SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.48%
DW SKUA 28 4.81%
DW 38" kit 173 29.73%
DW 48" kit 154 26.46%
DW 55" kit 70 12.03%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 208 35.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:26 PM
Close enough
AtomicFlyer's Avatar
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
I mean, what are we talking? Does she fly sluggish like a dog w/ the gear on? What motor you got?

Guess what I'll do is maiden with the gear on and just learn it that way...maybe then I won't (I hope) know the difference...??
I put gear on my 38" Yak and noticed reduced roll rate. The other thing is that even though I had a skid on the rear, the rudder got chewed up a bit by the asphalt. I went back to belly landing on the grass.

But it was fun to do touch and gos with the gear on.

Once you glue on the two PVC stiffeners that come with the gear, it's easy to take the gear off and on again with just a couple plastic wire ties.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:14 PM
Registered User
Jersey City,NJ
Joined Feb 2008
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Well, this is what I suspected and was hoping not to hear...but there's no way around it (except maybe a more powerful motor??) when you add weight to light planes.

I mean, what are we talking? Does she fly sluggish like a dog w/ the gear on? What motor you got?

Guess what I'll do is maiden with the gear on and just learn it that way...maybe then I won't (I hope) know the difference...??

Not like a dog,but it definitely reacts slower.Doesn't have the same pullout from
A hover.
The Yaks got a Hacker A30-16. Nice and powerful.
sodbuster 1 is offline Find More Posts by sodbuster 1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster 1 View Post
Not like a dog,but it definitely reacts slower.Doesn't have the same pullout from
A hover. The Yaks got a Hacker A30-16. Nice and powerful.


Hmmmm...... ok, next question: how would one compare the stock DW 2810 Outrunner

http://www.dwfoamies.com/index.php?p...art&Itemid=343

w/ your Hacker? Your motor's listed at 330W, but I don't see the watts listed for Mike's motor.

Also- although I doubt the stock Castle esc could handle it, I see that the Dynamo motor is rated for 4S

Maybe that's the ticket? Drop the mah down to 1800 or so (to save weight) and up the volts to 4S??

I'm not loookin to rocket out of a hover...but I do expect the thing to move when I hammer the throttle
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
I never noticed mike's motor being 4s as well. I have a 48" extra 300L with landing gear, and would like to have some more speed at full throttle. Has anyone ran a 48" on 4s? What prop size?
justanewbie is offline Find More Posts by justanewbie
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:39 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanewbie View Post
I never noticed mike's motor being 4s as well. I have a 48" extra 300L with landing gear, and would like to have some more speed at full throttle. Has anyone ran a 48" on 4s? What prop size?


And, if you've run 4S on the stock Dynamo motor, what amp esc?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:54 PM
Team Extreme!
michaelJH's Avatar
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
I ran my 48" 330s (Dynamo motor and 45A ESC) on 3 and 4s. 4s won't give you much more speed though, just mure punch-out power.

For a prop I used a 12x6E.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:04 PM
The "Foaminator"
mikeruth's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,166 Posts
I threw a gear set on a Juka 48" running a Scorpion 3014 on 3 Cells.

Guess what, it's no big deal!!!

What i mean is this, if you need the gear on for what ever your reason, then put it on and go fly. It's not all that bad. I flew this plane with it on and with it off. I don't need it but the guy I let fly it all the time does, and he's as happy as can be now that he is not pokein it into the ground on landings.

So he continues to get better, the plane continues to look the same and everyones happy.

Personally if your good enough to notice the differnece you really don;t need it do you>?

OH and the power difference is almost un-noticeble, along with the slight difference in flight chracteristics.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
I love having the landing gear on my Yak. I used a piece of wire and fabricated a tail wheel for mine and glued it to the rudder and it works great. It taxis nice lands great.
Just an Idea.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:12 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelJH View Post
I ran my 48" 330s (Dynamo motor and 45A ESC) on 3 and 4s. 4s won't give you much more speed though, just mure punch-out power.

For a prop I used a 12x6E.


Michael when you went to 4S, what mah? Less than the 3S?

In terms of speed, I wouldn't think a big foamie's gonna set any records ('sides, I have my fast stuff for that)

It's the puch-out I'd be looking for-

But on 4S, you used the same prop as stock (mine came w/ the apc 12x6E)?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:20 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
I threw a gear set on a Juka 48" running a Scorpion 3014 on 3 Cells.

Guess what, it's no big deal!!!

What i mean is this, if you need the gear on for what ever your reason, then put it on and go fly. It's not all that bad. I flew this plane with it on and with it off. I don't need it but the guy I let fly it all the time does, and he's as happy as can be now that he is not pokein it into the ground on landings.

So he continues to get better, the plane continues to look the same and everyones happy.

Personally if your good enough to notice the differnece you really don;t need it do you>?

OH and the power difference is almost un-noticeble, along with the slight difference in flight chracteristics.


Mike great post..and good to hear! And you're right...I'm intermediate 3D, well past beginner but not yet expert.

My personal reason for gear is practicality: hopefully keeps the foam from getting too banged up on landings (we have a concrete runway at our club)and I'm lazy and like to taxi back!!

However, I fly other stuff that has really high thrust-to-weight ratios so I'm used to having a model jump when I hit the throttle....I'm in the "power good, more power better, too much power is best" camp

It would be nice if the 48" Juka can at hover about 1/2-3/4 throttle (with the LG on), then pull with authority out of hover. Not rocket out, just a strong pull as if... "yep, there's power left over"
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Mike great post..and good to hear! And you're right...I'm intermediate 3D, well past beginner but not yet expert.

My personal reason for gear is practicality: hopefully keeps the foam from getting too banged up on landings (we have a concrete runway at our club)and I'm lazy and like to taxi back!!

However, I fly other stuff that has really high thrust-to-weight ratios so I'm used to having a model jump when I hit the throttle....I'm in the "power good, more power better, too much power is best" camp

It would be nice if the 48" Juka can at hover about 1/2-3/4 throttle (with the LG on), then pull with authority out of hover. Not rocket out, just a strong pull as if... "yep, there's power left over"
I hover right below half throttle. I like it that way it makes me feel more comfortable to know that when I put the throttle to it, it will jump up. I have landing gear on my yak, but a lot of the time I just hover catch it. I still like having the landing gear though. I get in moods once in awhile where I like to do touch and go's. I don't think the difference is enough to worry about with the landing gear. In addition I like that it has landing gear on it just like my bigger planes.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:33 AM
Registered User
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army flyer View Post
but a lot of the time I just hover catch it.


Ok now this screams....VIDEO I know "the catch" is done often & I've seen a few on utube, but still....need a Vid!!!

Army, thx bud. What power system you got? Motor/esc/batt?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:39 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Ok now this screams....VIDEO I know "the catch" is done often & I've seen a few on utube, but still....need a Vid!!!

Army, thx bud. What power system you got? Motor/esc/batt?
I will post a video soon. Right now on my 40" Yak55m I have a eflite park450 with a 25 amp speed controller. I am using gensace 1350Mah batteries that are 25C and an apc slofly 10X4.7 prop. I am about to finish up a 40" juka that will have the 40" Dynamo combo on it. I just finished paint and airfram assembly just waiting on the electronics to get here to finish her up.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:48 AM
Team Extreme!
michaelJH's Avatar
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Michael when you went to 4S, what mah? Less than the 3S?

In terms of speed, I wouldn't think a big foamie's gonna set any records ('sides, I have my fast stuff for that)

It's the puch-out I'd be looking for-

But on 4S, you used the same prop as stock (mine came w/ the apc 12x6E)?
I think I used a 2350, just because I had it already, but you could get away with less.

If you get your setup just right on 3s, it will fly better than on 4s, and will have close to the same amount of power.

I may not have used a 12x6. I don't remember for sure being that it was about 2 years ago.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army flyer View Post
I will post a video soon. Right now on my 40" Yak55m I have a eflite park450 with a 25 amp speed controller. I am using gensace 1350Mah batteries that are 25C and an apc slofly 10X4.7 prop. I am about to finish up a 40" juka that will have the 40" Dynamo combo on it. I just finished paint and airfram assembly just waiting on the electronics to get here to finish her up.
By the way the great thing about the Gens ace batteries is that they can be charged at insanely high amp's. With my board I can charge 5 batteries at 6.2 amps and have them done in 10 minutes without damaging the battery.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DW Foamies - Colored Packing Tape Trim Scheme rpmrpm Painting and Finishing Tips 47 Feb 24, 2013 04:35 PM
Discussion DW foamies BAF 48" yak 54 build thread appleflyer 3D Flying 50 Jul 24, 2012 03:31 PM
Discussion DW Foamies Yak Junior Build Thread NumbSkull 3D Foamies 90 Feb 01, 2012 03:25 PM
Poll DW Foamies owners thread (poll) Xpress.. 3D Flying 132 Mar 26, 2010 11:10 AM
Discussion DW (Depron West) Foamies 38" Gen-X tdriedger 3D Foamies 14 Jan 12, 2010 04:13 PM