Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2010, 04:22 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Build Log
MKIII Pogo in progress.

Does anyone have plans for a Pogo? If not how about some decent three views with bulkheads and airfoils ect. that I could make plans from? I'm considering the aircraft for a sport-scale, or even scale project. I'm not sure what size just yet. As we all know you can scale an aircraft, but we just haven't figured out how to scale air yet. Any input from anyone who's attempted this, or seen it in a thread will be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Regards,
-Mike

p.s. I recently saw the new Great planes profile version, and it made me think it would make a nice built up version for sure.
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Last edited by Boneswamped; Mar 29, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:26 PM
1.21 gigawatts
Fort.lauderdale Florida
Joined Jul 2006
724 Posts
Here you go
awesome website airwar.ru
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/xfy1.html
I plan to build ,,one of this days
Eddie
EDDIEGIGOWATTS is offline Find More Posts by EDDIEGIGOWATTS
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:33 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks Eddie,
That's a start, but I'll need more detailed drawings to compensate for my lack of imagination.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Pogo test vehicle

Hey guys,
I'm new to the VTOL section, but have gained a lot of interest recently. I saw the Great planes profile version of the Pogo(which I give all the credit to of course, but couldn't wait the time for it to arrive in the mail). I have always wanted to build a scale version, but kinda forgot about it. I've built and flown nearly every form of R/C aircraft there is over 25 or so years, but never a VTOL(It's fun to be in unknown territory).

-I saw the Great planes version of the pogo; interest renewed!
-I had some gear lying around and a day off today so I threw a test vehicle together in a couple hours to see if I could figure out how the controls worked.
-I wanted to also make sure I could even fly something like this in the first place before begining a scale project. I will probably go ahead and order the Great planes version as well because it looks like so much fun.
-Figuring out the mixes for the controls took longer than building the test vehicle.
-I will need to find a counter rotating prop setup that will be suitable for a 6 to 7 lb range aircraft.(saw a 3-D fixed wing thread somewhere with just that but I cant find it now)
-The test vehicle does not have counter rotating props, and the torque does keep your thumbs busy while in a hover.
-I really need to find some detailed drawings of the original after these tests because they went very well.

The first video shows the controls, the second is the maiden flight without gyros or exponential. It's not as much of a handful as I expected.

Video 8 (0 min 27 sec)

My first VTOL project. Maiden test flight. Test vehicle for (0 min 46 sec)

I'm having fun with the tests. Any info on the Pogo as far as drawings and links to projects appreciated in advance,
Regards,
-Mike
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped View Post
...I'm having fun with the tests...
Looking good man!
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:35 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Thanks RCvert. I'm a VTOL newb so I appreciate input from you veteran VTOL guys.

I'm happy to see there are several counter rotating motor set-ups available. The foamie obviously didn't have it, and flew ok, but my scale project will certainly have counter rotating props. The problem without having counter-rotating setup(As I see it anyway) is that the trims required counter act the motor torque and hover decent, will completely change when the vehicle is transitioned to forward flight.

Silent Hunters Pogo project is by far the nicest project I've seen. I'd be pleased if I came even remotely close to his project with mine.

I'll be testing some forward flight as soon as I get better weather in my area. I'm also task saturated with flying the stupid full scale stuff for the time being, and it's getting in the way of my R/C flying.

Regards,
-Mike
Last edited by Boneswamped; Jan 17, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,102 Posts
Quote:
...The problem without having counter-rotating setup(As I see it anyway) is that the trims required counter act the motor torque and hover decent, will completely change when the vehicle is transitioned to forward flight...
I've never tried one of these birds but unless it's already at scale proportions, making it shorter so the prop airflow is closer to the control surfaces might minimize any change in trim.

Keep us updated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey Guys,
I had a chance to test the transistional flight characteristics today. I had three complete iterations of:
-Vertical take off
-Hover phase with a minute or so hovering
-Transistion to forward flight
-3 closed circuit patterns in each direction
-Transistion to hover
-Vertical landing.

I suspected that the trim setting needed for hover would not be what was needed in forward flight and I was correct. I ended up trimming the vehicle for forward flight and just dealing with the torque from the motor while in a hover.(I'm not too worried about that since the end state vehicle will have counter rotating props)

First of all, sorry no video! I forgot to charge my Flip Hat-camera. It didn't fly as well as I had hoped. I can attribute any deviations from the intended flight path to the weak structure allowing the wings to flex too much. The next test vehicle will be more robust and ridgid. Overall the tests went very well. The third landing resulted in some minor damage because I failed to keep track of my flight time, and it simply ran out of power at approx. 8' at which point gravity took the controls.

I will definately be moving ahead with this project, it's too much fun to stop now.

I will post some pictures of the new vehicle as soon as I can complete it. #2 will take a bit longer to construct as I am going to make it a sport scale, it will probably still have a single prop until I get my counter rotating set-up. The final variant will be as scale as my skills will allow.

I'm considering adding a gyro to each axis, but don't think it will be needed, just convienient.

-Mike
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:24 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Looked at vid very nice!
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:03 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,822 Posts
Mike,
Sounds like the Pogo testing is going well, I look forward to some video footage when you get the time
GYROS!!!..that's just cheating

Will the Mark II version be simular in size?

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Rich,
The gyros(if added) would only be added to the scale version. The scale version will also utilize counter rotating props eliminating the torque roll anyway. The foam test bed flies fine without them, but the torque change caused by changing power settings has to be compensated for manually. Gyro stabilization would allow nearly any skill level to fly it with good results. Take-off and landing would be almost as easy as increasing or decreasing the throttle with little other input required.

This project is a lot of fun for me since it's a change of pace from Heli's, airplanes, and autogyro's. I'll get some footage of the full flight when I can.
The MarkII will actually be larger.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:11 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi guys,
I have had a chance to complete successful transitional flight testing. The Mark I flew as an airplane decently, but has much room for improvement. I bought more foam and glue, and will be working on Mark II as soon as I get a chance. Flying the full scale stuff is cutting into my modeling time for now. I learned all that I intended from the first version and I'm excited about improving on what I've done. I'll post again as soon as I have something worth your time.
Regards,
-Mike
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,
I have had a chance to complete successful transitional flight testing...
What, no video! I'll just pretend I didn't see this post

Glad to hear that it flew good
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:16 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hey guys,
The "Mk I" was tested to destruction today. I have done many VTOL takeoffs, transitional flight, and VTOL landings with this first version. Sorry no video RCvertt, but this crash video might make up for it. The winds were a little higher today, and I was unable to maintain a good vertical hover for landing, the high winds prevented a recovery at the bottom. I wanted to see just how far I could actually push the envelope with wind, and the test was a success since I now have that answer. Anytime you push the envelope, you need to remember it sometimes pushes back. "Mk I" served it's purpose, and the "Mk II" is already under construction.

Video 18 (1 min 13 sec)

Regards,
-Mike
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,
The "Mk I" was tested to destruction today.
Coolest lawn dart ever. The crash didn't look that bad. Glue that thing together and fly.

Nice vid. Looks like it was fun to fly and flew really well. Looking forward to the "MK II".
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread