HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
I did a quick flight today with full control throws and 40% expo and am still a bit shacky when it comes to smooth turns and overall control. I can fly it an land it safely, but it is still not a pretty picture.

What rates are youse guys flying with? (especially in the beginning).

Also, what mix settings are you using for Knive edge, etc?

Trying to fly daily while the weather holds up.
I fly with max rates (as far as the servo/control surface will go), and I've done this from day 1 as my first 3D plane and haven't had too much trouble. I also use 25-30% expo on elevator/ailerons and 0% on rudder.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:34 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
I want to fully abuse this foamie to learn more 3D stuff. I found another thread showing what is epp, seems the front half of the vertical fuse and some of the horizontal fuse is EPP. the wing and tail are depron.

I was hoping to hear more from people that have the fusion and how it has stood up to actual abuse but haven't seen much from actual practice yet. still looking.

I like the idea, just want to know if it lives up to the promise without sacrificing rigidity.

tim
You're right on with the EPP, the body is mostly EPP, with the wings/tail being depron. I have very minimal problems with it flexing.

Abuse wise, I've never nosed it straight into the ground yet, but I have cartwheeled it, scrapped it, flipped it, etc, doing low 3D stuff and it doesn't even have a scratch on it, just some dirt . Highly recommended if this is your first 3D ship.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Funny...(and you can ask anyone that's seen me fly)...I can fly just fine. In fact, I take off and fly on high rates at all times.

...Just can't land for crap. I can count on one time the number of landings I've nailed on the first pass
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Chris, if you're starting out in 3D and using big throws I would move the expo up around 70%. Thing is too much throw for inexperience 3Der and the plane will hang up and stop and loose all air speed.

As you get better you will probably dial it down and end up around 30%.

It's all personal preference, so I would experiment and see what works best for you.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
That's EXACTLY what happened a few times today, even when making a simple turn, especially on lower speeds, where I never had that problem in the past.

Also. did you know that when you flew my DW Extra last week, I accidently had the expo reversed by mistake from +30 to -30!!! I don't know how you flew it???
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Keep in mind that Mike at DW Foamies is THE MAN and will take care of you.
A great point - this right here is easily worth the additional cost. DW probably has the best customer service I've seen.

I was having some issues with my fusion flexing, and was complaining in this thread about it. Mike emails me unsolicited and told me I might have gotten a kit with the wrong EPP (a few kits went out w/the wrong EPP and he didn't catch them all). So he sent me a brand new complete kit with the correct EPP!

Try getting that customer service with HK.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
I did a quick flight today with full control throws and 40% expo and am still a bit shacky when it comes to smooth turns and overall control. I can fly it an land it safely, but it is still not a pretty picture.

What rates are youse guys flying with? (especially in the beginning).

Also, what mix settings are you using for Knive edge, etc?

Trying to fly daily while the weather holds up.
Another suggestion is to run dual rates and fly on the lower rates until you get more aclamated to the plane.

I have a couple planes that are set up with so much throw that it's very difficult to fly smooth pattern unless I back off the throw. When it's time to hang it I pop the rates back to high.

Just a thought.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
is the performance of the scorpion worth the price premium over the dynamo?

is there a cobra alternative for a 40" fusion extra?

thanks,
tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:28 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
I don't want to beat this to death but you guys are the pros. Mike suggested either the extra 300 or the Gen-X 40 inchers.
I will probably not be banging any hard 3D for a long time but want to do a lot of spins, loops, and hovers close in and still do some scale cruising, etc and landings too. What's the better choice? I fly PZ park flyers and um's since Feburary.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
is the performance of the scorpion worth the price premium over the dynamo?

is there a cobra alternative for a 40" fusion extra?

thanks,
tim
I'm running the 2217/16 on my 40" fusion. 240 watts @ 22A with a 10x5E APC prop. Insane power.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
On these planes, what's the difference in performance, handling, and maneuvering to use an Electric prop as opposed to a Slow-Fly?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:24 AM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Bluhammer, i would go with the extra. as u said u want to do some things and then once you get use to it you might want to start 3-ding some. i have the 40" extra and i love it!!! it flys great lines and is super smooth!!! but when you turn the rates to high it will 3-d great!!! i think u might be happier with the extra.

i myself set-up high rate to get max throws on all the surfaces, i then set low rate so it flys very smooth. i usually set high rate at 50 to 60% expo and set the low rate to half of wat i set the high, so if i set the elevator to 60% expo i set low rate to 30%. doing it that way for years it has always worked out great!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:09 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Hi Mad Mikey,

Do you have deflection recommendation for low rate?

BTW, I just ordered the extra fusion 40". can't wait.

since I'm used to building 3dhs models, I was expecting recommendations for high and low rate deflections as well as high and low rate expo settings.

thanks,
tim
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:44 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mad Mikey,

Do you have deflection recommendation for low rate?

BTW, I just ordered the extra fusion 40". can't wait.

since I'm used to building 3dhs models, I was expecting recommendations for high and low rate deflections as well as high and low rate expo settings.

thanks,
tim
Thanks Mad Mikey, I have the same question as Tim.
Hey Tim, where do you fly in Livermore? I'm over the hill in Hayward and it's hard to find large open places to fly scale planes here close to the bay!
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Thanks Mad Mikey, I have the same question as Tim.
Hey Tim, where do you fly in Livermore? I'm over the hill in Hayward and it's hard to find large open places to fly scale planes here close to the bay!
Blu

Hi Blu,

I'm a member of EBRC (I also do the newsletter, www.eastbayrc.org) which is off to the north of 580 just as you go up the altamont. I also fly some at lunch at baylands (public park) in sunnyvale when I have the chance.

The EBRC site is very nice, sun to your back, you just have to be careful with the wind which comes up quickly sometimes. come out sometime and fly as my guest. you do have to have AMA.

yeah there are never enough flying sites, especially without politics.

tim