SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 07, 2011, 06:27 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Bryan, I did that one with paint and foam brush:

http://www.amazon.com/Advantage-4-Ou...021883&sr=1-59

Those work pretty well. But lately I've been using the paint pens. The down side to the paint pens is they are pricey. BTW the acrylic paints are pretty water resistant but surprisingly the paint pens smudge when wet.

An easy way to get more striking contrasts is to use regular black sharpie for pinstriping. Leave a little white space between colors and stripes for max effect.
Thank you for the info!

Which plane did you do with the paint pens?

Here's my only experience "painting" with Sharpies:

Build-up 074 by bryanewyatt, on Flickr
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:02 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Another all 9MM 40" Extra!

Name: 10-7-11 132.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 112.1 KB
Description:

Name: 10-7-11 133.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 113.5 KB
Description:

Been busy as ever at work, so it took a bit longer to get my new foamy fuse togeter and transfer my wing to it. Except for positioning the battery for balance it's ready to go. Definately a stronger and more rigid model!

As I live in Gig Harbor, WA. I gotta get some 3D lessons from some of you local guys, So far, I am only flying easy patterns and getting used to a plank after playing with Heli's for a bit (and I am not all great with that either)!

Funny, When I was last into planks back in the 1980's and early 90's we used to thumb our noses at any "ARF" airplane and Foam was for the kiddies! Man! how things have changed. Here I am with 2 foam planks that both fly legions better than any of the built up kits I made in the past! Not to mention the technology upgrades, cheap internet models and components. Great time to be in RC!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:19 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Chris, your extra is looking good!! i can't wait to get mine in the air, hopefully it will be in te next day or so.

Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:30 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_N_Slow View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. What is your set-up (motor, esc, battery, etc)? What is your take on the similarities and/or differences between the two planes?

-Jeff
I used a Scorpion 2215-1040 with 10 X 4.7 APC, 18amp ESC and a 1000 mah pack.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:09 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Attachment 4332038

Attachment 4332039

Been busy as ever at work, so it took a bit longer to get my new foamy fuse togeter and transfer my wing to it. Except for positioning the battery for balance it's ready to go. Definately a stronger and more rigid model!

As I live in Gig Harbor, WA. I gotta get some 3D lessons from some of you local guys, So far, I am only flying easy patterns and getting used to a plank after playing with Heli's for a bit (and I am not all great with that either)!

Funny, When I was last into planks back in the 1980's and early 90's we used to thumb our noses at any "ARF" airplane and Foam was for the kiddies! Man! how things have changed. Here I am with 2 foam planks that both fly legions better than any of the built up kits I made in the past! Not to mention the technology upgrades, cheap internet models and components. Great time to be in RC!
Chris, you members at Kitsap ARCs in Port Orchard? If not no biggie, you can guest it. Nate and I should meet you there for some foamy flying and maybe some big stuff too.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:40 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Flopgun!

Thanks for the offer. I will look into Kitsap Arcs. I already belong to the Olympia Silent Flyers as I do a lot of work in that area and I will load my heli or a foamy into the car and grab an hour or so for a break and some fun. However, I should look into a local club as well. I run my own business and some guys have days off and I seem to have to get by with hours off, here and there, between business, family and such.

Will check them out, planning on joining anyway. Is there a pattern time wise, when you are usually at the field? (I know where it is). I am busy Saturday and am planning to get my DW in the air sometime Sunday. (Weather permitting)?
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
hey guys, I'm finishing up on my 40" extra 300L. the final steps to finishing the plane should be on the build thread in the next day or two. i made the landig gear taday and once i get the wheel pants and gear flaring painted and on this is going to be one sweet bird, so keep an eye on the thread to see how it came out.
i have an quetion for guys running landing gears on the 40" planes. what are ya'll using as an tail skid? cause without one you would grind the rudder off. on my 40" yak 55m i just used a piece of carbon tubing about 3mm, but i hate the way it sounds on an paved runway. so what are you guys doing that might help me out. or if you could post a pic of your tail skids.
thanks so much
Mikey
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
on my 40" yak 55m i'm using a bit of a diffrent setup for motor and esc. i'm using an common sence rc motor and esc. now the motor i'm using i think they discontinued. it's the E5-L-10, i think i'm pretty sure thats the number fot ir, for esc it's also comon sence it's an 25 amp. with an apc 10x4.7 prop. on 25 to 30c batterys get awesome power!! anyone looking for a set-up might want to take a look at what they got, on my new extra 300L i'm using a setup mik sells, it's the dynamo 2217-950. and i'll be using an 25 amp esc.

Mikey
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeyreturns View Post
hey guys, I'm finishing up on my 40" extra 300L. the final steps to finishing the plane should be on the build thread in the next day or two. i made the landig gear taday and once i get the wheel pants and gear flaring painted and on this is going to be one sweet bird, so keep an eye on the thread to see how it came out.
i have an quetion for guys running landing gears on the 40" planes. what are ya'll using as an tail skid? cause without one you would grind the rudder off. on my 40" yak 55m i just used a piece of carbon tubing about 3mm, but i hate the way it sounds on an paved runway. so what are you guys doing that might help me out. or if you could post a pic of your tail skids.
thanks so much
Mikey
I just put a little strip of CF on the last inch of the rudder. It weighs practically nothing. Protects the bottom from grinding.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:43 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
I have been wondering about the rudder when on the ground as well. Almost trimed it for clearance last night, but wisely decided against that dumb move. Tried to glue in a tail dragger set up from an large paper clip. (Failure)! Will go with the Carbon Fiber skin.

Also, I am curious about making the pants for my wheels. Can't wait to see em on your bird! After all, you just can't walk otta da house without yer pant on!
Got little 1 1/2 inch wheels on mine and personally, I think that the 2 inchers would look better. As far as axle stays, I just used shrink tubing and a bit of epoxy on the ends to hold the wheels on the axles. (super light)!
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
hey Chris, i finished painting the wheel pants a bit ago and they look great. i mak my landing gear using a carbo fiber tube, and doing an x thru the lower fuse up into the horizontal fuse bottom. for axles i use a 4-40 all thread rod. what i do is this.... cut an all thread about 2 inchs long, bent the angle for the leg and the axle. i then epoxy the threaded part up into the carbon tube. don't use alot of glue but not too little cause u want it to handle landings over time. after the epoxy is set-up ( i use 5 min epoxy) i take a kevlar thread i have and wrap it about 1 inch up the gear leg where the threads are, i do this to help support the carbon. nothing worse than a carbon landing gear leg splitting and the kevlar thread really help. i wrap it 1 layer down and 5 to 7 wraps around the all thread right were it goes into the tube then 1 more layer back up then coat it with a thin coat of ca. now to mae it look pretty. i take heat shrink and cover just where the thread is. so the wrapping doesn't show. i use 4-40 lock nuts on both sides of the wheel. i cut out a wheel pant.
now heres my wheel pants trick i learned, took me about 6 years t learn but since i've had rock solid pants!!! i take a peice of 1/8" ply and cut a square about 5/16" x 5/16". i then drill and tap it for 4-40. cut out the outline for the ply in the pant so it's more in the foam, not just glued on the side of it. i then put some thin ca in the threads and screw it on the axle up against the 4-40 lock nut. usually it's very tight, but if the threads came out real good u can put a touch of ca on the axle then screw the pant on and it's there!!!
I've done about every way possible to put a wheel pants on from behind the wheel to what ever i found this way works great!! now if your not using an all thread axle u can take an wheel collar and glue it to the pants, that works pretty good too.
here are some pics of the new wheel pants and flarings for the extra. the 3rd pic is of my yak 55m and the finished result

hope this helps
Mikey
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
i really don't like putting a skid on the rudder itself cause then it puts alot more pressure on the hinge line and when taxiing the rudder servo. i've had servos strip and hinge lines messed up from this.
mikey
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
i really don't like putting a skid on the rudder itself cause then it puts alot more pressure on the hinge line and when taxiing the rudder servo. i've had servos strip and hinge lines messed up from this.
mikey
Don't know about you, but even with the gear, I hand launch mine, I only put gear on to make landings easier. I land it at my feet and then pick it up, so there's never much pressure on hinge line. But if you're taxiing with it, then definitely put some sort of skid or tail wheel on.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
well i just say that cause soetimes i'm at some feilds were i can't really come in close to catch it, and at one field i fly at somtimes even foamies have to follow procedure just ike a 40 nitro plane. seems weird but from what i've been told people have been hit before by a guy trying to hover in and catch it andthe wind got him. really thats th only reason i put gears and all on. plus i think a plane is dead sexy with some nice wheel pants and flarings!! lol

Mikey
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
well i just say that cause soetimes i'm at some feilds were i can't really come in close to catch it, and at one field i fly at somtimes even foamies have to follow procedure just ike a 40 nitro plane. seems weird but from what i've been told people have been hit before by a guy trying to hover in and catch it andthe wind got him. really thats th only reason i put gears and all on. plus i think a plane is dead sexy with some nice wheel pants and flarings!! lol

Mikey
Oh, I see. My field is a lot more lenient with these things. No grab and catches, but you can fly it into your feet, especially if its not busy.