HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 60 10.49%
DW SKUA 28 4.90%
DW 38" kit 173 30.24%
DW 48" kit 150 26.22%
DW 55" kit 70 12.24%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.57%
Never owned one 203 35.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
from mike's webpage:

What Servos can I use?
A good rule-of-thumb is to choose a servo with about 1 ounce of torque to every ounce of foamie weight. Example- Your 48in Juka with a weight of 28 ounces will need approximately a 28 ounce torque servo.

so HXTs won't cut it. Go with 65MG or equivalent.

Bingo- thx.
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
On my 40" Yak 55m I use HS65HB in the tail. and HS 55 for the aileron's and it flies great.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army flyer View Post
On my 40" Yak 55m I use HS65HB in the tail. and HS 55 for the aileron's and it flies great.
Thx Army. I have HS55's all the way in my 40" Juka and they take a pounding & do great.

On this post I was looking at servo options for the 48" Juka I just bought.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:32 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
The hxt900s certainly are cheap, but I'm not sure where you got 'junk' from. Many people have used them for a long time and they gave proven them selves to be excellent.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
796 Posts
Hey Guys,
I tore the elevator off my Yak in some tall grass. I cut new parts and everything fits together fine.

But I'm wondering if the voids (holes) cut in the trailing edge of all the control surfaces does something aerodynamically for the plane. My new elevator has a solid trailing edge. Does anyone know if I'm going to detect different flight characteristics because of the new solid elevator?

The photo shows the original elevator that I removed and the new elevator (solid trailing edge) that I installed in its place.

Thanks,
Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer View Post
Hey Guys,
I tore the elevator off my Yak in some tall grass. I cut new parts and everything fits together fine.

But I'm wondering if the voids (holes) cut in the trailing edge of all the control surfaces does something aerodynamically for the plane. My new elevator has a solid trailing edge. Does anyone know if I'm going to detect different flight characteristics because of the new solid elevator?

The photo shows the original elevator that I removed and the new elevator (solid trailing edge) that I installed in its place.

Thanks,
Marc

i would imagine the holes are there to help increase drag on the surface thus increasing effectiveness at low speed?

just guessing but i doubt you feel a difference.
trevjonez is offline Find More Posts by trevjonez
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Marc
I agree. I doubt that you will feel anything. If you look at the new Yak 55M all of the control surfaces are solid.
Army flyer is offline Find More Posts by Army flyer
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
The holes on the control serfaces are somthing Mike used to put on all his old foamies, and they are mainly for increased drag over the serface. It is hardly noticable, and infact I used to tape mine over because it flys a bit better precision. I would't worry about it.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
---
Last edited by poiyt; Aug 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
---
Last edited by poiyt; Aug 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
The hxt900s certainly are cheap, but I'm not sure where you got 'junk' from. Many people have used them for a long time and they gave proven them selves to be excellent.

Red- duly noted...and I retract saying 'cheap'. 'Extremely Inexpensive' may have been better.

I hear over and over again ad infinitum: "you get what you pay for". Regardless, Mike wouldn't sell Hextronic if he didn't endorse & support them.

It's just hard for my feeble brain to accept that a $3 servo performs as well, and presumably for as long, as a 'name brand' $25 servo.

Oh well.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
I was pretty tentative about having $3 servos on my pride and joy foamie that took a long time to paint but I've had two 40" Juka's with HXT900's exclusively with not one issue. My dad also has them in the wings (4) flaps and ailerons and no troubles whatsoever.

I would make up some hitec stickers for you if it would make you feel better
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanExec View Post
I was pretty tentative about having $3 servos on my pride and joy foamie that took a long time to paint but I've had two 40" Juka's with HXT900's exclusively with not one issue. My dad also has them in the wings (4) flaps and ailerons and no troubles whatsoever.

I would make up some hitec stickers for you if it would make you feel better

I hear ya, bro!! I already made up some little Futaba stickers, since my brain can't handle exceptions to the "get what ya pay for" rule!!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Red- duly noted...and I retract saying 'cheap'. 'Extremely Inexpensive' may have been better.

I hear over and over again ad infinitum: "you get what you pay for". Regardless, Mike wouldn't sell Hextronic if he didn't endorse & support them.

It's just hard for my feeble brain to accept that a $3 servo performs as well, and presumably for as long, as a 'name brand' $25 servo.

Oh well.
In most things in this hobby its true, but IMO the cheap HXT900s can't be beat. I've tried cheap everything else, and have gone back to splurging for namebrand stuff as it's usually cheaper in the long run, except for these servos.

I've used maybe 20 or so, and I had one show up that didn't work right. But the ones that I got that worked, have stayed working for tons of hours of flying.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
In most things in this hobby its true, but IMO the cheap HXT900s can't be beat. I've tried cheap everything else, and have gone back to splurging for namebrand stuff as it's usually cheaper in the long run, except for these servos.

I've used maybe 20 or so, and I had one show up that didn't work right. But the ones that I got that worked, have stayed working for tons of hours of flying.

Yep, and I guess that proves there's an exception to every rule (I may have even used this saying a time or two!!).

Too bloody bad the 900's aren't recommended for the 48-incher I'm getting.

Drat!!