SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
On these planes, what's the difference in performance, handling, and maneuvering to use an Electric prop as opposed to a Slow-Fly?
A slo-Fly is a Full EPP plane that is not near as snappy as a Depron plane and especialy compared to the DW lineup.

They have there places, especialy if your learning some of the 3d manuevers.

I have a friend that has been flying a couple of my DW planes, he does OK but was failing to progress becuase he was always worried about crashing.

I put him on a Slofly EPP plane, bought a package of hot glue and got toether some scrap foam. Three months later he is hovering like a pro and and now very comfortable flying the DW planes. In his case, he would have totaled a dozen Depron planes getting to where he is now.

FWIW

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
Hi Blu,

I'm a member of EBRC (I also do the newsletter, www.eastbayrc.org) which is off to the north of 580 just as you go up the altamont. I also fly some at lunch at baylands (public park) in sunnyvale when I have the chance.

The EBRC site is very nice, sun to your back, you just have to be careful with the wind which comes up quickly sometimes. come out sometime and fly as my guest. you do have to have AMA.

yeah there are never enough flying sites, especially without politics.

tim
I haven't got my AMA yet but it will be now that I know about your club. I have heard of Baylands before but I didn't know it was a public park. Is there web info on it? Is EBRC friendly to foam park flyers? I've read some not so glowing reports about some clubs being kind of stuffy in that regard.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
A slo-Fly is a Full EPP plane that is not near as snappy as a Depron plane and especialy compared to the DW lineup.

They have there places, especialy if your learning some of the 3d manuevers.

I have a friend that has been flying a couple of my DW planes, he does OK but was failing to progress becuase he was always worried about crashing.

I put him on a Slofly EPP plane, bought a package of hot glue and got toether some scrap foam. Three months later he is hovering like a pro and and now very comfortable flying the DW planes. In his case, he would have totaled a dozen Depron planes getting to where he is now.

FWIW

Mike R
I run a Slow-Fly on my twin CS Yak-54's (profile balsa fuse w/ built covered balsa wing), so I'm afraid you didn't really answer my question. I am wondering why you'd use one prop as opposed to another given the same diameter and pitch [EDIT: and plane].
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Last edited by BryanEW710; Oct 19, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:20 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I haven't got my AMA yet but it will be now that I know about your club. I have heard of Baylands before but I didn't know it was a public park. Is there web info on it? Is EBRC friendly to foam park flyers? I've read some not so glowing reports about some clubs being kind of stuffy in that regard.

Blu
actually there are two RC clubs in Livermore; EBRC and LFE although LFE has capped membership at this point.

Baylands is a nice and pretty friendly place, lots of heli fliers. there are some forums on bayrc.com one of which is for baylands. It gets pretty busy sometimes around lunch. No AMA required, no organization so very loose.

AT EBRC we have our rules and those that like to enforce them. there is some sensitivity to this because a few years ago, before going full electric, we were in a battle with the neighbors over noise and had some IMAC fliers that were less than coorporative and thought we were going to lose the field. So this residual still exists. We just approved another new member at the club meeting on sunday (foamie flier), so there are open slots and we are foam friendly. take a look at the field on the website, our rules are posted, come on out and give us a test drive. I'm usually there on saturday and sunday, we open 8am, sometimes the wind comes up by 10am. There are a couple of gates you have to go through to get to the field and a sign off laughlin road. There are locks on the gates, but if anyone is out, they will be opened, just close the gates so the cows don't get out.

tim

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Picked up another 40" DW Yak 55M Fusion kit and as always great service and fast shipping from DW Foamies. If you havent bought a DW Foamie i even recommend it for just the customer service experience.

I noticed on the new version both the fuse and wings are now 9mm and that there are less counter balence tabs on the wings. I will take my time with this one as the last one came down in three pieces after being grappling hooked out of a tree.
SIDWULF is offline Find More Posts by SIDWULF
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hi Twilkers & Bluhammer, It's great to hear your getting the extra Twilkers!! You will love it. cause if your new to foamies and not really into 3-d the extra will fly so smooth and gracefull you think it's a larger pattern plane, but you set-up high rate to get max throws you can get it is a 3-d beast!! a buddy of mine is a great 3-d pilot, he can do just about anything, (i'm still perfecting something on my 3-d flying) so i always get him to fly my planes an ring it out, he hs competed in the king 50 3-d comtest twice!!! he loved the extra, it was a little windy when he flew it about 10mph with gust to 15 or so. he was really impressed with how well it flew in wind, almost like he wind didn't affect it!! he loved how it rolled and how easy it went into spins and how flat it got, and wa realy impressed how well it flipped since it has a long fuse!!! between him and I we have messed with about every foamie out there and my two are the only DW planes he has flew and he said that the DW planes are the finest, best flying planes he has ever flew!!! all that being said, to your question.
i used th hextroniks hxt-900 servos. on the ailerons and rudder the used the longest of the provided servo arms, i used on of their arms and made a 3-d arm myself for the elevator. it's probally 1 1/4" long and i'm getting probally 75 degrees up and down, maybe a touch more but i know 75 degrees i'm getting. ailerons i'm running 140% travel adjustment. elevator i'm running about 115%, now rudder i had to cut down to about 92%. now thats all high rate settings. the rudder i set to where it's about 1/2" off the elevator. ok now i hav to say the rudder is touchy on the extra. on low rate i first set it up at about 1" movement each way. after the first flight i had to lower the low rate throw by about 6% and added 5% more expo. the travel is about 3/4" each way. you will be amazed at how little throw the rudder needs, it is very effective!!! elevator at low rate i set it to between 3/4" to 1" movement both ways and it came out just right. on aileron i cut my throws in half. so if at high rate it's moving 3" i set low rate to 1.5" originally i had the high rate aileron to about 110% after the first flight i moved it to 140%, so now high rate is very fast and low rate is very smooth, not touchy!! i'm running between 25 to 30% on everything. hope my number help you guys set-up yours!!!

keep your eyes open guys, i'm currently building another 40" all depron yak 55M for a friend and i'm going to do a How I Paint My Foamies Thread!!! i use all airbrush to paint and i'll show how i design my scheme and then transfer it to the foam and taping it off and painting!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:23 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Hi MadMikey,

Thanks for the deflection recommendations. it always helps to start out with some numbers that are good for someone so can get to the fun fast!

I have several 3D Hobby shop planes. 41" edge buck huck, 51" slick, 68" velox. Looking for some fun with the DW, I've heard so many good things about them.

what motor do you use in your 40" DW extra?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,985 Posts
Thank you M/M. That info really makes it clear on a good starting point for setup. Much appreciated!

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:04 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I have been fortunate to have been able to get out a few days in a row and get to know my DW 9mm Extra 300. I have flown it at 50% control movement/30% expo and it is a great trainer at those settings, albiet a bit sluggish. I put a few paks thru it at full 100% control movemnt/30% expo and was all over da sky! Toned it down yesterday by increasing expo to 70%. Much better but still pretty quick.
Took it out today (light winds with some unpredictable gusts), but reduced the control movements back to 75% / 30% expo (left rudder at 100%/70% expo). I was pretty happy with the performance with this set up. rolls are a bit quicker and the model is much smoother to fly. I think I will stick with this setup for a while and work the IMAC patterns for a bit to get some good solid basics. Later I will up the control rates as I improve.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it Chris! It is amazing how versital these things are! Just change a few settings in your radio and they fly like a whole new airplane!
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:51 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
I run a Slow-Fly on my twin CS Yak-54's (profile balsa fuse w/ built covered balsa wing), so I'm afraid you didn't really answer my question. I am wondering why you'd use one prop as opposed to another given the same diameter and pitch [EDIT: and plane].
Sorry I miss interpeted your question completely. Sorry about that.
MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Sorry I miss interpeted your question completely. Sorry about that.
MIke R
It's ok. I guess I was just wondering why you'd go for an Electric prop over a Slow-fly on one of these. The SF props generally give more thrust for better 3D, right?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:42 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Twilkers, i'm using the Dynamo motor that is recomended it the 2217-950. the price for the motor combo is great, for $54.95 it's a killer deal, a motor, esc, prop, and prop addaptor. i'm running 1300mah 3 cell 30c packs, i bought them at Joe Nall, they were a company i never heard of called Power Edge. they are very powerfull, has great vertical and i don't have to use much throttle to hover. i have my time set to 7 minutes and i get great power thru out the flight!! i also have some 25c packs that are 1300 and i still get 7 minutes just not alot of power towards the end of the flight.
Twilkers, you sound like the guy i need to talk to. i'm looking to get a larger electric plane when i get my taxes back. i was thinking about a 3dhs plane. maye the 51" slick, i was at SEFF years ago when AJ first introduced the AJ Slick and i fell in love with it. i'm hoping 3dhs comes out with the new AJ Yak 55M by tax time, cause i love yak 55M's too!!! but i can't make up my mind between 3dhs planes and extreme flight 48" size planes. the mxs they have looks really cool and from what i hear flys great too!!! but their edge and extra are geat ones too. so many choices!!! LOL

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:09 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
i'm looking to get a larger electric plane when i get my taxes back. i was thinking about a 3dhs plane. maye the 51" slick,

Mikey
Hey Mikey,

I ended up ordering the cobra motor today, sort of middle of the road.

I really like the 51 slick, am on my second airframe. this was my first venture into 3DHS planes and it took some adjusting to my flying about 2.5 years ago. These are really high performance aircraft and first flight was a white knuckle experience at least for me. Can't go back now!

I would recommend their 41" edge as a first one though. this is their "hundred buck huck". I think it would make for an easier transition. It was similarity to the buck huck that focused me on the DW extra 40" since I plan the same hs45HB servos and 3S1350 batts. my batts are only 20C but I'll acquire some 30C along the way. on the buck huck I don't even use low rates any more, I still do some low rates on the 51.

overall, I can't say enough good things about 3DHS. how their planes fly, their customer service, the depth and completeness of their instructions, their addict level following. you can't go wrong whatever you buy from 3DHS. Since you are on the east coast, you can't be far from a strong 3DHS following.

tim
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
It's ok. I guess I was just wondering why you'd go for an Electric prop over a Slow-fly on one of these. The SF props generally give more thrust for better 3D, right?
It just depends. The slo-fly props draw a lot more current, so in my set up, a 10x3.8 was pushing it and a 10x4.7 would fry the motor. A 10x5e is perfect for it. I still have ~2.4:1 thrust ratio, so plenty of thrust.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste