Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:08 AM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Discussion
Parrot AR.Drone

iphone controlled quad rotor with live video link:

http://recombu.com/news/parrot-ardro...ss_M11288.html

Parrot AR.Drone : Flight Demo (Prototype) January 2010 (1 min 56 sec)
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:22 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,398 Posts
.... and it's a "heads down" unit to boot!
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:00 PM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
see this link:

http://www.ardrone.org/parrot-ar-drone/en
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:37 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,559 Posts
That looks crazy!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:13 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Aug 2008
31 Posts
But what if you get a call while flying?!?
boyisabird is offline Find More Posts by boyisabird
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
Parrot Drone

Well, My first response was "Wow that's cool" but then I realized that it is Bluetooth controlled. This means that is probably doesn't have much range, Not enough to see what I couldn't just see in front of me anyhow. It is still neat though, but if it were GSM controlled (which would be possible) then I would be impressed and the cellphone companies would love it too! as they would be making money for you to fly your Parrot. What will they think of next?.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:19 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
Well, My first response was "Wow that's cool" but then I realized that it is Bluetooth controlled. This means that is probably doesn't have much range, Not enough to see what I couldn't just see in front of me anyhow.
No it's not. It uses WiFi. Range is at least a quarter mile.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
514 Posts
I have been corrected, I thought I saw somewhere in a blog that it was BT, My bad. In that case it has jumped a notch or two on the cool gadget meter!.
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:57 AM
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
With a 1000mAh battery and 15C discharge capacity, I don't think you'd get much runtime out of it :P Still, pretty cool!
butterS_ is offline Find More Posts by butterS_
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:04 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
For those of you that have bought the AR Drone, we at MaxAmps.com have the perfect upgrade battery for you.

This is a high-performance LiPo battery pack for the Parrot AR.Drone. The perfect upgrade from the stock pack, this pack boasts a large capacity of 1300mah for 30% more flight time. It features a 90C rating for tons of punch and extra power. Like all MaxAmps.com batteries, this pack is 100% waterproof and comes with a 3-year warranty! Pack includes Align balance connector and small Tamiya female plug so you can charge it with your stock wall charger, or upgrade to a hobby-grade charger for faster charge times.

3-year 300-cycle guarantee
1300mah capacity
3-cell 11.1 volts
True 90C rating
5C fast charge capable
100% waterproof
Built today with factory fresh cells
Built with genuine 16awg Deans Ultra wire
We add the connectors and balancing taps for you
66mm x 35mm x 22mm, 102g
Perfect battery pack for your Parrot AR Drone. Get up to 30% more flight time than the stock 1000mah pack.

Note: This pack is built with the stock plugs shown in the picture for easy plug and play. If you need a different plug or balancing tap, please mention it in the notes section when checking out.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1300-111-Drone-Pack.htm

We have tested this extensively, the stock pack doesn't contain any LVC protection as claimed by Parrot. the LVC device is built into the AR Drone so our packs work just fine. Also we have tested their stock charger as well with our packs and although it takes 35 minutes longer than any of our Hyperion chargers at the same 1 amp rate it will still charge our packs with no issues.

If any AR Drone users have any questions at all feel free to contact me at jason@maxamps.com or by phone at 888-654-4450.

Best regards,

Jason
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
I watched one fly last night in a gym. It was far more stable than my helicopter and far more controlable too. It did lose control signal once, when it lost contact it went into a hover at about three feet agl and stayed in the same place until the pilot walked over to get it.

This thing was amazing. It was flown with an Android phone but not through the normal cellphone system, there was a small repeater plugged into the wall, the link was through it. When control was lost the vid from the quadcopter wasn't lost.

ETA, the video shot from my CX2 was pretty bad because of vibration, it would have been better had the key cam been on the very smooth AR.Drone.
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS