HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2010, 08:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
541 Posts
Help!
Recommendations for Nose Gear Strut for SpringAir 602 on 90mm BAE Hawk

Recommendations for nose gear strut for SpringAir 602 on 90mm BAE Hawk

I am looking for a suitable nose gear strut with suspension for my Fly Fly BAE Hawk. I have fitted a set of Springair 602’s and have drilled these out for 5/32” wire legs. I am happy to use wire legs for the main gear (these will be covered with wheel doors) but I really can’t stand the look of a “wiry” nose gear leg. My AUW is just under 8 lbs.

Any recommendations?

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:41 AM
West Palm Beach , Fl
Joined Dec 2003
68 Posts
Re: nose gear strut

Check out this site. I just ordered one of the nose struts for an 8 lb 90 mm edf.
http://www.goldenskiesrc.com/Products_Landing_gear.html
jetflyr is offline Find More Posts by jetflyr
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,856 Posts
I am using Tam's struts on my 1/7th Fox (black) Hawk......work great and the prices are very good. Give Tam a call or e-mail him. I am using Spring-aire 103 because of the clearence is good for the struts .

The Golden Skies are good struts too.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Struts

I make struts for the Hawk

Larry E.
SouthEast Model Products
Orlando, Fl.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,167 Posts
The real problem with the 602's is that the landing gear wire pretty much retracts flush against the air cylinder.

The lack of any offest means that there is no room for any type of strut between the air cylinder and the pivot point unless its the same diameter as the wire leg.
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,856 Posts
Ken:
The real problem with the 602's is that the landing gear wire pretty much retracts flush against the air cylinder.

The 103s have the offset which is needed for main struts....the nose gear is bulkhead mounted and are o.k. Those are nice looking gear Larry....too bad I already have my gear as those would have looked good on my Fox Black Hawk.

By the way....does anyone know of a "tub" type cockpit which would fit my Hawk(1/7th scale)? I don't want to install a full depth cockpit for my pilots but would rather have something like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160985
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
541 Posts
Thanks for your replies gents, I actually missed them initially and settled for some Robarts - part #656 which I ordered through my LHS:

http://www.robart.com/RoboStruts/380_Series.aspx

They are beautiful, but I was shocked at the price of £54, which is around USD 90 at today's rates. Clearly we get ripped off on American products this side of the pond!

There are some good looking struts in this thread - Larry - your work is great. What would a set of those trike struts cost? Can they be used with other retracts?

As for clearance from the air cylinder on my Springair 602's, I have checked and all is fine. I still have to cut the strut to the desired length and tap a thread in the bushings; need to find an imperial tap 'n die set first...

Lastly, does anyone have an opinion on whether my 602's will hold up to my 8Lbs Hawk (I fly off grass)?. I have drilled them out for 5/32" wire. What is the next size up in retracts that can handle up to, say, 12Lbs?
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Jan 25, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,138 Posts
602's will hold up on pavement just fine at 8 pounds and I have many many landings on 602's, but I have no direct experience using them on grass.

BTW, Robart has gotten fairly expensive for us on the same side of the pond as Robart But the rest of it is probably import fees and taxes for you guys.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:36 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,856 Posts
Jacques:
Clearly we get ripped off on American products this side of the pond!

Expensive is buying anything which cost Euros on this side of the pond.....I am trying to buy American as much as I can....one reason I buy from Tam. Tam only talks foreign but he is all American as for business....(and a good guy to boot).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:32 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,167 Posts
Please post any strut mod pictures you do that work for the 602's
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe View Post
Please post any strut mod pictures you do that work for the 602's
Ken,

I am installing 602 springairs in a Fly Fly F-100. I cut down FF mains to clear the cylinder . But springair made me a special nose retract for the nose gear to clear using all of the FF nose gear. He also drilled them to 5/32. He thought he may make sets for the Fly Fly planes. Give them a call. Great service..

Tony
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:52 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,138 Posts
Did he just machine a different trunion for the 602 nose gear? I have a Spring Air 602 Nose Gear that I'd like to swap out for something like this so I can use a Tam trailing link Nosegear with it. Currently I have a titanium wire gear with a trailing link nose gear attachment but it is wearing out. I need a new nose gear leg.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,370 Posts
I've got a set of 602's on my FlyFly Macchi. The nose gear is the FlyFly oleo and it fits and works fine unmodded. The mains need to use the wire as there is a problem with the oleos there.

Danny
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Did he just machine a different trunion for the 602 nose gear? I have a Spring Air 602 Nose Gear that I'd like to swap out for something like this so I can use a Tam trailing link Nosegear with it. Currently I have a titanium wire gear with a trailing link nose gear attachment but it is wearing out. I need a new nose gear leg.
Yes the trunion is different from the mains. Also the rear screw is not use across the frame.

Tony
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin