HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2010, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
Discussion
New Quad from Parrot to use with an iPhone

I know this has been posted on another thread, but I didn't see it mentioned here:

Parrot AR.Drone
http://www.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/en

I wonder how much it's going to cost...
darinf is offline Find More Posts by darinf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:41 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Just saw it in use on tv...network tv. this morning from the consumer electronics show
looks cool.no price mentioned.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:05 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Let the modding begin
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:32 PM
It's pronounced Caveman...
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Considering that it's for use with an iphone, is practically self flying, includes some extra software, I'm guessing $2,000+.

This isn't some home-built quad, it's a commercialized product, an as such will have morons flying it causing lawsuits and other such problems. And let's face it, the typical iphone/itouch owner won't have a problem paying alot for a cool toy. The canopy is custom designed, and a low-production-run item, and custom software with that 3d gaming mode, so all together this ain't gonna be cheap...

Im intrigued as to whether it has a single board handling the wifi/stabilization routines/video manipulation/etc or if it's a collection of smaller boards. I'm sure it has a seperate encoder chip for the mpeg4 video, but I can't wait to see what this thing looks like torn apart. I also wonder if it will return to home if signal is lost... don't know if I'd trust the iPhones's wifi enough to have it more than 40-50 feet away personally...
c4v3man is offline Find More Posts by c4v3man
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:19 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
If it sells for more than $250, it may fail. It is sold really as a toy game with a novelty flight aspect. Therefore, for its intended market, it requires two to play and much more than a couple hundred bucks and you'll never find two people with them who are close enough to fly.

Having said that, I'm betting we will see a retail cost around $500, placing it solidly outside most people's disposable gaming money. They would probably do much better if they didn't push it so much as a game. Bill it as an 'open' platform, give away the SDK and let people create their own PC or phone apps for the little guy and host them on Parrot's website for all to have.

It certainly is a cool concept. I'm hoping that the cost isn't prohibitive. I'm really watching this one closely.
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:03 PM
USA
Joined Aug 2009
795 Posts
I think it will cost WAY more than $500. i'd be suprised if it were under 1000. what I want to know is what the max payload is. it says it will come in a brushless model. will all that gear it would be a shame if you could not do AP with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McBride View Post
If it sells for more than $250, it may fail. It is sold really as a toy game with a novelty flight aspect. Therefore, for its intended market, it requires two to play and much more than a couple hundred bucks and you'll never find two people with them who are close enough to fly.

Having said that, I'm betting we will see a retail cost around $500, placing it solidly outside most people's disposable gaming money. They would probably do much better if they didn't push it so much as a game. Bill it as an 'open' platform, give away the SDK and let people create their own PC or phone apps for the little guy and host them on Parrot's website for all to have.

It certainly is a cool concept. I'm hoping that the cost isn't prohibitive. I'm really watching this one closely.
importon is online now Find More Posts by importon
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:19 PM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Looks cool and very stable w/MEMs gyros ... but limited range could be its downfall ... some non-edited real footage from CES ... the foam protection frame does look like an updated X-UFO ...

Parrot AR.Drone Invades CES Unveiled (1 min 38 sec)

x-ref thread ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170127

--Eric--
tend2it is offline Find More Posts by tend2it
Old Jan 07, 2010, 01:04 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McBride View Post

The SDK is being released for free I believe, and is being marketed as an open platform for itunes app developemnt without costs. They specifically state in the wiki that they aren't charging you for app sales and that you keep all profits. They may offer a special developer edition of the quad, but the software should be free. They also mentioned that it can be controlled by any wifi device including the video link, however they are only developing for the iphone at this time. Libraries for all functions will be released allowing for easy porting to, say, java for laptops or perhaps android's os or windows mobile.

The thing sounds like it has a freaking flymentor + ultrasonic/sonar heigth sensor built into it, I have a hard time seeing it being cheap...

Again, alot of people who bought iphones bought them at $500+ initially, so it's definately a rich market they are catering to. Apple freely admits this, and has said "they can't make a computer for $500 that doesn't suck". Apple makes expensive products that cater to a class of people that want to say "I have enough money that I can blow it on something cool like this". Granted that prices have come down over time, but that core market segment still exists, and is the exact market that parrot is targeting. I've seen enough children carrying iphones to know that some parents are gonna spend whatever it takes to shut their kids up when they start begging for this.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,099 Posts
CES 2010 video - AR Drone from Parrot real life video game (1 min 54 sec)

AR.Drone Quadricopter at CES 2010 (0 min 30 sec)
massimo is online now Find More Posts by massimo
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:12 PM
Reno, NV
Joined Nov 2009
437 Posts
http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-...videos/#player

After watching the latter videos in this stream I'm actually pretty impressed. Looks like they are using a color imager for the ground sensor... it's really neat to see how they are tracking reference points on the ground. I wish they'd show a diagram of the controls... I fail to see how you control altitude using the iphone.

I also like the green-front red-back tracking lights scheme. I'm wondering if they'll allow access to the downward camera for games... could see that being fun if done right... bombing missions and such (fine... drop raw fruit to make it politically correct or something...)

Here's hoping they also release just the control unit/sensors, and allow for scalability. I'm betting due to the use of 2.4Ghz wifi, they probably won't, since it won't go far anyways... Wheres the version where you DOCK your iphone in it and control it over the cellular network while blaring Ride of the Valkyres.