HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.45%
DW SKUA 28 4.79%
DW 38" kit 175 29.97%
DW 48" kit 154 26.37%
DW 55" kit 70 11.99%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:39 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your Wife rcnxs, flying has been my therapy and is always good to get the mind off the troubles of life. I had a lot of wing rock on my 40" Juka and finally figured out that I had the ailerons both trimmed down a little so they were acting like flaps, put a little reflex in them, (both going up from straight on the wing) and took all the wing rock away and was rock solid from then on. I would try that with a neutral CG and see how that works.

Sam
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:10 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,487 Posts
It's not just about CG in one direction (axis)! (there are actually 3)

The one balance parameter often missed and critical on super light foamies is lateral. With all the controls centered and battery installed, set the plane on the ground, put a straight edge under the prop shaft and lift the nose up. The plane should balance sided to side, if it doesn't, this will affect wing rock, knife edge, harrier, etc. because both the airframe and the pilot are constantly battling the force this creates.

Give it a try!

rcnsx - very sorry to hear about your wife, please accept my condolences.
mark_q
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:24 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
really sorry about your wife, rcnsx. Keep flying, it's therapeutic.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
Hey Guys, here's a little teaser. this is the wing of my new project i'm working on. it's the new version of the 40" Extra 300L. what makes it new is there is no longer any 6mm foam, it's all 9mm foam!!! this was my first time airbrushing lighting bolts and i feel they came out pretty good formy first time!!
i have a build thread on here and you can follow the building of the plane from start t finish.

Keep Your Dw's in the Air!!
Mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
New motor

I'm moving over the dynamo motor/esc over to a new DW foamie. I want to buy a cheap motor/esc to put in the old one. Its the 40" Yak Fusion. Would this motor be appropriate? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

Is there another one that would be better suited from HK?
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:37 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I don't think you'll be happy with that one, not enough power. It's only 52 grams.

I would be looking for something from 65-90 grams. The Dynamo is 72 grams.

This one I've used on a 10x6 and is pretty good but out of stock.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5112

There's always another Dynamo.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:26 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Another option: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FMotor.html
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
I've never really picked out a motor before. How does weight of the motor factor in? I thought it was about the watts and kv and which props the motor is made for? From what I've read, the 40" need about 200 watts no?
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:35 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I am not that knowledgeable about motors and haven't tried that many in the 40.

I don't pay much attention to the published watt numbers. I look at kv and weight. Depending on kv I will try out props. 10x4.7 11x4.7 or 10x6 are good to try, and kv from 900-1100. Just make sure things aren't getting too hot. Or try what others recommend.

Mark Q or others can maybe chime in, Mark takes measurements on his motors.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Ok, will stay tuned for a few more opinions before I choose a motor.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:46 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Check out hobbypartz for motors. They are in the US and you will get better shipping and probably customer service from them. I have the motor below on my 40" Juka and it has some serious speed on the park zone T-28 prop, as well as a nice punch on the low end. Its a pretty perfect match as far as I'm concerned for a 40" DW. It will hover just below half throttle on a fresh 1350mah 3S pack that I run which is kind of old.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
I'm really looking for a motor from hk as I have to order from there anyways. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:03 AM
The Yak Daddy
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Hey guys! I'm trying to select my 1st DW Foamy. I tried to e-mail DW through the website & haven't heard back after a couple of days...so I thought I would try here.

I primarily fly GS gas and usually fly a good mix of low & slow 3D and precision "stuff". I am looking for something to play around with in the back yard, so floaty super low & close3D, slow HAKE, tight radius rolling harriers, etc. is what I'm looking for.

I have a Hacker A20-20l, CC Thunderbird 18 ESC, plenty of the tiny blue servos (both hitec & HK) and a pile of 3S 1000mah 20C & 3S 1350mah 15C packs. I really want something that can use my existing gear. I'm retiring my 3rd Charger RC foamy, all of which have served me very well...but I keep hearing great things about DW and want to give one a shot.

I'm a "Yak-a-holic", so naturally my 1st choice would be a Yak 55...but I read SO MUCH good stuff about the Juka, that I would definitely consider that as well. My main concern is selecting the right size plane for my gear & making sure that I am getting best performing foamy I can.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated!
-Jeff
Low_N_Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low_N_Slow
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
Mike is good about returning info , but if he is away, it may take a few. I called him and got good advice.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:54 AM
The Yak Daddy
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Sep 2008
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Mike is good about returning info , but if he is away, it may take a few. I called him and got good advice.
Thanks for that. I have not tried calling, but I will if I don't hear back in a few more days. I am really interested in hearing you guys' opinions on the perfect DW match for my gear.

BTW - I'm really liking the 9mm 40" Yak 55. Just not sure if I have enough motor???
Low_N_Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low_N_Slow