HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
The Yak Daddy
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I left a message on the DW site 3 days ago for advice on their planes and power systems. How long does it usually take to get a response from them? I really want to buy one of their systems but need a few questions answered.

Blu
I've been waiting almost 2 weeks. I even sent a follow up email reminding him earlier this week...still waiting.

All the guys on this thread seem to tell everyone that Mike is great about responding...but that has not been my experience so far. To be fair, Mike did respond to an alert by "one of his team who saw me asking on RCG" saying that he would get with me after he returned from TAS...but it has been almost a week since then w/ no contact.

Hopefully, there is a good reason for the delays. I would hate to think this is how new/prospective customers are treated.
Low_N_Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low_N_Slow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Email him and you will get a faster response. I almost carried on a conversation once he got back to me so fast one day when I happened to catch him at his computer.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
From what i've seen, Mike gets pretty busy!!! and with TAS, and other events going on out that way this time year, it's even busyer for him. i found if u send him an email, it might take a little bit for a responce but there is a good reason. cause out his way it's crazy, just like around here the time of year for Joe Nall, SEFF and other events in April to June months.
but i do know this, wheather u send him an email, or call and leave a message, at some point he will get back to you!!
Cause the service that Mike provides at DW is the greatest!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2001
472 Posts
Mia

Hey guys, Mike here from DW. We left for the Tucson Shootout last Thursday, setup shop and had a great weekend. Upon returning home on Monday, I learned that we lost one of our own in a fatal car accident while returning from the TAS. Donnie Leseberg has been a part of Team DW for as long as I can remember, he was also a great friend. Between the loss of Donnie and sales going through the roof, I have been overwhelmed this week. I should have some time this weekend to catch up on my e-mail list. Id suggest that you visit http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68183 to get the details. I have also put a tribute to Donnie up on our site.

Thanks for understanding,
Mike
www.DWFoamies.com
electric-2000 is offline Find More Posts by electric-2000
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
hey mike, sorry to hear of your loss.

On another note, will you guys be at the huckfest in Lodi this year?

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
I didn't know Donnie personaly, but saw him fly at the basin.

My sincere condolences to his family and thoughts are with them.

Mike r

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric-2000 View Post
Hey guys, Mike here from DW. We left for the Tucson Shootout last Thursday, setup shop and had a great weekend. Upon returning home on Monday, I learned that we lost one of our own in a fatal car accident while returning from the TAS. Donnie Leseberg has been a part of Team DW for as long as I can remember, he was also a great friend. Between the loss of Donnie and sales going through the roof, I have been overwhelmed this week. I should have some time this weekend to catch up on my e-mail list. Id suggest that you visit http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68183 to get the details. I have also put a tribute to Donnie up on our site.

Thanks for understanding,
Mike
www.DWFoamies.com
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:12 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
New to 3D

Hey guys, I do not own a DW Foamies plane, but I have been doing my research and they seem to be one of the best companies out there. Any tips on a plane that would be good for entry to the '3D world'? I have experience with 4 channel parkflyers, but still somewhat new to flying. Also, anyone know of any good areas to fly their foamies in the Kitsap Area? I fly in a park in Port Orchard, Wa that have signs on the gates that say 'No RC Aircrafts or Fireworks'... why they are in the same category I have no idea. Thanks guys.
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hi Tubbster, Welcome to the DW World!!!! I will one the first to tell you that the foamies that DW sells are the finest in the foamie world!!! I've probally built or flown every foamie out there!!! I've had foamies from big name company to guys sells them at events that produced them from out of their garage with a cutter!!! the quality of the cutting and the hardware that comes with DW is top notch!!! the 40" size foamies are a great get into foamie size. they are sold in two versions. one is all depron and the other is called the Fusion kits, they have depron wings and tail feathers but the fuse is epp. if you are new getting into the foam/3-d world the fusion line is the way to go. the diffrence is the the all depron planes are a bit more rigid. but the fusion planes can take a beating and keep going, it's grat if your learning a new 3-d manuver and dumb thumb it, just pick it up maybe staight the epp out and keep flying!!! in terms of gear, Mike sells some great gear. if you are on a bugget the dynamo line of motors and esc's are great but if u want power the scorpion motors are very powerfull, just a few more dollars than the dynamo. and there are some great servos called Hextroniks, they are under $10 each and are great for the 40" planes, ae strong and have good speed and centering!!! he also carries hitec and futaba servos. he also has all the glues you will need and hinging tape!
pretty much Mike has you covered on anything you need for your foamie!!!
hope you get you a DW Foamie and enjoy it!!!
here is a pic of my two 40" planes. the yak is a great 3-d plane thatlooks great in the air and the extra is a great percision/3-d plane. but if you want something a big wilder, go with a Juka!!! flips so good it will almost eat it's tail!!

Mikey
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Oct 2011
85 Posts
Thanks for the info Mikey! I like those planes yah got...especially the Seahawks colors!! I have used the Hextronics servos in my Hobbyzone Super Cub that I modified with ailerons, they do work great and they are dirt cheap. Will those hextronics fit the servo mounts that dw sells for the hs-55 servos?
Tubbster85 is offline Find More Posts by Tubbster85
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:14 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
HXT 900's are the exact same size as the hs55's
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:37 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbster85 View Post
Thanks for the info Mikey! I like those planes yah got...especially the Seahawks colors!! I have used the Hextronics servos in my Hobbyzone Super Cub that I modified with ailerons, they do work great and they are dirt cheap. Will those hextronics fit the servo mounts that dw sells for the hs-55 servos?
Yes, they fit in perfectly.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
are the fusion type birds a combination of epp and depron? I want the rigidity of depron.

if its a combo of the two, how much is epp and how much is depron?

thanks,
tim
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Tubbster. Great to have another newbee in the area. I fly at a field on water lane SE. (off Salmonberry) in Port Orchard. It is a large field that a small local park flying club (EFlaps) has permission to use (as long as you have an AMA Card) as it is an AMA parklyer field (EFlapps has pretty much moved to gliders, but they are cheap $20.00 per year to join and have a few good fields). I like the Water ln silte, it is the size of 3 football fields and nobody uses it. Also, there is a full blown club, Kitsap ARCS. That I will also join in Jan.

However, I seem to be happiest as a schoolyard flyer. The only problem is that it gets a bit lonely at times.

I'm flying the 40" 9mm Edge 300. (Will also buy a Depron version soon). Great airplane and on low rates, very, very, easy to fly. Mad Mikey pretty much says it all...
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Twilkers, the all depron kits ar $69.95. if u want a Fusion kit it's plus $8. the main diffrence is the fusion planes will take more abuse, verus the all depron. the advantage of the all depron, is it's a little more rigid than the epp. but if your new to 3-d or foamies the fusions are a great way to go!

Mikey
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
Twilkers, the all depron kits ar $69.95. if u want a Fusion kit it's plus $8. the main diffrence is the fusion planes will take more abuse, verus the all depron. the advantage of the all depron, is it's a little more rigid than the epp. but if your new to 3-d or foamies the fusions are a great way to go!

Mikey
I want to fully abuse this foamie to learn more 3D stuff. I found another thread showing what is epp, seems the front half of the vertical fuse and some of the horizontal fuse is EPP. the wing and tail are depron.

I was hoping to hear more from people that have the fusion and how it has stood up to actual abuse but haven't seen much from actual practice yet. still looking.

I like the idea, just want to know if it lives up to the promise without sacrificing rigidity.

tim