HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.46%
DW SKUA 28 4.80%
DW 38" kit 174 29.85%
DW 48" kit 154 26.42%
DW 55" kit 70 12.01%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.54%
Never owned one 208 35.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:53 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
I got my DX8 with the bonus receiver. It didn't have any of the recalls. So far it's performed flawlessly.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:54 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsdeer4fun View Post
I don't like the roller system of the Dx6 and Dx8. If they had made a Dx7 with all the telemetry and whatnot with triple rates it would have been awesome. I think it took me about a week and half to two week sot get the board replaced on my Dx7, so don't worry too much it will be back soon.
The new DX7 does have one triple rate switch with telemetry i believe.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:55 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I haven't looked too closely at them recently, so I could be wrong. All I know is, no Dx8 for me.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:15 AM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I got my DX8 with the bonus receiver. It didn't have any of the recalls. So far it's performed flawlessly.
That's good. Mine didn't have PID so I didn't know if it was affected by the recall, but the aileron channel would twitch and not center; so I needed to send it in anyways. Hopefully it gets fixed and all is well, b/c I really love this radio.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
heres the second flight with the DW raven with VPP

DW Foamies RAVEN 34" with VPP flown at Sepulveda Basin (3 min 20 sec)
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Good job Santiago, Our local hot shot at the basin!

But I think you need more throw on those ailerons, LMAO!

MIke & Robert.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
Another motor post

OK, so I got the Motrofly 2610 and a BP2217-8 to test against the awesome but noisy and short lived* Sonic Electric unit. I snap-shotted the test bench results in the picts and it looks interesting. I suppose I should get the Dynamo and a Cobra in there as well. All testing was done at a constant voltage using a single 10 x 4.7 APCsf prop.

All three of these motors work great and will fly the 40" planes really well. The Motrofly would also likely be excellent on a 48". The BPHobbies unit gives the most bang for the buck and it is the lightest one here. With the 10x4.7 it will run on the warm side but these motors (which look very much like the Dynamo units) have a reputaion for being very durable.

*The Sonic lives again! I had to machine an oversized shaft to get the bell wobble to go away and I added some higher precision bearings. We'll see how long it stays quiet...

Cheers - Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:28 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Motrofly put out the most thrust at the lowest current, which would make it a more versatile (if not better) motor.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:58 AM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Moved my CG to 1/4" behind the spar on my 40" Juka and it hovers 1000% better than before. Even took it to the lake and was hovering over the water and the plane was making me look good again. I'm going to save the tail dunk for the eNall this weekend.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:48 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Motrofly put out the most thrust at the lowest current, which would make it a more versatile (if not better) motor.
The Motrofly is by far the better motor. These motors are all hand wound (picture) and have oversized shafts (5mm!) and bearings. Also, the larger diameter provides for an improved coefficient of torque (Kt) which means less current (more efficient). They really are a fine piece of work! (and yes, a little pricey).
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:09 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
DWF and VPP / 4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago3d92095 View Post
heres the second flight with the DW raven with VPP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4IZVdiaYg

Santiago- awesome, dude.

Yesterday, before I saw your vid, I was looking at this:
SultimateVPP (7 min 19 sec)

I got totally smitten w/ the thought of 4D.

So I'll ask you guys, and maybe need to ask Mike Morgan...what about it? Anybody ('sides Santiago) stuck a VPP on the nose of a DWF??
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:24 AM
The "Foaminator"
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Absolutely awesome flying and technology, love it.
But man this goes against the grain of safety, flying over peoples heads is a big risk.
I know and you know we all feel these are pretty safe but man one glitch in the radio, and take the little girl that reached out to it.....

You get my point.

MIke R

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Santiago- awesome, dude.

Yesterday, before I saw your vid, I was looking at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_xaX...layer_embedded

I got totally smitten w/ the thought of 4D.

So I'll ask you guys, and maybe need to ask Mike Morgan...what about it? Anybody ('sides Santiago) stuck a VPP on the nose of a DWF??
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
The Motrofly is by far the better motor. These motors are all hand wound (picture) and have oversized shafts (5mm!) and bearings. Also, the larger diameter provides for an improved coefficient of torque (Kt) which means less current (more efficient). They really are a fine piece of work! (and yes, a little pricey).
Cool

I just honestly didn't know how to analyze the workbench data.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
But man this goes against the grain of safety, flying over peoples heads is a big risk.
I know and you know we all feel these are pretty safe but man one glitch in the radio, and take the little girl that reached out to it.....

You get my point.

MIke R
Sure do; myself I certainly would even take off (backwards/ inverted!!) with anybody anywhere near...but wow Mike needs to design a DW 4D model!!
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
I agree, that is some wicked cool stuff!! I wonder about the reliability of it though?

Quote:

You get my point.

MIke R
Couldn't agree more, seems there are a ton of videos posted with all sorts of unsafe flying, over crowds/people, over cars, over houses, etc. It's just one glitch, or battery failure, or busted servo away from having a potentially serious accident. Unfortunately that many just don't seem to care or notice the dangers in these videos. [/rant]
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste