SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:40 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Tubbster. Great to have another newbee in the area. I fly at a field on water lane SE. (off Salmonberry) in Port Orchard. It is a large field that a small local park flying club (EFlaps) has permission to use (as long as you have an AMA Card) as it is an AMA parklyer field (EFlapps has pretty much moved to gliders, but they are cheap $20.00 per year to join and have a few good fields). I like the Water ln silte, it is the size of 3 football fields and nobody uses it. Also, there is a full blown club, Kitsap ARCS. That I will also join in Jan.

However, I seem to be happiest as a schoolyard flyer. The only problem is that it gets a bit lonely at times.

I'm flying the 40" 9mm Edge 300. (Will also buy a Depron version soon). Great airplane and on low rates, very, very, easy to fly. Mad Mikey pretty much says it all...
Chris, I looked up that field in Port Orchard and it is very close to where I am, which is pretty neat since I thought the only field to fly on was the Kitsap ARCS. I have flown at some county parks around here, but all of them say "no RC aircraft" so it will be nice to not have to worry!! I will be buying a foamie very soon. Do you know how to get a hold of someone to join the Eflaps club??
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:15 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Tubster.

Call Rod Leap 206-550-7807. I fly my heli with him at times and he knows the proper people to call. They meet at the Bremerton Airport around 7 pm on the last Thursday of the month. I normally don't attend, as I teach Tacosa Eskrima, (a Martial arts class) in Tacoma on Thursdays evenings. EFlaps is worth the few bucks to join. The Water Ln field is owned by the Water Co and you must belong to EFlaps and hold an AMA licence for the insurance or we will be kicked out. They also have a field at the Bremerton fairgrounds and now one in Gig Harbor. They are a real loose group and not very political. If at all.

Not a bad group of very laid-back modelers. only about 8 members. Some are quite experience builders, but most of them have moved over to hand launch glliders. Used to be a bigger club until the economy changed and political b.s. almost elliminated them. They are trying to make a comeback and your interest would be well-appreciated. A budding 3D Foamie group would be pretty neat for these guys.

Chris A
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about getting into a DW 40 fusion Juka! When I start adding up the buy in I find that it's really expensive, considering you still have to build it once it arrives. About $250 for the kit, power system, and good servos. Throw in a couple of batteries, landing gear, paint, CA tax, shipping, and some control rod stuff and you're talking over $400. Thank goodness I have a dx6i tx or it would go up to $550! Ouch!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:57 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about getting into a DW 40 fusion Juka! When I start adding up the buy in I find that it's really expensive, considering you still have to build it once it arrives. About $250 for the kit, power system, and good servos. Throw in a couple of batteries, landing gear, paint, CA tax, shipping, and some control rod stuff and you're talking over $400. Thank goodness I have a dx6i tx or it would go up to $550! Ouch!

Blu
Realy? I figure it at about $155.00 + shipping and Tax.
You don't have to throw in Landing gear and paint. Push rods and hardware come in the kit.
Already have a the radio, TX and RX? then this is definetly buildable for around $200.00 or less.
I picked Servos and motor combo from DW.
Paint BTW is a staple of the shop, to be used on more than one kit. At least in my book, like glue, tape etc.

MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Realy? I figure it at about $155.00 + shipping and Tax.
You don't have to throw in Landing gear and paint. Push rods and hardware come in the kit.
Already have a the radio, TX and RX? then this is definetly buildable for around $200.00 or less.
I picked Servos and motor combo from DW.
Paint BTW is a staple of the shop, to be used on more than one kit. At least in my book, like glue, tape etc.

MIke R
Sorry, in my $250 figure that includes a Spektrum AR600 at $60. The power and servo systems price is from DW (hs65hb's). It still comes close to $400. I'm sure the plane is great but 250 to 300 would be more reasonable for a electric kit, just saying.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, in my $250 figure that includes a Spektrum AR600 at $60. The power and servo systems price is from DW (hs65hb's). It still comes close to $400. I'm sure the plane is great but 250 to 300 would be more reasonable for a electric kit, just saying.
Nods to that, I certainly understand we all have to work in our budgets.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
Dr.
Nederland, NB, Grave
Joined Jul 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, in my $250 figure that includes a Spektrum AR600 at $60. .

Why not this one, The OrangeRx 6ch from HK instead of the spektrum AR600.
How far let you fly the plane away from you.
I have 2 of those and they work very good on my planes and DX6i.
And the price is quit a difference.
But if you only want original parts of spektrum than I have said nothing.
HaeMKa is offline Find More Posts by HaeMKa
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:25 AM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
I have had better luck with the $5.99 orange rx receivers than I have had with original spektrum gear. I have one in my dad's fun cub and he flies it practically out of sight on a regular basis, never had no problems never I also run them in my 40" jukas with no issues either
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:34 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Run some HTX900's. You can outfit all servos using HXT900s for the cost of just one HS-65. I'm running them and love them.

Plane + ESC/motor = $125
HXT900s = $25
3 x 3S 1000mah 30C lipos = $30
Orange receiver = $10
Misc shipping, taxes, stuff I forgot = $25

You're looking at closer to $200ish, not including radio. But with most things RC, upfront investment is expensive, but most equipment can be used. i.e. if you crash this one beyond repair, everything should be able to be transferrable to a new plane.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions guys. Mike just got back to me and suggested the lower cost servos as well, and he also suggested the 300 Extra XL 40" for my skill level. I think he's right as I don't think I'll get to the hardcore 3D level some of you madmen are at.

Blu
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:57 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,607 Posts
Hi Bluhammer,

Just remember to compare apples to apples. The cost of the receiver and lipo batts is a sunk cost you'll need to spend regardless of the air frame. But for plane, esc, motor, and 4 hxt 900 servos at $150 total is a heck of deal. You'll be hard pressed to find something with similar size and equipment at that price that flies better than a 40" DW. The kit also comes with great hardware that you won't have to upgrade...something I've had to do often with the "other" kits. Keep in mind that Mike at DW Foamies is THE MAN and will take care of you.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Hi Bluhammer,

Just remember to compare apples to apples. The cost of the receiver and lipo batts is a sunk cost you'll need to spend regardless of the air frame. But for plane, esc, motor, and 4 hxt 900 servos at $150 total is a heck of deal. You'll be hard pressed to find something with similar size and equipment at that price that flies better than a 40" DW. The kit also comes with great hardware that you won't have to upgrade...something I've had to do often with the "other" kits. Keep in mind that Mike at DW Foamies is THE MAN and will take care of you.
You're right, I know I'll have a blast with it. I wish I didn't have to invest in another size of battery. I've got plenty of 2200mah and micro batts, I guess one more is not going to kill me.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I'll vouch for the HXT sevos. Been running them in a 450 heli for over a year with no problems. Have them in my Stryker and my dw 40" Extra 300 foamy. Also have orange recievers in both planes and never a problem. (they both range check at 40' without the satillite). (Spectrum states 30' range check is ok)!

I also have a TON to learn to be a 3D pilot. Just put my 2nd pak thru it this morning at High rate full range on the control surfaces and even with 40% expo it is still a bit squirrley. At low rates (50% throw) and 20% Expo, This plane is a pussycat!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
High control rates and expo survey

I did a quick flight today with full control throws and 40% expo and am still a bit shacky when it comes to smooth turns and overall control. I can fly it an land it safely, but it is still not a pretty picture.

What rates are youse guys flying with? (especially in the beginning).

Also, what mix settings are you using for Knive edge, etc?

Trying to fly daily while the weather holds up.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:11 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
As much as I can get with the throws set to 150% on my radio, and between 25 and 35% expo is what I like on my Jukas. Once you get the CG right you will need very little mixing
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec