HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.48%
DW SKUA 28 4.81%
DW 38" kit 173 29.73%
DW 48" kit 154 26.46%
DW 55" kit 70 12.03%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.55%
Never owned one 208 35.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:56 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I know a lot of glues are slow to cure in cold temperatures. Is the plane cold?
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:57 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Got in 4 flights with my new yak fusion yesterday. Great flying plane! Was hovering on the 2nd flight in moderate wind having never done 3D before. Only problems I have is that it balanced right behind the wing spar with the battery fully forward (is that alright?) and my motor seems to have slight right thrust in it. Maybe a washer under that screw will solve that.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:01 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStarArmy View Post
Got in 4 flights with my new yak fusion yesterday. Great flying plane! Was hovering on the 2nd flight in moderate wind having never done 3D before. Only problems I have is that it balanced right behind the wing spar with the battery fully forward (is that alright?) and my motor seems to have slight right thrust in it. Maybe a washer under that screw will solve that.
Yeah, I think these fusion planes are coming out very tail heavy. Mine balanced at the spar with the pack all the way forward. However, as it turned out that CG for mine has been too far forward anyways. Right now I'm at about 1/8" behind the spar and its still too far forward.
blueapplepaste is online now Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:11 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Redstar, I would definitely get the thrust angle fixed, a washer should work fine.

As far as CG goes I really think the Yak it should be in front of the spar. Even blueapple, I would try it up there and trim her and see how she flies. I have mine up 1/4 inch in front and I think Michael Holman's latest DW he's got it 3/4 in front.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Redstar, I would definitely get the thrust angle fixed, a washer should work fine.

As far as CG goes I really think the Yak it should be in front of the spar. Even blueapple, I would try it up there and trim her and see how she flies. I have mine up 1/4 inch in front and I think Michael Holman's latest DW he's got it 3/4 in front.
At the spar it wants to dive. If I trim it out for level flight, it really dives inverted and pulls hard towards the canopy in KE on either side. I had it back to 1/8 behind the spar, and it would only slightly dive when visually trimmed neutrally. When trimmed for level flight, it still dove inverted and still pulled towards canopy in KE, though not as bad.

And as best as I can tell, my thrust lines look good - so I don't think motor is pulling it down.
blueapplepaste is online now Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
34 Posts
My 40" has got some sort of issue. It tucks down when KE on either side, away from the canopy. If I move the battery forward it then needs a bunch of up trim which results in diving when inverted.

Suggestions?
TAftonomos is offline Find More Posts by TAftonomos
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,650 Posts
How much are you moving the CG? Seriously.. move things a VERY SMALL AMOUNT at a time. Like 1/16" CG shift at a time. Eventually you'll hit the sweet spot and it'll all come together.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Cali
Joined Jun 2008
282 Posts
Taft, also check your ailerons,make sure they are level with the wing. If level with the wing the top edge of the aileron should line up with the bottom edge of the fuselage. Having a bit of up or down can cause the nose to pitch inverted or on knife edge. This can also affect your tail trim. All parts of each wing surface works together having the rudder slightly askew or a slight twist in the fuse can also cause pitch and roll coupling.Small adjustments make big changes on a 3d foamy. I normally spend a good amount of time making sure everything is true. And after a few months or if I don't fly the plane for 5or6weeks I will re-true it,because foam can distort over time ,or how it's stored.
Joethefloorman is offline Find More Posts by Joethefloorman
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
480 Posts
You should be able to burn off the insulation with a good hot soldering iron with a large drop of solder on the tip. Just put the end of the wire into the liquid solder and the coating should burn off. At least this works with magnet wire I have used in the passed.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
hey everyone. i need some advise. i'm using a scorpion 2218-15 on my 40" edge 540 dw kit. i've had this motor for a few years now, and it's served me faithfully. over the years, and hundreds of flights the connectors have just about worn off....as in the wire going into the bullet connector has worn thin and brittle.
well, without thinking i clipped off the ends of the wire to re-solder. now, i can't get solder to stick to the wire. i'm assuming it's due to the varnish/lacquer that is on the wires. i've tried everything, from using a butane torch to burn the varnish, to using a piece of asprin to aid the solder bond. nothing is working.

i suppose i could just buy another motor, but @ $50 each, i'd rather not. not to mention there is nothing wrong with this one. i just can't get solder to stick.

any ideas?
mdv is online now Find More Posts by mdv
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joethefloorman View Post
Taft, also check your ailerons,make sure they are level with the wing. If level with the wing the top edge of the aileron should line up with the bottom edge of the fuselage. Having a bit of up or down can cause the nose to pitch inverted or on knife edge. This can also affect your tail trim. All parts of each wing surface works together having the rudder slightly askew or a slight twist in the fuse can also cause pitch and roll coupling.Small adjustments make big changes on a 3d foamy. I normally spend a good amount of time making sure everything is true. And after a few months or if I don't fly the plane for 5or6weeks I will re-true it,because foam can distort over time ,or how it's stored.
Hey Joe, how do you "true" a 3D foamy, the wings are a little bent upwards on the wing tips on the one i have. What do you think would be the best way to go about straightening them? This is on a glued togeather airframe. Also do you have any tricks in lining up the airframe as a whole?

Cheers
SIDWULF is offline Find More Posts by SIDWULF
Last edited by SIDWULF; Mar 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:24 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
You should be able to burn off the insulation with a good hot soldering iron with a large drop of solder on the tip. Just put the end of the wire into the liquid solder and the coating should burn off. At least this works with magnet wire I have used in the passed.

Mark
i wish it was that easy. i tried that (and literally every trick that i could think of, and every trick i found searching here and google) nothing would make the solder stick.
i got so pissed off about it, because the scorpion is such a good motor...but a new one is $50. the motor is fine, just can't get solder to stick to the wires.

so i ordered the 1000kv dynamo motor from dw. about half the price of the scorpion, and it seems to pull just as good. i haven't flown it yet, but bench tests are promising.

if anyone wants a scorpion 2215-18 pm me lol.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Anyone know any programming for the dynamo ESC? More specifically, which voltage cutoffs are available and how to set them.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
http://tomsdigitalcentral.com/man/dynam-esc.pdf
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
I saw that too..but are Dynam and Dynamo the same ESC?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,188 Posts
Bad day at the Basin...

Beautiful morning at the Sepulveda Basin yesterday, sun shining, air dead calm! My kinda weather for kicking around with my 48" Yak54.

I got in probably 5 flights and getting ready to head out to the ranch.
At the Basin there are 55 gallon trash cans along the pits. Quite frequently I place my plane upside down on the can to pull the battery, even leave it there for periods of time. No big deal in many years. Always have three or more freinds at that table and have a good ol' time.

I walked off to talk with someone for a time, have no idea how long but another flyer/friend comes up and says "hey what happend to your Yak?" I'm like what? I saw it the trash can and another guy is pulling the Electroncs I'm like
I go down and start verbaly pounding on this guy and he's like whoa I'm just pulling this stuff I didn't touch the plane, looking around I see the park service guys that pick up the trash and stop them. After much foul verbage I find that a punk kid picking up the trash decides my plane is trash and rips it appart

I appoloigized to the first guy as he wasn't doing anything wrong and I got the name of the bozo that made the decision to call my plane trash. I'll send the city a bill, but man what a way to end the day at the basin.

Had a good time at the ranch, 1:20hr flight on my Cularis with get this another heart starter, lost visual at roughly 2000' for at least 30 seconds if not more..fortunetly I had the calmness to walk over 30 yards and ask another person to scan the sky for my plane. after what seemed like another excruciating 30 seconds or so it was found, with the nerves a bit rattled I called it a day.

Be ordering another 48" Yak this monirng. I cannot survive without one

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth