HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.52%
DW SKUA 28 4.83%
DW 38" kit 173 29.83%
DW 48" kit 153 26.38%
DW 55" kit 70 12.07%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 207 35.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
paint question on foam

I have tried to use rattle cans on other types of foam, and it seemed that if enough of the propellant didn't flash off, then I ended up with some of the foam eaten away.

how does depron and epp hold up?

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
I have tried to use rattle cans on other types of foam, and it seemed that if enough of the propellant didn't flash off, then I ended up with some of the foam eaten away.

tim

To get the stripes & shapes I want I tape mine up w/ masking tape (both thin & thick widths) and then just use usually flourescent krylon spray pain from walmart.

Hey it aint a pro job or nothin but the bright stripes & shapes really stand out outdoors (only place I fly).

I think the hexane in spray paint will eat foam; I just put on about 3 light coats (letting each coat dry thoroughly in front of a fan) and hold the can 18" or so away when spraying.

Turns out ok & haven't had any problems.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
also some of the model car and planes spray paint will work on foam. i've used several before, but bcarefull of the floresent colors some of them can eat foam. or you can use the krylon spray cans called the fusions i think. they are said to be able to use on plastics and foam.
i use to hand paint, using brushes and the craft paint from wal-mart, i got into airbrushing not long ago and i love it. can do alot i couldn't before and the paint jobs look so much smoother. i'm working on being able to airbrush planes for guys that want their foamies painted. basically just need the wing assemblied and ailerons hinged, and the 2 fuse pieces assemblied and the rudder and elevator hinged. then i can do a cool airbrushed paint job. right now just working on the shipping back and forth. cause these bigger kits take biggr boxes than the 3mm indoor planes i've done before.

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:

tim
yep, i learned this the hard way the first time i tried it. The depron was killed by the spray paint. Make sure the paint can nozzle is held 1-2 feet away from the foam when painting and do several very light coats and you'll be fine.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
There are entire sheets of depron, just waiting for me to apply my artistry

What's a good beginner airbrush kit?

How bout this?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...hcar4012m.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
it takes me so long to do a build that I don't have time for a lengthy, detailed, self done paint job. I might pay someone else to do it for me though.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
it takes me so long to do a build that I don't have time for a lengthy, detailed, self done paint job. I might pay someone else to do it for me though.

I just can't believe there's not a market for that...a pre-painted DW foamie would definately be something I'd be interested in....even if it was "pick from these three designs"
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Batteries

I have been pricing out batteries for my 40" Extra, has anyone used the Gens Ace or the Blue Sky batteries from hobbypartz for their DW Foamie? I use them on my SC truck and they are great.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I have had good luck with the Turniqy "Nano Paks" from HobbyKing. High output, reliable and cheap.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
What size of battery do you get from them? I was thinking of the 1300mah for my foamie with the dynamo combo.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
i use 1000 and 1300 3S 30c Gforce lipos from valuehobby. They come with deans pre soldered, so almost a plug and play. That, and they are cheap batteries shipped from the US.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
What size of battery do you get from them? I was thinking of the 1300mah for my foamie with the dynamo combo.
I just bought the 1300 nano tech from HK. I was eyeing up the blue sky, but went with nano tech as I'm still flying them. 4S2500 in 51 slick, 50 cycles each. it does take 45 min to charge though.

I did buy the cobra for the 40" extra DW foamie.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
541 Posts
Quote:
I just bought the 1300 nano tech from HK. I was eyeing up the blue sky, but went with nano tech as I'm still flying them. 4S2500 in 51 slick, 50 cycles each. it does take 45 min to charge though.

I did buy the cobra for the 40" extra DW foamie.

Charge rate?
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I am running a variety of high output batteries from 900 to 1150 MAH. Flying for 6 minutes at a variety some floating around then some verticals, fast passes, etc with at least a minute left over on the 1150's. Keeps weight light and verticals have some punch due to the lighter weight.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Charge rate?
3S1300 30C $9.87 each