-3D flyer? At this point I'm liking the 48" Extra 300.

Get the BAF GENX,,,you wont be dissapointed. It really flies slow and does really good 3d and you can see it better and it's still just as lite as the 48"
check out how big it is.
1st photo is the BAF GENX on the Left. It's 55" Wing Span...you can see the difference in size compared to the smaller one in the middle. It's HUGE!!!
2nd photo, you see the BAF GENX all the way to the Right in the corner? Mannn, let me tell, that plane is a dream to Fly and attracts a lot of attention at the park..
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post

the 48" extra is a really good plane to start,it will do every 3D manuber but it is also relly precise

and all models fly differently.some roll faster than others,some have more rudder authority and so on,its like asking what is the difference between a P-51 and a P-47.

sense you are just going to start 3D i would say get the one that you like the most,at first they are all going to feel about the same until you start getting the hang of it.
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Putting on a lot of flight time with my 40" fusion Extra. I've made lots of costly mistakes but it just glues back together time after time. Good stuff!

I'm thinking about powering up a little for more punch, but want to stay with my 1300 40c Skylipos.

Having fun,
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Blu,

I just broke the fuse in half on my Extra fusion not too long ago, glued it back together and flies just as great if not better (scars=character)! How do you like those sky lipos? I have a Gens Ace 1300 25C that I like but was thinking of something with more C rating. Are you using the Dynamo combo with it as well?? Tub
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
Blu,

I just broke the fuse in half on my Extra fusion not too long ago, glued it back together and flies just as great if not better (scars=character)! How do you like those sky lipos? I have a Gens Ace 1300 25C that I like but was thinking of something with more C rating. Are you using the Dynamo combo with it as well?? Tub
Broke my fuse in half twice and a few broken noses to boot. Yes, I use the Dynamo combo.
I like the Skylipos so far but I'm going to get one of those $30 batteries soon just to see if there's much difference. I thought I'd pooched the motor again today after a hard nose in crash/ landing in some dirt. The motor wouldn't turn so I removed it and blew compressed air to get the dirt out. A little Triflow on the bearings, a little glue on the nose and she's ready for more

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Broke my fuse in half twice and a few broken noses to boot. Yes, I use the Dynamo combo.
I like the Skylipos so far but I'm going to get one of those $30 batteries soon just to see if there's much difference. I thought I'd pooched the motor again today after a hard nose in crash/ landing in some dirt. The motor wouldn't turn so I removed it and blew compressed air to get the dirt out. A little Triflow on the bearings, a little glue on the nose and she's ready for more

Blu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Putting on a lot of flight time with my 40" fusion Extra. I've made lots of costly mistakes but it just glues back together time after time. Good stuff!

I'm thinking about powering up a little for more punch, but want to stay with my 1300 40c Skylipos.

Having fun,
Blu
Very Cool Blu!!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
So I have most of the gear for a 48" plane, 112g 100kv motor and some hxt900's. I was thinking of a 40amp and orange receiver.

How well do the larger planes handle the wind? I like my little 40" yak 55m but it tends to get blown around. Haven't decided on a model, thinking the juka
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
So I have most of the gear for a 48" plane, 112g 100kv motor and some hxt900's. I was thinking of a 40amp and orange receiver.

How well do the larger planes handle the wind? I like my little 40" yak 55m but it tends to get blown around. Haven't decided on a model, thinking the juka
I'm guessing you mean a 1000Kv motor?

As far as wind, the bigger the better, but it really depends on the type of wind, choppy or steady. In choppy wind, you need weight to calm the plane down, in steady wind you need good balance. All DW's have good balance! I fly my 40 Juka in the wind and the only drawback is it uses up the battery more quickly, other than that, it is all joy.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
HXT900's just aren't enough for the 48" airplanes. You can't forget that even though they work great for the 40" airplanes, the control surfaces on the 48" are probably 2-3x as big. Hitec HS65's are great for the 48" airplanes.

They do handle the wind pretty good, although any airplane will get tossed about in turbulent wind. Winds the 40" will get blown around in, the 48" will take it a lot better.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,062 Posts
If the HXT900 is not strong enough at 22oz of torque, would these Emax 12g servos be OK?

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2g-EMAX/Detail

Emax ES08MA Specifications:

Dimensions (L x W x H) = 0.90 x 0.45 x 0.94 inch (23.0 x 11.5 x 24.0 mm)
Weight = 12.0 grams
Weight with wire and connecter = 0.46 ounce (12.9 grams)
Ball Bearings: Yes
Gear Material: Metal
Stall Torque at 4.8 volts = 21 oz/in (1.5 kg/cm)
Stall Torque at 6.0 volts = 25 oz/in (1.8 kg/cm)
Operating Voltage = 3.0 to 7.2 volts
Operating Speed at 4.8 volts (no load) = 0.12 sec/ 60 degrees
Operating Speed at 6.0 volts (no load) = 0.10 sec/ 60 degrees
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,487 Posts
The Hitecs are slightly stronger (25oz/in vs. 22 oz/in) and they do center better than the HXTs but it is not much of a performance jump.

Check out the T-pro MG90 from HobbyParts. The MG90 is significantly stronger (31oz/in vs. 25 oz/in) and faster (.11s vs. .14s) than the Hitec HS65 (HB or MG) and it only costs $7.

They are slightly longer but will still fit in the mounts (if you use the mounts).
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:33 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I am going to huck my 40" Juka inside the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, SC again next weekend for this years annual monster jam in my area. Ceiling height is great except for the giant jumbo tron hanging down in the middle. I'll try to get some video and post it up, but I may have to resort to my GoPro for that. Lots of other guys will be running their nitro buggies and bigger Baja trucks over the monster truck jumps. Last year I flew low with my UM 4-Site under the jumps and the trucks ramped over my plane. I'm sure my bigger plane will be a real cloud pleaser this year. The crowd was louder for us that the trucks.

Here is last years video. The camera work isn't of the highest quality but it will do. My plane only pops in once or twice. It will be a real pleasure if I can nail some knife edge spins. I've been working on those way down low and I can get 4 or so rotations under 50 feet so I'm pretty sure I can nail a few indoors no problem.

Hobby Connection at the Bi-Lo Center Monster Jam 1-29-2011 (10 min 23 sec)
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun