HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:05 AM
"OLD CHEAPSKATE" FOR SURE
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
Help!
Please help me ID this older ARF "warbird".

I guess it's a WB. It has military insignias on it. It is definetly an ARF. 82" wingspan,63" length body.Try to determine manufacture. It's been around awhile but I am such a sucker for big stuff with potential. I paid $65.00 for it.
As-is.Yes,I know half the tail is missing. I bought a YS F-120 4-cycle from the same guy. (see pic)Do ya think they would be a good match? How do you like my .99 cent exhaust pipe? Came from plumbing dept. of local hardware store. Copper tubing is a perfect fit.

Thanks for any help given.

PS let me know if you think I should have posted elsewhere.
PSS Well,I did my homework AFTER I posted.It appears to be a Great Planes PT-19 ARF. Can't locate a manual though.
nakman8 is offline Find More Posts by nakman8
Last edited by nakman8; Jan 06, 2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:51 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,777 Posts
Yes great planes Pt 19 and its a good flyer
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:53 AM
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hanger9 PT-19

Hi nakman,

I don't think its a great planes one. I think what you have there is the Hanger9 PT-19. I went through this a little over a month ago. I bought the same plane in an auction, and are restoring it. Mine also has an 82" wingspan. You can see it Here!

I was able to find information on line about the plane. Even found the Manual on pdf for it. Let me know if you need a copy. From what I've read online, it's a fantastic flyer. The only issue that I've read is that the landing gear has issues. The plane tends to nose over on take offs/landings, and that the metal for the gear is two thin and bend easy.

My gear is pretty thick, and hard to bend, but in my rebuild, I angled them forward more so I wouldn't have the nose over problem. My plane is almost complete. I live in MA, so I wont be able to maiden her for a few more months.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:07 PM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Just took a better look at your photos. What happen to the piece missing in the top left side of your wing?? Looks like a block section was cut out.

I also found a company that I can buy a new cowl from, but would end up being about $49.00, and would need to be painted. I've spent quite a bit in recovering the model & decals, and just can't see putting more money into her than what I have too. I'm up to about $140 that I sank into her, along with the $75 I spent at the auction to buy her. Looks like your cowl is in a little worse shape than mine.

Also looks like you had some modifications done on the tail wheel too.
Last edited by dweeb7944; Jan 06, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 03:35 PM
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeb7944 View Post
Hi nakman,
I don't think its a great planes one. I think what you have there is the Hanger9 PT-19............
That was my 1st thought also, but I have never owned one, so I thought I would let 'the experts' decide.
BTW. it is spelled "Hangar 9"
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
Just took a better look at your photos. What happen to the piece missing in the top left side of your wing?? Looks like a block section was cut out.

That is damaged are from wing tip catching I suspect. The wing dowel tore loose.
I will have to rebuild it. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 05:48 PM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
ahhhhhh I see.
I had to rebuild mine as well (see photo). Once I opened the wing up, I found a can of worms!!!! The wood that holds the dowel in on mine wasn't even glued in from someone elses repair.

From the your photo, I can't see much, but it looks like your first Rib is missing completely. I would suggest pulling the sheeting off the good side and making a template of the rib for the side that needs to be replaced. From what I remember, Rib 1 & 2 were different sizes. Then just replace the sheeting. You will also need to splice in a new leading edge. I made mine by gluing two pieces of balsa together. I then spliced it in with a 45 degree angle. Sanded and shaped it.

Double check your landing gear blocks for strength as well. Since I did extensive fixing, I ended up replacing both blocks in the wing, on each side, to ensure it was strong. I've read alot of reviews that the blocking on this arf was very bad when it first came out. You can even see from my photo below, it was pretty weak.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
broken tail

How would you go about fixing this?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 08:29 PM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Carefully remove the rudder (Stripe piece) from the tail. There are two wooden braces on each side of the rudder that help secure it to the tail. You will need to remove these carefully. The tail will be glued through the stab (which is cut in half. Again, you will need to remove this all as carefully and in as few pieces as you can. You will need to make a pattern from the stab that you pull out. Should be easy because you have more than half of it.

Trace one side then flip it over and trace the other to make your pattern. You might need to do this as well for the rudder and tail, depending on how it comes apart.

Trace patterns to new balsa. Sand & shape. Apply new monocoat. Measure to make sure Stab and Tail are square to the fuse. Epoxy back on.

The manual might be helpful to show you how the ARF originally went together. PM me your email address and I can send it to you in PDF format. RCGroups has a 3 mb limit on file attachments, so I can't post it on the forum.

Like myself, I think what you bought is a nice winter project plane to put back together.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:02 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 2008
98 Posts
I can suggest a couple of ways to fix the broken tail.
One would be to remove the rudder by cutting the hinges. Then razor saw cut just in front of the fin to the bottom of the stab opening. Looks like there is a covering seam there now.
Then cut from the rear of the plane along the underside of the stab until the cuts meet. Once this is off the plane you can separate the one stab half and use it as a template to build a complete new one and then re-assemble.

Or you could cut off the one half, use it to build the other half, then drill thru the existing stab seat and glue in to 1/4 dowels and modify the stab halves to mate up with dowels and the glue it all back together.

Good luck.
ByronF is offline Find More Posts by ByronF
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:34 AM
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
after surgery

I don't think it turned out too bad. Nothing a gusset and monokote can't cover up.My weapon of choice is resting on the vertical stab.
It should be alot easier to make a pattern now.
Check out price of replacement tail.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAYY1&P=7
Old Jan 07, 2010, 04:04 AM
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
mildew

As you can see from the pic the plane had been stored in a damp location.
Hence,the visible mildew. The mildew is more extensive than shown in pic.
Question is,do I need to do anything about it?
Old Jan 07, 2010, 08:01 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
ewwwwe.
I would try to take care of that. I'm sure others would suggest better, but I would try a cleaning solution that contains bleach and clean it out real good. Throw on some talcum (baby) powder to dry it up for a few days.

That tail from Tower Hobbies is for the great planes version. I'm not 100% sure, but your plane looks more like the Hangar 9 version. The cockpits for both planes are designed differently. The H9 is more rounded. I believe both had a 82" ws. For $60 I think you would be better off fixing yourself. You'll save a little bit of money, and probably feel much better about it after your done.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
ewwwwe.
I would try to take care of that. I'm sure others would suggest better, but I would try a cleaning solution that contains bleach and clean it out real good. Throw on some talcum (baby) powder to dry it up for a few days.

I'm wondering what % solution to use. Got the fuseledge cleaned up.Will leave tail off till motor and eectronics are installed. Luckily my small work bench is narrow and long like the fuseledge.