HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hi Twilkers. please keep in mind i only have a few flights on the Extra but i've done bout everything you can do with it. and the yak ive flown for about 4 months now.
to be very honest both these planes fly alot alike. the main diffrence would be the extra does better percision stuff. the yak 55m has a bit bigger elevator than the extra with helps out with extreme 3-d stuff, the yak is a bit more extreme than the extra. they both are very stable in harriers and hovers. the extra knife edges a little easier than the yak, the yak does sweet rolling harriers and blenders, flips and spins. the extra also goes into blenders very easy and very flat.
really it comes down to what kind of plane you want. if you like the shape of extra's or edge's then the extra would be a good choice.
if you like the shape of the su-29 or the yak 55 then it would be your choice. another diffrence between these two planes are the yak 55m has counter balances on the elevator and the ailerons, which really helps at slow speed stuff. they both have counter balances on the rudder.
now if your just getting into foamies and learning then the depron/epp kits called the fusions would be great choice. the fuses will take alot of abuse and not break or get hurt. i the two i have are all depron, they only diffrene is the all deprons are a little more rigid, which reduces any flex in the fuse. but i your learning then the fusions would be a good choice!!!
but as i said these plane are alot like very little diffrences, alot of it is up to you!!!

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
thanks for the synopsis Mikey.

My dilemna is I like both ends of the precision/3D spectrum. The foamie idea for me is to give a less risky way to practice unfamiliar things, and more time to figure it out along the way.

I like the idea of the counterbalances on the 55M so biasing in that direction now just a little bit now.

tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Either one you decided on you will be very happy.
on another note have you thought about what gear you will use? on my yak i used gear i already had, which was hitec 55's and 1 65 sevos and a common sense rc motor/esc set-up. buton the extra i used servos and motor that Mike sells. i used the Hextroniks servos and a dynamo motor. the motor has lots of power and the servos are very smooth and strong!!!
if you don't have the gear you need DW has pretty much everything you need to get going!!

Mikey
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
regarding gear, the batts and servos will be the same as on my 41" edge(buck huck), 3S1350 and hitec hs65HB. I have a spare spectrum 6110e rx. I think I have a 30A phoenix ESC, so all I would need is the motor.

do you have any experience with the cobra motor?

tim
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i havn't had any with the cobra motors yet, but from what i hear they are new. they are sold by the same company that sells the scorpion motors. now i have had experience with scorpions motors. i have an scorpion motor that you would use on the 40" foamies. now i have never used on a dw foamie but i have used it on other foamies in the 16 to 20 ounce range and it's a powerfull motor!! but power hungry. and i found it ran better on a 30 amp esc. on a 1300mah 3 cell 30c discharge battery i could only get about 6:30 to 7 mins of flight max!!!
on the extra i am running the 2217-950 Dynamo motor and an 30 amp esc or u can run a 25 amp esc. on my 1300 3 cell 30c packs i get 8 minutes and still have some left. when i charge it back i usually only put 875 to 925 mah back in the pack. so it still has some left!!! also on the motor i'm using on my yak, which is an common sense rc motor on an 20amp esc i get 8 minutes and use about 900 mah to charge it back up!!!
like i sid i'm not sure about the cobra motors. i would look at all it's numbers and see how it compairs to the scorpion and the dynamo.
a buddy of mine has an 51" AJ Slick with scorpion motor and he had to use an 70 amp esc and on 2600 4 cell packs, it about sucked it dry. they are great powerfull motors but will cut into your fight time due to they use alot of power!!!
even saying that i would still use a scorpion motor any day, cause who can have too much power!!! LOL

Mikey
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:10 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
I have a 60A esc in my 51" slick and it's plenty. I've got like 200 flights on the gear, although I'm on the second airframe. I only do about 6 minutes.

found my phoenix 35 just now, so I'll need to look at motors next.

tim
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i'd go with the dynamo motor, i think the website says it's like $28. and i'm very impressed with mine. i use a apc 10x4.7 slow flyer prop and i have lots of power!!! also mike sells extra shafts and bearings for thses motors!!

Mikey
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
thanks for the synopsis Mikey.

My dilemna is I like both ends of the precision/3D spectrum. The foamie idea for me is to give a less risky way to practice unfamiliar things, and more time to figure it out along the way.

I like the idea of the counterbalances on the 55M so biasing in that direction now just a little bit now.

tim

you cant go wrong with a juka
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
do you have any experience with the cobra motor?

tim
I'm running a Cobra motor on my 40" DW. I like it. I see that DW is offering the cobra motors, I'm using a higher Kv one than they're selling (mine is 1127 kv). I'm getting ~240W @ 22A on a 10x5 APC-e prop. Needless to say, there is no shortage of power! So far I like the Cobra motors.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
WOW 240 watts @ 22 amps!! that sounds like some serious power!!! bet it pulls your foamie around great!!!

Mikey
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
WOW 240 watts @ 22 amps!! that sounds like some serious power!!! bet it pulls your foamie around great!!!

Mikey
Yeah, its pretty nuts!! Never a shortage of power here!
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,014 Posts
I left a message on the DW site 3 days ago for advice on their planes and power systems. How long does it usually take to get a response from them? I really want to buy one of their systems but need a few questions answered.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Email Mike for a direct and hasty response
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Email Mike for a direct and hasty response
'
I did, unless there's another email address for him that's different then whats on their web site?

HEY MIKE! ARE YOU OUT THERE?
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:22 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
I emailed a few days ago and also have gotten no response. I'm wondering if he's traveling from san diego to Lodi for the huckfest. I'm going there tomorrow in hope of bringing something home.

tim